Can you use bluescreen dropouts in Photoshop?

CE
Posted By
charlene_edwards
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a photographer who is giving me shots of models shot on bluescreen — I guess like in the movies, right? Can I do this in Photoshop? I would assume I would have to do it in RGB but will it work in CYMK? My worry is many of the models are wearing blue clothing. Does anyone have any good hints on this one? I searched and all the bluescreen questions were in After Effects and Premiere. My final product will be a clothing catalog printed offset CMYK. I will be working in Creative Suite.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jul 1, 2004
All the blue screen does is make for an easier selected area. It will help.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
You should be working in RGB.
The photographer should (since the clothes are blue) use a green screen.
CE
charlene_edwards
Jul 1, 2004
That’s what I thought. The photos have already been shot with our client (who knows nothing) by a professional who should have known better. I have not seen them yet. I have a feeling this will be a challenge.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 1, 2004
Not a catastrophe! The blue screen has an unusual hue.
(It is the next best color to green)

…. but I wish (for your sake) that the background was well lit (no shadows).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 1, 2004
And he chose to shoot blue clothes against a blue screen — so that they would be easier to silhouette?

Lucky you!
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 3, 2004
If the photographer didn’t know what he was doing, he should have just stuck with white seamless…. <vbg>

Neil
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 3, 2004
Well lit Blue is better than white (regardless of clothing color). It requires some backlight for the models to keep the blue out of hair.
J
jonf
Jul 13, 2004
Check each channel of the original image to see if any of them gives you a clear selection area. The background blue, for instance, may have more red than the clothing, and therefore be easier to select in the red or green channel. You can also duplicate the channel that has the best contrast, then adjust its contrast levels until it’s easier to select the background.
C
CouponBoy
Jul 15, 2004
Silo paths are a bitch but necessary evil most days. A wacom tablet helps relieve carpel tunnel from using the pen tool all day long. 🙂
JS
John_Slate
Jul 15, 2004
If the job is large enough you might want to check-out one of the masking plugins such as Extensis Mask Pro, or Corel Knock-out.

Don’t know about compatibility with the Creative Suite.

Otherwise, you might play with Photoshop’s extract feature, but I have never had much success with that (probably haven’t worked with it enough).

You also might try making a selection of the blue screen with the select>color range option (playing with fuzziness to get the right effect around hair, then enter quickmask mode to edit/paint the inner areas of selected blues out, then go back to normal mode and delete the background.

Naturally you will save as, to maintain your original.

Now if clipping paths is what you are after, to use in a layout…

One word: Don’t
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 16, 2004
Making a selecion out of a copied and manipulated channel, using Knockout (much better than Maskpro) or even trying Extract are all reasonable suggesions. If you have After Effects Pro, you can create a single frame video and use Keylight, which would be far and away the easiest way after the fact to do this. Yes, the photographer should have used a greenscreen, but actually bluescreens are a bit better than greenscreens for skin tone differentiation (unless you are shooting compressed DV footage, which you aren’t). Knocking out a white background generally gives less good results than either bluescreen or greenscreen. One thing to be careful about is edge bluescreen artifacts. The channel manipulation method will not remove these colour artifacts, so if you use this method, you will need to create an edge selection and use either hue/sat or selective colour adjustment layer to fix this. (keylight has controls for fixing this, and is much easier). I think Ultimatte makes a PS plugin just for chromakey work. You could check their website: www.ultimatte.com
Warning: Ultimatte products make Knockout and Maskpro look inexpensive.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections