File format grief – CS, OS, JPEG or all three?

L
Posted By
LanceBellers
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having problems transferring Photoshop files from my G3 blue-and-white desktop (OS 9.2.2) and my new Powerbook 17" (OSX 10.3.4).

Nearly all the PS files I use are saved as follows: cmyk eps with jpeg encoding on max. I have literally thousands of these files in various client picture libraries and so the problems I am experiencing are quite a worry.

What I am finding is that when the files are transferred onto my Powerbook (either via USB stick or burning to CD) is that none of these files can be opened by Photoshop CS (I am using PS 7 on my G3). I get the message ‘Could not complete your request because an invalid JPEG marker type is found’.

I also find that I cannot make pdfs from InDesign files where these pics have been placed as ID’s pdf engine cannot process the images (it runs the rest of the ID pages OK though and just gives me blank pic boxes on the pdf. I have tried lots of settings, no joy).

So, is it:

a) Something to do with 9.22 and 10.3.4?

b) something to do with PS 7 and CS?

c) something to do with saving eps files with jpeg encoding?

d) Some combination of above?

Help! Any advice much appreciated…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jun 23, 2004
..eps files are are nothing but trouble in my book.

That said.

Do they have the .eps extension??
L
LanceBellers
Jun 23, 2004
They do. Have never had any probs at all in years using G3…
B
Buko
Jun 23, 2004
hmmmm…
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 23, 2004
But the files open fine on the G3 right??

I’d say it’s a corruption issue then. Somewhere in the copying/burning of files. Can you move just one smaller file between machine and have it open in CS?
L
LanceBellers
Jun 28, 2004
Phew, finally sorted it. Scott, you were right, it was to do with corruption on transfer.

I tried USB stick, CD on normal and extended formats to transfer from G3 to Powerbook, no joy. Fianlly tried using the Powerbook as ‘Firewire Target Disk Mode’ (ie, G3 sees it as a separate hard drive and file transfers done via Firewire cable) and now it all works fine – PShop eps files open OK.

Many thanks, thought I’d post here as assume useful for people to know outcome of problems 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections