Roland_Dumas
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7 will no longer launch. Arror says "shared library error"

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2004
It’s still working fine on my systems.

Try disabling any third party plugins and see if it will launch.

Also, it could be a TWAIN driver or printer driver causing problems.

And, as always, repair permissions on the system drive.
VL
Venicia_L_2
May 27, 2004
It’s OK here, also. G4 400, 1.5 Gig RAM.

In fact I am seeing a huge speed boost over 10.2.8. Everything. Especially screen redraw and file I/O! My old machine feels as responsive as it did with OS 9.

VL
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
Yes, 10.3.3 was a huge improvement over the pitiful Cheetahs, Pumas and Jaguars. Hope 10.3.4 proves to be at least as fast as 10.3.3.
P
Phosphor
May 27, 2004
I’m anxious to see what the Tiger’s lair holds.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
You can go there first!
And do report back — if you, and your machine, get out alive.
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 27, 2004
repaired permissions
reinstalled OS update
PS still won’t launch. Doesn’t even get to the loading of plug-ins Dead in the water.
C
Camoin
May 27, 2004
10.34 kills Photoshop CS also. It tries to start, but hangs on "checking memory" I’ve reinstalled photoshop, but no use. Anyone help?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
7 and CS are both fine here too.

Did you try trashing Photoshop 7’s prefs.?

Also you need to launch 7 before CS if you want to run both at the same time.

If it still doesn’t work, try re-installing it — after trashing the Prefs.
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
This link (CLICK HERE <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@@.68921c2d>) will take you to an article/post at the Apple discussion boards that deals with troubleshooting and regular maintenance of OS X.

I really think that the link could find a permanent place as one of the FAQs.
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
If Photoshop does not work with 10.3.4 then you must have serious problems with your system.

Its not photoshop.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 27, 2004
I guess Apple finished coughing up all their hairballs with Cheetah, Puma and Jaguar. %D
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 27, 2004
Yes. If photoshop is healthy
update system to 10.3.4
then photoshop won’t launch
I assume the 10.3.4 or its installer mucked with something that it shouldn’t have.

that much is obvious. How to fix is the question. How many others have same problem and what are the commonalities? (I have PS on another volume, for instance)
C
Camoin
May 27, 2004
I know it’s not Photoshop. I have another boot drive with 10.3.2 and Photoshop CS works just fine if I boot from that. You’d think I would have learned after the 10.2.8 disaster. But no.
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 27, 2004
I tried to file a report with Apple, but they want me to pay $45 to file a bug report.
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 27, 2004
reinstalling ps cures the problem
SS
Susan_S.
May 27, 2004
My copy of PS CS (and Elements2 and all the other apps) survived the upgrade.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
Roland your computer is F’d up the system update works fine as do Photoshop 7 and CS. You most likely need to do an Archive and install to get a clean system. then apply the 10.3.4 update. everything works as it should, its just your setup.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
<< (I have PS on another volume, for instance) >>

That may well have been the problem. It seems that OSX does not like you to move things from their appointed place: applications need to be in the Applications folder for example.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
Ann – the application location doesn’t matter.
VL
Venicia_L_2
May 28, 2004
I’ve actually gotten Photoshop (7) that is installed on a 10.2.8 volume to run by invoking it from the 10.3.4 partition on which no applications have yet been installed.

VL
RL
Ronald_Lanham
May 28, 2004
Roland

Run DFA; DiskWarrior; again Repair Permissions and then run the Combo 10.3.4 Updater.
KH
Kath_Howard
May 28, 2004
Photoshop 7 fine in 10.3.4 here – I know that may be irritating and I’m not gloating, just adding information. It’s obviously not a universal problem.
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 28, 2004
Turns out no combo of utilities or re-running installer worked. The first install stepped on a file that PS needed. Only cure was to re-install PS. All ok now. It’s not surprising that many didn’t have the same experience. Installers have been known to do different things to different setups.
KR
kirk_ruebenson
May 28, 2004
Same problem. I tried re-installing CS, didn’t work.
Tried dumping prefs in CS.
I booted up from OS 9.2 and the Photoshop 7 I have there works just fine.

I’m happy for Roland Dumas.

Help?

kirk
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Did you (a) trash the prefs before attempting to reinstall? (b) Did you remember to Repair Permissions before and after installing any new software (including the OS and Photoshop) at each step of the way?
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 28, 2004
might have just been superstitious, but I ran every utility I had before reinstalling PS and I installed it on a different volume. I was afraid that installing directly over an old install might not get it fresh.

I also reinstalled the 10.3.4, killed all caches, and jumped up and down on one foot while patting the top of my head.

coulda been just resinstalling PS on a different volume, but you never know. It might have been the head pats.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Left foot or right?
RD
Roland_Dumas
May 28, 2004
Right, in birkenstock
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
in birkenstock

no wonder it broke.

updating should be done in wingtips
TT
Toby_Thain
May 29, 2004
I tried to file a report with Apple, but they want me to pay $45 to file a bug report.

Try bugreport.apple.com <http://bugreport.apple.com/> (ADC membership < https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/ 107/wo/a7Mc0L9xkYoo2bvo7X6f8Gk79en/0.0> is free AFAIK.)
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
I tried reinstalling but Photoshop (on another volume) still hangs upon startup. I removed the preferences, ran permissions. No go.

I recall that this has happened before with an OS X update. There was a file that the updater corrupted, and removing this file fixed the issue.

I can’t remember what file!

Help is appreciated.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
there are several places to look, but in the prefs, look for .plist with files related to photoshop. I went through looking for prefs files and nuked a few of them.
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks Roland.

I’m using Photoshop CS.

Trashing the .plist files and reinstalling worked. Any preferences I had will have to be reset as copying them back causes Photoshop to not load again.

I don’t don’ t know if the OS X 10.3.4 updater effected the other apps in the suite – InDesign seems to launch okay.

3 hours wasted –
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
3 hours was about my total effort also. As I posted before, I was also jumping up and down on one foot and patting my head for good luck. I think that a prior suggestion that one wear wingtips while updating has merit. I’m sure it would speed things up.
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
Your sense of humor is welcome.

As I recall, I had vowed to take the wait and see approach with new updates. I forgot and paid the price.

I lieu of jumping up and down, I patted my dog.

Back to work.
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
Well. I needed to pat my head, too.

I quite Photoshop, then restarted. It hangs again.

Something is wrong – ???
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
Okay.

I shut down the computer. Waited a minute, then restarted. Photoshop woke up – it seems for good, now.

Other issues from this updater: my Stuffit files became Word files, my Photoshop files became Preview files – like that.

Bad apple.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
this sounds like a call for a run of a few good utilities to clean that stuff up.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
did you:
run utilities
kill .plist in prefs
reinstall photoshop
jump up and down on RIGHT foot?
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 3, 2004
Eden,

I have no way to prove this (long distance), but your pattern and seriousness of problems leads me to think you have a hardware problem or a font problem.

Delete every vestige of photoshop and its support and prefs files. Delete the plist files again.

Do a search for "adobefnt." Delete all of them. But don’t delete "AdobeFnt.db" Take all fonts off your machine other than Adobe Type I. Get FontAgent Pro. Use it to check (and manage) the fonts you keep. Discard any fonts it finds damaged.

Get Cocktail. Run ALL the utilities it has, including re-prebind and repair permissions.

Restart. Reinstall Photoshop. Run Cocktail again.

If the problem still happens, I’m afraid it IS a hardware issue such as a memory stick that just can’t handle Photoshop (although every other program on your machine may run ok). Or a marginal connector or drive issue. Unfortunately, Photoshop has (in addition to its known attributes) become the supreme non-destructive hardware test for Macs.

VL
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 3, 2004
<< Take all fonts off your machine other than Adobe Type I. >>

Caveat:
Be careful if deleting .dfonts because both the System and Photoshop needs some of them. (Geneva is essential for Photoshop’s Info palette.)

And Adobe’s new OTFs, as well as Type 1s, are fine in OSX too.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
I wouldn’t jump to hardware. I started this thread when 10.3.4 hosed Photoshop and had to discover by trial and error (and supertitious rituals) the things that lead to a happy ended. Hardware was not the problem. 10.3.4 and/or the last security update seem to step on files sometimes and corrupt them. Cleaning out prefs, running utilities, nuking caches, etc., and then reinstalling worked for me.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 3, 2004
Ann,

Right. Don’t delete the country/city name fonts supplied by Apple.

Roland,

I hope he doesn’t have a hardware problem, but the pattern of running ok after file deletion, only to have the problem return is the worrisome part.

But you may be right. PS 7 is not the memory mangler that CS is.

VL
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
Hardware was not the problem. 10.3.4 and/or the last security update seem to step on files sometimes and corrupt them.

Just because hardwear was not your problem does not mean its not Eden’s.

that said, Eden does photoshop work from a new user??

If it does you have a screwed up system prefs for your main user.

10.3.4 does not mess anything up, unless you have a messed up system to start with.

Eden did you repair permissions before installing the 10.3.4 update??
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
not excluding HW as his problem – just saying that if things worked before updating OS and didn’t work after, you do have a likely suspect in custody.
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
just saying that if things worked before updating OS and didn’t work after,

your system is messed up. The update only made things work better for me
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
Buko,
The point of the thread is that the update steps on one or more files that Photoshop needs in SOME cases. Declaring that ‘your system is messed up’ isn’t helpful. Helping determine what steps might be taken to return PS to functioning IS helpful.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 3, 2004
Roland,

I disagree. Other than a hardware problem, Eden’s system IS messed up, and may need a complete reinstall to clear out the corrupt file(s). But we also haven’t heard whether logging in as a new user has any bearing on the problem.

VL
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
In the few cases (now, more than just my own), the files that the OS updater stepped on affected all users, so that’s not a worthwhile test. The files were fixed by some vigorous housecleaning, removal of prefs, and reinstall of PS.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 3, 2004
But for the majority of users, (my unofficial, unscientific, pseudo-random poll of various sites reporting experiences with the update) the update has IMPROVED performance. This leads me to believe that on systems experiencing problems, corrupt files already existed that caused the updater to stumble.

We can get into all kinds of valid discussions about the updater’s needing to be dependable and robust enough to test the target system for integrity before trying to install. But absent that capability, we DO have utilities like Cocktail which gets our house in order before something as significant as an OS tweak.

I believe that people having problems at this time had system problems which simply had not surfaced (yet) or hardware problems waiting to rear their ugly selves.

If we have learned nothing else during the evolution of OS X and Photoshop, and especially their existence together, EVERYTHING about hardware and software has to be squeaky clean. Sometimes in ways even the engineeers had not anticipated.

VL
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
housecleaning prior to system update is good counsel. Cocktail and other utilities in that class are good ideas.
system update does make many things a bit smoother and faster, even with the one conflict with some Photoshop files

If you don’t do your housecleaning before an update and have a problem, one path of solution is to run the housecleaning utilities after, and reinstall the update and then reinstall the apps whose files may have been stepped on.

Yes, engineers can’t anticipate all combinations and permutations and sequences of prior installations and updates and their consequences, so there are often minorities of people who don’t have broken systems, but do have bad experiences with after.
P
PShock
Jun 3, 2004
Buko’s point is that you have to have a healthy system to begin with. Just because you don’t appear to have problems before an update – and they surface afterwards – doesn’t prove the update is the problem.

If you have an undetected heart problem that causes a heart attack during sex, is it fair to say that sex cause heart attacks?

Nothing "stepped on" here. And I’ve never removed a single dfont. 😉

-phil
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
what’s the message you get when you launch photshop?
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
I get no message it just loads normally.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
so when does it fail?
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
nothing fails. It all works as it should.
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
I fact I have both 7 & 8 running at the same time.
RD
Roland_Dumas
Jun 3, 2004
I’m confused. I thought this thread was about the subset of people for whom the OS update messed with Photoshop. Trying to help them figure out how to make PS whole again.

I started the thread, found a solution, published it here. Stuck around to see if I might help other people who had the same problem to see if the same solution might work for them, too.

I guess like any thread, it’s run its course.
P
PShock
Jun 3, 2004
I get a Photoshop splash, it opens and then waits patiently for me to do sumptin’. Of course, I only launch Photoshop about once a week or so, since I just leave it running.

I realize those frustrated with problems don’t always appreciate the "works great here", posts. But it’s not necessarily gloating and they CAN serve a purpose. It lets others know that the problems they’re having just might be specific to their machine. Personally, if I was having problems I’d WANT to hear from those who have smooth running machines. "I’m having the same problem too" may make you feel better, but how does it help fix the problem?

-phil
B
Buko
Jun 3, 2004
I’m confused. I thought this thread was about the subset of people for whom the OS update messed with Photoshop.

I does not mess up Photoshop. there were problems before the update was run.

We are still trying to help Eden but she has not gotten back yet.

I started the thread, found a solution, published it here. I guess like any thread, it’s run its course.

huh???
R
Ram
Jun 3, 2004
Roland,

if things worked before updating OS and didn’t work after, you do have a likely suspect in custody.

Right, and the very likely suspect is the user who has failed (now and/or in the past) to Repair Permissions before and after installing the OS or any other application that uses the installer.

Ramón G Castañeda "Repair Permissions BEFORE AND AFTER installing software (for the FAQs?)" 6/1/04 5:44pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
EM
Eden_Maxwell
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you, Veronica for the detailed steps.

Photoshop seems to be working. A corrupt font can be the culprit.

I didn’t run the repair permission before and after. Yikes.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 3, 2004
"didn’t run the repair permission before and after. Yikes."

Ya gots to do that!

VL

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections