F
Posted By
fotografica
Jul 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been looking for the update for the Camera Raw plugin to open Raw files coming from my Nikon D200, is there such a thing. Is Adobe only supporting Nikon D200 for CS2?
Ana

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jul 26, 2006
is Adobe only supporting Nikon D200 for CS2?

Yes.

You have three choices:

1.– Upgrade to CS2;

2.– Buy Photoshop Elements and run ACR 3.4; or

3.– Use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert your NEF files to DNG files which in turn can be opened in ACR 2.4 hosted by Photoshop CS.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 26, 2006
If Nikon was using the open DNG format, its raw files would be supported without problem in ACR 2.4…
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2006
Re #1:

3.– Use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert your NEF files to DNG files which in turn can be opened in ACR 2.4 hosted by Photoshop CS.

That should more specifically read:

3.– Use the free Adobe DNG Converter 3.4 to convert your NEF files to DNG files which in turn can be opened in ACR 2.4 hosted by Photoshop CS.
AP
Ana_Pedrero
Jul 27, 2006
I have never used the DNG converter, so I have a questions does the ACR 2.4 have the same file management features in Camera Raw?
Thanks for the fast reply! Wow.
Ana
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2006
????

I’m not sure I understand your question:

ACR 2.4 have the same file management features in Camera Raw?

ACR 2.4 is Camera Raw.
BV
brian_valente
Jul 30, 2006
I have CS2 and the D200 and when I attempt to open the Nikon raw file from the d200 (NEF) it says "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" – what am I missing here? Does this have to do with encryption?

I have 9.0.1 and all the latest updates installed.
BV
brian_valente
Jul 30, 2006
Oops – nevermind. Found the answer – needed to update to the RAW 3.4 version. Not exactly obvious, but thankfully it worked!
R
Ram
Jul 30, 2006
I’m glad you figured it out, because your post had false information in it:

I have 9.0.1 and all the latest updates installed.

Not exactly obvious

I’m always amazed at folks who expect older versions of software to support cameras that did not even exist before the software was released.
LC
Laura_Clay_Ballard
Aug 26, 2006
I have an opportunity to test drive a nikon d200.
I can’t find a raw converter.
From reading this thread I need to upgrade to cs2 (not an option right now) or have my files converted by the DNG (not sure what this means) and then acr2.4? I am clueless about this this one, too! Can someone help me out?
I am currently used a raw converter for my sony cybershot in pscs and it isn’t this complicated. Thanks!
BV
brian_valente
Aug 26, 2006
Ramon

Well, that’s only *sort of* fair. I ran the adobe updater program, which in theory would update all my software. The fact that raw does not update within the standard update framework is not exactly obvious – maybe adobe can put it in there.

Laura – I had to update my adobe raw support to 3.4:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html>

I don’t know if you need CS2 or not

Cheers

Brian
P
PECourtejoie
Aug 26, 2006
Yes, you need CS2 to use ACR 3.x
The DNG converter (version 3.4) is available on the download sections of the site. Then one needs ACR 2.4 to open the DNG file in Photoshop CS.
D
deebs
Aug 26, 2006
How does all this stuff work in a Mac environment?
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2006
Very well indeed!
LC
Laura_Clay_Ballard
Aug 27, 2006
I decided to download the 30 day trial version of cs2.
I then went and got the raw convertr.
It works beautifully. Simpler is better, sometimes.
And, I was going to upgrade to cs2 sooner or later, anyway. Thanks for all your help! You are super!
BV
brian_valente
Aug 27, 2006
It’s a much better program for high res raw photo manipulation anyways. Also I highly recommend you check out optipix plug-ins.

Cheers

Brian
M
mikemiller991
Sep 7, 2006
So now that I have done the above and am able to open my raw images in Photoshop…how do I get Bridge to show the preview?

M
R
Ram
Sep 7, 2006
Mike,

It sounds like you installed ACR in the wrong location.

Read the FAQs at the ACR forum and search for similar threads on the Bridge forum.

The most common mistake is to install ACR in a path beginning with your User library. That is WRONG. That’s why Bridge can’t see the ACR plug-in.

Start the path to the correct folder with the ROOT LEVEL driver:

NameOfYourHardDisk/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats/…

Remove the old ACR that came with Photoshop, move the new one to the correct location, and only then launch Photoshop and Bridge.

Once you’ve done that, Purge the Cache from Bridge’s Tools menu . Cache.

If you have further issues, please post in the appropriate forum for faster replies.

Adobe Bridge Macintosh forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba3d51>

Adobe Camera Raw Forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections