DW
Posted By
Dennis_Wilson
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d be grateful for advice on scaning B&W negs (Kodak Tmax 100 and 3200 film with the Nikon Coolscan 4000ED). Specifically, I’d like to know if I should scan in greyscale or RGB and if there is a visible difference in 8 and 14 bit mode. Images will be for a variety of print and electornic projects, but need to be very high quality (for books and calendars). I’ve scanned some in greyscale and some RGB and can see a slight but obvious differnece.

If I convert an RGB scan to greyscale in p’shop, will this leave me with the "same" file as scanning in greyscale??

8 bit or 14 bit (for B&W and color slides)? I can’t notice any difference in the prints (with Epson 2200 using Epson premium semi-gloss and luster paper).

Any other general advice on scanning color slides and B&W film would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
Raymond_McKinley
Jun 15, 2004
Dennis

Here is a link to a good tutorial on scanning b&w film. It is a little long but produces good results. For scanning color slides I usually assign a Monaco EZ Color profile in PS and do a perceptual conversion to Adobe RGB. When the slides are underexposed, I usually use the Luminosity part of the LCH curves to set brightness, and use the hue for color adjustments, and then fine tune with curves. The advantage to using the luminosity curve is that It works like LAB in Photoshop and doesn’t affect contrast.
<http://www.shutterbug.net/features/0902sb_bw/index.html>

Raymond

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections