File-format Module Cannot Parse the File?

CT
Posted By
Cin Tam
Sep 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A family member is sending me photos in Compu-Serve GIF format and they are averaging 3-4 MB per photo. I don’t think she knows about compression. Anyway, some of them will open in my PS 1.0 program, but several of them will not and the message box says they won’t open because "the file-format module cannot parse the file". This is the first time I’ve ever seen this message…can anyone enlighten me? I want to resize them in PS, but I can’t get them open to do anything with them.

Oh, why can’t I use filters on CompuServe gifs?

Thanks,
Tam

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DS
Dick Smith
Sep 10, 2003
"the file-format module cannot parse the file".

Tam,

Sounds like the file is corrupted in a way that Elements cannot make sense of the file format. You might ask the sender to re-send the file.

Also, that seems pretty big for a GIF file. Why not have them sent to you in JPG format?

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
CT
Cin Tam
Sep 10, 2003
I’ve tried to explain JPG format to her and get her to compress that way, but she has never scanned before and is doing it somehow through her laptop, which is on a network or something. The files will open in my e-mail program and I can save them and open them everywhere except in PS. Usually if the file is corrupted, they won’t open at all anywhere and a box will tell me that it’s corrupted. Haven’t seen that yet…they just won’t open up in PS so I can make them smaller.

Thanks for your reply.

Tam
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
If you can get them open in another program, save them to a different format, then try opening them in Elements. She’s scanning to a gif? I sure hope these aren’t old treasured family photos! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections