B
Posted By
bob733
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have downloaded pictures (in my case the sun) and tried using them in pe3. Thay ranged from 72 to 150 dpi jpg or gif. I resized them (with the help of others on this phorum) to 300dpi and then exported them as Tiff files for the printer (to print my brouchure).

However, the printed output lost some sharpness and had (what they called pixelaztion). So I am back to ground zero (before spending the bucks to have all the brouchures printed).

I have been surfing the internet looking for pictures (that are 300 or more) dpi but only finding lessor values (that when resized will lose quality again).

Is there a way I can create (or download) a sunburst…. I am trying the PE3 shapes now and possibly if I can work with it, it will be ok – but I thought someone might know a better (and faster way).

If this question appears convoluted, I appologise up front..

Thanks as always.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
Joseph Meehan
May 25, 2005
wrote:
I have downloaded pictures (in my case the sun) and tried using them in pe3. Thay ranged from 72 to 150 dpi jpg or gif. I resized them (with the help of others on this phorum) to 300dpi and then exported them as Tiff files for the printer (to print my brouchure).

You need a better original. First that dpi is "dots per inch" which is a measure of a printed image not a file. There are reasons why PE3 might use it on a file, but it does not really change the image by changing the dpi. One (of a number) of meaningful specifications of image quality is the total number of pixels or the total resolution of pixels like 1200×1800. This does relate to the possible quality of the image.

A second problem is you can’t add data. If the original is too small, using any program to make it larger will not add detail. It may make editing advantages, but the original image will not get more detail.

The bottom line is you need larger originals and don’t look at the dpi to determine larger.

However, the printed output lost some sharpness and had (what they called pixelaztion). So I am back to ground zero (before spending the bucks to have all the brouchures printed).

I have been surfing the internet looking for pictures (that are 300 or more) dpi but only finding lessor values (that when resized will lose quality again).

Is there a way I can create (or download) a sunburst…. I am trying the PE3 shapes now and possibly if I can work with it, it will be ok – but I thought someone might know a better (and faster way).
If this question appears convoluted, I appologise up front..
Thanks as always.

Bob

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
C
Corey
May 25, 2005
Try to find the largest image possible, regardless of resolution. The more pixels you have the better the potential quality. A 1200 pixel by 800 pixel image at a resolution of 72 ppi is much better quality than an image that is 300 pixels by 200 pixels at a resolution of 1000 ppi.

Peadge:-)
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 25, 2005
Most pictures you’ll find on the internet will be 72 dpi (not all, but most). First, to secure them from being stolen (the copyrighted ones, that is). Also, for space reason. You can’t appreciate a picture if it spans several times your monitor size.

To get a high quality picture, try to search on Google for Stock Photo supplier. Some will sell pictures one at a time. Otherwise, there are inexpensive picture disks you can buy, such as Hemera Photo Objects ( http://www.hemera.com/products/all.jsp;jsessionid=aRv0W3XQxI5e)

Ray
CS
carl_sutherland
May 25, 2005
Bob,

Its unclear to me why you are getting pixelated images with printing at 300 dpi. What is your camera in megapixels? Are you setting your camera for the maximum in pixels and file size?

Carl
B
bob733
May 25, 2005
I got the pictures from God knows where, but it was not my camera. I believe the original images were 150dpi. I resized it to 300 bubonic smoothing but that did not help. So, I am back to tyring to create a sunburst using shapes from Photoshop, and possible other programs I can import.
IL
Iain_Laskey
May 26, 2005
I got the pictures from God knows where If you’re using a photo, especially commercially, you either need to own the copyright or pay for the usage of it. Just using a photo you picked up somewhere is illegal.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 26, 2005
It really depends on where you picked the image up as to if it is legal to use it or not.

…. and there are sites where you can pick up free images and then use them quite legally … try this one:

<http://www.morguefile.com/>

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections