GV
Posted By
Glen_Vanderbilt
Jun 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Digital pics I am attempting to pass on to a print designer have been saved in PS 7 and/or CS on a Mac (OS 10.3) as .jpg or .tif all at max. quality. The designer, also on Macs, running PS 5, 6 and/or 7, claim they cannot open them. They get an error message that says it is a "parsing problem". Any sugestions on what I can do to fix this, or is this their issue?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jun 19, 2004
Glen,

If you do a forum search on parsing or parsing problem, you’ll find some threads in which this has been discussed before. There are apparently many causes for this.

The version of Photoshop they’re using is important, in that there is a known bug in Photoshop 6.x which prevents it from opening some files created in Photoshop 8 ("CS"). 5.x and 7.0.1 seem not to be affected. Please look in the FAQs (click HERE

On other occasions, NAV (Norton Anti Virus) needs to be disabled.

Also, the files may be getting damaged in transport. Especially if AOL is involved on either end.

Good luck in your search.
GV
Glen_Vanderbilt
Jun 20, 2004
Thanks for the reply and information. I had done a search and came up with no hits, but I will try again. AOL was not involved, the images are on a CD done in the usual manner.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 20, 2004
Some images saved in Photoshop CS will not open in Photoshop 6

Chris Cox – 03:44pm Feb 13, 2004 Pacific

We have confirmed that some files saved from Photoshop CS will not open in Photoshop 6. This is due to a bug in Photoshop 6, not in CS.

These files open correctly in Photoshop 3, 4, 5, 5.5, 7 and CS on both platforms.

The solution is to upgrade the copies of Photoshop 6 to Photoshop CS.
R
Ram
Jun 21, 2004
G Ballard has quoted the entire text of the link I included in post # 1 here.

Glen needs to find out if they’re in fact using Photoshop 6.x on the other end.
GV
Glen_Vanderbilt
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I did find some of that info on the forum. Yes, they are using PS 6, but also claimed the same problem with PS 5.

I looked at each of the images they were having trouble opening and each one had been edited and saved in PS CS, which seems to default to a Progressive format when saving the jpeg. I changed that to Optimized (using PS 7) and they were able to open it, finally.

So there are problems going back and forth with PS CS. Best find out what versions your associates are using!

Thanks for your assistance.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 22, 2004
"they…also claimed… 🙂
R
Ram
Jun 22, 2004
Glen,

They’re giving you plain, unadulterated BS. Only Photoshop 6.x has that problem. It’s due to a bug in version 6, not 8.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 22, 2004
that’s pretyy harsh maybe theyre just learning…
R
Ram
Jun 22, 2004
to count?
GB
g_ballard
Jun 22, 2004
🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections