W
Posted By
WilliamV
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem opening any document by double clicking it. It opens fine through the file>open in Photoshop, but if I doulble click any photoshop file it will open/start the program but not the file. I have thrown away the Photoshop Preference file and that did not work. I have changed the "open with" in the Info panel. That did not work. Here is my system configuration.

Mac G5 dual
System 10.3.4
PhotoshopCS version 8

Any Help out there?

Thanks
WV

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jun 17, 2004
Please, please, oh, please… read the FAQs.

This issue is clearly addressed there.
W
WilliamV
Jun 17, 2004
Don’t make me feel like a dumb ass. If you know how to help I would appreciate it. I tried that. Maybe I am not asking the right question but I couldn’t find that in the FAQ. If you know how to help I would appreciate an answer.

wv
W
WilliamV
Jun 17, 2004
Ramon
Found it.

Thanks

asshole!
B
Buko
Jun 17, 2004
William you lazy SOB.

the FAQs are there because these questions are asked all the time.

and the users that help out get burned out giving the same answer over and over.

they can’t help it if you are blind as a bat, or you can’t be bothered to look

your piss poor attitude will work against you if you need more help later on down the road

If the answer is not worth looking for then its not worth having.
CZ
Camine_Zapperoli
Jun 17, 2004
Wow. What a thread. And I thought this was a professional community.

Thank goodness, after reading this heated forum, I was able to find the FAQ section, which seems to me is very difficult to find.

In case there is anyone else out there like me who has little time to be made to feel like an idiot, and even less patience to read more foul mouth forums, here is the link to the answer in FAQ’s.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee9d6b1>

The answer was:

Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/ .
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
Camine:

You are welcome any time and will normally find knowledgeable and friendly fellow users here who will do their best to help you.

However, you will find that "attitude" generates "ATTITUDE". Here or anywhere else!

William the Fifth brought it upon himself.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 17, 2004
I agree with Camine.

The "regulars" here all too often react to "frequently asked questions" with acrimony and derision. The "attitude" problem really doesn’t start until the (usually) angry "Read the FAQs" retort happens.

The nature of a forum is that anyone logging on has a right to expect that a quetsion will get answered. Rightly or wrongly. The FAQs are hard to deal with. Most questioners are in some kind of quandry to have posted in the first place and are asking for direct help. It’s human nature to expect actual responses in a place like this, rather than be told to "look it up." Sure, it’s justifiable to expect a newcomer to any kind of group to look up the rules about the place, but that expectation is way out of line for people coming here to get help.

The fact that "repeat" questions have become annoying to individuals who use this place as a social function is an indication of rudeness and intolerance. The forum is about helping others and the regulars have no right to make this a hostile place. If you don’t want to respond, don’t. No one is forcing you to sit at your terminal and respond to people having problems. If you want to direct the questioner to a specific "FAQ," it would be nice to supply the link. Most times, giving a direct answer takes less effort than ranting about using the FAQs as Camine’s brief post with it’s direct solution shows.

VL
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 18, 2004
I have no problem with Ramón’s answer; in fact I answered the exact same question a day before in almost the same way. The FAQa are not that hard to find or read.

"Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file" seems perfectly desciptive of the problem and is almost phrased exactly as WilliamV asked it.

William’s response was completely uncalled for.

Maybe the Forum moderators could consider making the FAQa type larger like on the Windows forum. Maybe even make it red.
R
Ram
Jun 18, 2004
WilliamV

Don’t make me feel like a dumb ass.

Nobody can make you feel that but yourself.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 18, 2004
By the way, this place is sweetness and light compared to the Photoshop newsgroups.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
Large, red, AND dancing perhaps?

Would that be sufficient get the idle ones to actually READ before posting?
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 18, 2004
Why should anyone have to read the FAQs before posting? Is that a new rule here?

That attitude really flies in the face of the purpose of this forum. It’s spirit is not that it is a repository of written information for people with problems to search through. That may be the way some people solve problems. But this is a "User to User" forum. Remember THAT?

William’s first response to Ramon was quite understandable and absolutely predicatble. Why should he, "PLEASE PLEASE READ THE FAQS?" Is it really so terrible to Ramon that William has just discovered a problem that Ramon and others solved weeks ago? How declasse! How pedestrian of William! How objectionable that he should ask for help. Dosen’t he realize people here have better things to do than pay attention to "old" problems?

William’s second response was over the line. (But again completely understandable) That doesn’t change a thing.

It’s really too bad that some of the participants here have grown weary of the "redundant" questions from newcomers.

This place may be sweetness and light compared to some other hell hole, but the ever-increasing intolerance of newcomers asking questions is simply uncalled for.

I guess it hasn’t occured to any of the "regulars" that the objection to the "Read the Faqs" put down is a universal reaction from individuals who have no ax to grind other than to that rude reception.

VL
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 18, 2004
Ann,

"be sufficient get the idle ones to actually READ before posting?"

Whoops missed that part.

"Idle ones"

Lady, you are a piece of work.

VL
R
Ram
Jun 18, 2004
For quite sometime now I have abstained from commenting on any of Venicia’s posts, indeed skipping most of them, remembering well my first encounter with her and having had my fill of her scolding others on this forum. I take advantage of the opportunity her addressing me in the third person offers me to assure her, in similar fashion, that I have no intention of breaking lance with her. I freely admit to my complete ignorance of all aspects of her chosen field of endeavor and expertise, as I don’t have the slightest clue as to what an "art director" is or does. Perhaps she places too much emphasis on the "director" part of her job description and has developed a keen disciplinarian’s sense of behavior control.

As for the post that ostensibly triggers her latest tirade, I have to say that it was only my reaction to someone not just failing to think about looking for the FAQs, but indeed not even reading the titles of the topics of several recent threads. It is the cumulative effect of repetition that makes a mere mortal sinner react with impatience and frustration to situations to which other, privileged, ethereal beings can haughtily but perhaps legitimately claim to be impervious. It’s a pity that I can’t live up to her standards of perfection. Wretched old me!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
Perhaps we need a Preamble like they have in the Windows Forum?

<< Photoshop Windows

Welcome to the Adobe Photoshop Windows Forum.

Before posting a question, click here to view the comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions which cover all the common and not so common issues.
When posting a question, always indicate which version of Photoshop and Windows you are using.

Click here for advice on How to ask your Question. Asking questions correctly will get you a quicker answer

Click here to search Adobe’s Photoshop Knowledgebase.
Click here for downloads and updates, including the Adobe Photoshop CS tryout

Click here for the Photoshop Macintosh Forum >>>>>>>

[The emphasis is theirs.]

————–

And yes Venicia, I do consider that someone who can’t be bothered to do the most basic Search, or read the FAQ’s before plunging in with a new post is somewhat indolent.

Various people have taken the trouble to contribute those FAQs so that other Users can find a quick answer to their problems.

William the Fifth was directed — very politely — to check out the FAQs. His rude response was unacceptable and I am surprised that you condone it.
P
Phosphor
Jun 18, 2004
" Why should anyone have to read the FAQs before posting? Is that a new rule here?"

No. It’s a pretty common bit of protocol, both on forums and in newsgroups, as well as on just about any well-trafficed info source on the web. They exist to serve the efficient transfer of information.

The sooner people understand that that bit of pervasive protocol, the better.

Think about it: Why would anyone go to the trouble of assembling a cohesive set of common Q’s & A’s? Just to occupy time of the people who contribute to and gather them together? For the amusement and edification of the people who already know the answers or know how to find the answers?

NO.

They are assembled so as to be of benefit to those newcomers looking for information. Reading FAQ’s is almost always faster than posting a question and waiting for an answer.

Cripes, I hope schools are teaching the youngins how to successfully and independently mine information these days.

Hey, I have a project for you, Venicia: Spend as much time as you can over the next 5 years here (like I have for the previous 5), and see if your pollyanna attitude doesn’t get a little crusty and sour at times.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 18, 2004
Do I get any credit in this thread because I actually posted that FAQ? 😀

I saw no problem with Ramon’s response.
P
Phosphor
Jun 18, 2004
I didn’t bother to read your contribution, Scott.

;)!

But I DO know where to find it if the need should arise!
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 18, 2004
Perhaps you need to read the Headline banner on the main forum page.

"User to User Forums"

"Share questions, suggestions, and information about your Adobe products."

See the word "Share?" Remember, you were supposed to learn that concept in Kindergarten.

It doesn’t mean, "Go look it up, stoopid."

It doesn’t mean, "We’ve moved on from that discussion here, dummy. Go read about it, if you can find it."

It doesn’t mean that someone coming here with a question you’ve previously discussed is "idle" or lazy or any other of the implications that "Read the Faqs" conveys.

Absolutely, people asking questions should furnish information so that others can help. But each one who fails to do so is a NEW member. It’s not as though everyone who will eventually post here is the recipient of briefing instructions that this site has distributed.

And the requirement that a newcomer (usually in the throws of a bad hardware or software problem, and typically sweating bullets about it) be required to read through a firewall of rules and then search through FAQs before he/she may be "permitted" to ask for help, frankly stinks.

"And yes Venicia, I do consider that someone who can’t be bothered to do the most basic Search, or read the FAQ’s before plunging in with a new post is somewhat indolent."

Ann, the Adobe Forum Nazi. I don’t have to describe you for what you are. You actually come right out and trumpet it! Shall they put their hands on their desks now so you can punish them with your metal-edged ruler?

I’d like to know who died and made you guys rulers?

VL
P
Phosphor
Jun 18, 2004
What part of my explanation about referring newcomers to FAQ pages as common web protocol don’t you understand, Venecia?

FAQ pages almost everywhere I travel online are almost always clearly referenced and linked to. And the regulars consistently point people toward them.

Like I said, the sooner newcomers (I’m referring to people new to the web as a source of info gathering) understand this bit of protocol, the better it is for all concerned. New visitors learn the value and speed of self-sufficiency, and the regulars can then devote more quality time to queries that don’t neatly fall within the "FAQ" category.

Granted, it can be done diplomatically, or it can be done flippantly, but it IS an establshed procedure.

Ramón proffered that advice, short and sweet.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 18, 2004
Phosphor,

My name is Venicia.

FAQs are to inform newcomers about rules, regulations and other cast-in-stone housekeeping issues that would bring the operation of a forum to a boring halt if continually discussed in the open discussion area. THAT’s the protocol you’re referring to.

To require someone with a problem, NEW TO HIM, to slog through "FAQs" because others have already solved that problem makes no sense to anyone but the bored, elitist, "volunteers" who find such questions so bloody annoying. The so-called "FAQs" to which you are referring are not "frequent" at all. They simply have occured before. And you are blaming the unwitting newcomer for being the second one to experience the problem. Are you going to assert that the very first poster with the particular problem triggering this thread, diligently serached the "FAQs" before asking his question? Bull!

Why don’t you read my previous message again?

And look up the meaning of "share," as in sharing of knowledge.

VL
P
Phosphor
Jun 18, 2004
Sorry about misspelling your name. I’m usually pretty diligent about that sort of thing.

"FAQs are to inform newcomers about rules, regulations and other cast-in-stone housekeeping issues that would bring the operation of a forum to a boring halt if continually discussed in the open discussion area. THAT’s the protocol you’re referring to."

No, it’s not. I wrote what I meant, and I meant what I wrote. I’m usually pretty diligent about that as well.

Obviously, we are of different minds on the issue.

I’ll STFU about it if you’ll do the same, mmmmkay?
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 18, 2004
"New visitors learn the value and speed of self-sufficiency, and the regulars can then devote more quality time to queries that don’t neatly fall within the "FAQ" category."

Got that new visitors? Don’t ask stupid questions on the Adobe Forum becuase it hinders the "regulars" from devoting QUALITY TIME to smart questions.

My lord, are these people full of themselves!

Reminds me of a line from "Blazing Saddles" about masturbation.

VL
R
Ram
Jun 18, 2004
Share, share, share, share …

Characteristically, the fact that my reply led the original poster to solve his problem within five minutes after he read it escapes Venicia. I shared; the original poster projected his embarrassment and anger with himself onto the very individual who pointed him in the right direction. That’s the difference.

A Photoshop Macintosh forum search on the user ID «Venicia L_2» yielded a curious collection of posts berating, belittling or criticizing a wide variety of other forum users for their posts. In a very recent one she even stoops to using a despicable epithet, Nazi, to insult one of the most prolific contributors of helpful posts on this forum. Not only is this an affront to the victims of the Holocaust that trivializes their victimizers, but it’s very revealing of her deeply rooted hostility. That is what she shares.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
Venicia seems to come here to hurl abuse at the very people who give the most time to helping visitors to this forum.

As she finds this place and its inhabitants to be so distasteful to her, and as she contributes so little of value here anyway, I would suggest that she might like take herself elsewhere so that she no longer has to suffer our presence — or we, hers.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 18, 2004
I’d like to know what dress size she is wearing.

Um,

I’m thinking something, um,- in a summer fresh lime to match the hair.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 18, 2004
I was thinking something more in a snake motif, to match the hair….
VL
Venicia_L
Jun 18, 2004
That’s a shame Mr. Ornellas. I had always perceived your off-beat wackiness to be a refreshing respite from the overwhelming judgemental and negative atmosphere here. You sort of stood apart from the self-important and strident tones that are so prevalent. Guess I was wrong.

The dress size is 4, thanks. But the hair is dark brown. I tried lime once, it was really too tame.

Chris, sweetie. No snakes, but you couldn’t keep up for 30 seconds, anyway.

Fight nice, kids. The place is all yours. You’ve done a great job of making it one of the most unwelcome sites around. Ask around some time. The Adobe Photoshop Forum is known to be as hostile and as unwelcoming as it gets.

Love and kisses,

VL
P
Phosphor
Jun 18, 2004
Smell ya later.
JS
James_Simcox
Jun 18, 2004
I’m very disappointed in the tone of the posts in this thread. I read this forum daily, and have for a couple of years. I don’t often post, but I do glean much helpful information from the knowledgeable participants here – and appreciate their sharing their knowlege and experience.

When any of us descends to a level of participation that is crude, rude or unkind, it certainly negatively affects the value of the forum for me and for others like William and Venicia. William asked a simple question – one like I might have asked. There is no reason to ridicule him for it. This is a public forum – I would think that those of you who participate frequently would welcome those who are beginning down that path of learning this software – and oftentimes you do. Why the venom had to erupt for this simple post is a puzzle to me.

What has become of the Golden Rule? I would hope to see some apologies following this series of posts. Is that possible?
B
Buko
Jun 18, 2004
Who called who an A–hole first.

hhhmmm…..

It was the lazy person who got helped.

who is the real A–hole???

Ramon?? who pointed to the Answer the Scott was kind enough to to take the time to write out so others with this problem could get help instantly. I think not.

BTW pointing someone to the FAQs is not ridicule

its help.

willy didn’t get blasted till he used the A word
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 18, 2004
Look Richard,

No girl that I know of wears a size 4 in this printing industry and if you do find one, she’s busting out at the seams, wares strange make-up, smells like type wash, and doesn’t brush her teeth.

Other than that, yes, the forum is what it is. Do the regulars get a bit punchy at times. yes, I’m guilty of answering questions that seam to be just beyond completely moronic, but I do try, as an educator, to be light hearted even when I’m heavy handed, out of my mind and pissed off due to the insanity that plagues my screen.

As an intellectual such as you, "should" be able to get past it all…..

So I speak in riddles because the words get in my way.

I smoke the whole thing to my head, so the fears just wash away.

I dig a little hole in your suffering heart, because I need a place to rest my head.

cuz it’s always raining in my head.

Forget all the things I should of said.

I’m nothing more than………. a little boy inside.

That cries out for attention……

That I always try not to hide……

But I know I’ll do the right thing…….if the right thing isn’t fear…..

cuz it’s always raining in my head……

Forget all the good things……… I should had said.

Konversation Kills.

……….because I suffer for you.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 18, 2004
I’m on the inside, looking outside.

I can see colors, colors of you.

I can see in you………see your true colors.

Inside your ugly……

ugly like me…..

show me your world and I’ll show you mine.

all the times that I’ve cried my intentions of pride….

all the time….

ugly like you.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
Seems that a secret identity has now been revealed!

And to think that I was, at one time, seriously concerned about that individual’s health!

All concern is herewith withdrawn!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 18, 2004
Everything is right in front of you……

not what you say, ….but what you don’t say……..

find a way……

just make everything go away……..

ugly like you…..

everything I can’t remember…

consequences that I’ve rendered….

programmed to be that way….

cuz I suffer………….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 18, 2004
but I still remember how you taste……
P
progress
Jun 18, 2004
anyone got change for the coke machine?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 18, 2004
For Classic?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 18, 2004
Crashic.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 19, 2004
William,

I’m still considering the validity of your existence. Basically, I smell a troll with many names.

If not, I apologize.

Many folks miss the FAQ at the top of this forum, and something really needs to be done about it.

As for the regulars here, we all need to take a deep breath and consider that we all were very ignorant at some point in time.

Please use good judgment when giving advice, even if it’s really a basic question, pass or try and find it within yourself to take the higher road.

Be a mentor to those who seek guidance.

and yes, "call the kettle black"

and I’m dark as night….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 19, 2004
Words of wisdom — but sometimes even the most shining kettles just blow their tops……

:~)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 19, 2004
hey,

there’s no halo around this head, or the other one and I don’t fear, fear.

I’m pretty much free to be me and always shall be.

I’m not a number, I’m a free man.

others?

hmm..
W
WilliamV
Jun 24, 2004
I just clicked back here because I had bookmarked the post. I am surprised at the response of so many people and how serious you all take this forum. I asked a simple question and got what I thought was a rude answer. I am not a regular to "Forums" and don’t know my way around this particular forum. In hind sight I should have looked around more, but I was frustrated and the post message was in front of me so I posted.
Ramons response could have given me a link to the FAQ’s and he could have avoided the sarcastic "Please,please, please" response. Or if he was truly fed up with answerring a question that may have been circulating for days he could have just not responded. It was his choice to be rude and arragant to a newcomer.
R
Ram
Jun 24, 2004
What Buko said. WilliamV is a lazy s.o.b., and an ungrateful idiot to boot.

Another hint for a "newcomer" (to the real world?) : There is a spelling checker function on this forum you can use before posting.
B
Buko
Jun 24, 2004
William you were the rude one.
R
Ram
Jun 24, 2004
From the FAQs in the Forum Comments and Announcements:

How to Ask Effective Questions < http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?230@@.2cd06dab.2cd06 cd9>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 24, 2004
Particularly:

<< Before you Post:

Firstly – have you really checked the ‘help’ option in the program? Many problems can be solved far faster by getting the answer from the Help File.

Secondly – check the Forum FAQ folder. There’s advice there on many common questions and problems. Click here to view the FAQ’s now. >>

and

<< Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone An agressive or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply Remember, you are requesting Help from other users, just like you, who are giving their time free of charge. No-one is under any obligation to answer your question. >>

But now that William knows this, I am sure that he will handle matters better next time that he comes here.
HJ
harvey_jewett
Jun 24, 2004
Well, I can see nothing has or will ever change on this forum. It doesn’t take long here to find a thread like this. Most of this would be avoided if you just didn’t respond to posts already answered in the FAQ. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. Almost everyone on this forum has something we can all benefit from but when a lot of the discussions lean this direction most people have no desire to return. If a post goes unanswered long enough, the person who posted it will find their answer elsewhere, maybe even in the FAQ, and you will have not wasted a single second answering a redundant question. Before I ever came to this forum I put the professionals at Adobe up on a pedestal as great thinkers and achievers. Now, I just see them as a group of talented, egotistical, eletists who waste most of their time arguing over who is a bigger A-hole or idiot and less time providing thoughtful solutions to common problems found using their software. Yes you are talented but that’s about the only thing nice I can come up with to say.

Well there’s my two cents that I should have just kept to myself for now I’m a hippocrit within my own post. You can blast me if you want to but it will probably be months before I come back to this site. I still find it odd that you complain about a dumb question wasting your time but you had plenty of time to write all these posts complaining about helping people. If you don’t want to be helpful DON’T HELP!
R
Ram
Jun 25, 2004
… it will probably be months before I come back to this site

😀
M
merge
Jun 25, 2004
This has been an interesting thread. From my point of view (regarding this thread) – as having only recently been perusing these forums – the tone has been that of elitists cracking down on the ignorant that dare to not abide by the "protocols" that all users certainly must be aware of. I don’t believe that all of the protocols you talk about are all that clear. I never frequent forums or news groups except to get an answer to a particular question. I switched to OSX, which made me switch to CS, which caused a lot of new problems, so here I am. The last thing I would want is to be ridiculed for being ignorant about what most of you now take for granted. I have come to realize that this is a community and people talk in shorthand to one another, but ultimately this is not a forum for the few but for all Adobe product users. And I do believe that the regulars, for the majority of the time, are very cordial and helpful. Just not this time.

I think WV’s remark (calling Ramon an a__hole) was completely uncalled for. But having read this thread from the getgo, I too was a bit put off by Ramon’s "please, please, please" and VERY bold, VERY red text, and felt it to be written in an insulting manner (maybe getting rid of the red might help). I thought Venicia made some valid points before she also slid into derisive language. I think Ann’s suggestion to possibly post a clearer message to "rookies" at the beginning of the page, to spell things out, could be helpful. Now let’s all play nice…
R
Ram
Jun 25, 2004
Clicking on "Merge’s" name also yields an interesting collection of posts.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections