JR
Posted By
Jeff_R._S
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, well, i use PS6 and i just Updated my OS to Mac OSX 10.2.3, and when i try and run PS, it opens in a classic environment, and says that files are missing from the "Required" folder of PS, and then closes out. I didnt have any sort of problems with PS before i updated to OSX from OS 9.1. I believe PS came installed on my computer when i got it, so i dont have the installer lying around for a quick fix of reinstalling it. Does anyone have any idea what might be missing/wrong or any ieads on how to fix this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 5, 2004
<< I believe PS came installed on my computer when i got it, so i dont have the installer lying around for a quick fix of reinstalling it. >>

If that is the case, you are almost certainly not the legal licensee of that copy of Photoshop and, as the only fix to your problem probably lies in re-installing the software, you are probably out of luck.
B
Buko
Jun 5, 2004
Ok, well, i use PS6 and i just Updated my OS to Mac OSX 10.2.3, and when i try and run PS, it opens in a classic environment, and says that files are missing from the "Required" folder of PS, and then closes out.

This is because Photoshop 6 is not native to OSX.

I didnt have any sort of problems with PS before i updated to OSX from OS 9.1.

you should be running OS9.2.2 with OSX

I believe PS came installed on my computer when i got it, so i dont have the installer lying around for a quick fix of reinstalling it.

Photoshop does not come preinstalled on computers so you are running a pirate copy. This means you won’t get much help around here until you go out and purchase Photoshop. The current version is Photoshop CS and will nativly run in OSX. You will need to update the system to 10.2.8 before using Photoshop CS

Does anyone have any idea what might be missing/wrong or any ieads on how to fix this?

Yes buy a legal copy of Photoshop
JC
Jon_Camrud
Jun 5, 2004
I had a lot of problems [that no one seemed to be able to solve] after going to OSX (in numerous apps), when I upgraded to a newer processor most of the issues went away. I was running a 450Mhz G4. You didn’t mention what machine you were running on, but I suspect that OSX doesn’t run well on the slower processors.
JR
Jeff_R._S
Jun 5, 2004
Jon: I use a 533 mhz G4, everything seems to run fine.
Buko: It is a legaly purchased version.
B
Buko
Jun 5, 2004
It is a legaly purchased version.

then where are your disks?

You said it was installed on the computer. If you did not buy it. and it is not registered to you, then it is a pirate copy.
JR
Jeff_R._S
Jun 5, 2004

1.Yeah, actually, I didnt buy it and its not registered to me. my stepfather bought it and its registered to him. Family computer. Whoops.
2.We installed PS at least two years ago, i wasnt involved in it, how should i know where the disks are?
3.Frankly, i didnt post this here to argue with you, post something useful or post nothing at all.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 5, 2004
reinstall from the disks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 5, 2004
……which is the only "useful" advice that anyone can give you.
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Jeff,

Read the license agreement. I believe you’ll find the license is for a single user, two computers (owned and used by a single user).

In any event, as has been pointed out to you, the only solution is upgrading your OS to 9.2.2 and reinstalling the application.

If you buy an older version from a third party, make sure it’s a legitimate copy.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 5, 2004
Ramon,

Jeff’s use of a legally installed program on another’s computer is NOT a violation of the license. If it were, those of us who work together would be prohibited from even touching the keyboard of another. This legal question was answered long ago.

If Jeff’s relative has given Jeff the use of the computer after buying and installing software, the relative is deriving fair use of the programs under those conditions.

This is not an academic or isolated problem. And often, the responses from software companies is arrogant and demaning. The problem Jeff asks is quite common and frustrating. I deal with many people who are given a computer to use on which software has been installed by another for the express use of the other party. The "owner" would be very glad to provide the disks, if and when needed, but the actual user is frequently in a situation where the "original owner" is not available, the disks have been misplaced, lost, forgotten, etc, all through no fault of hers.

What to do?

The advice, "reinstall from the original disks" is obviously "correct" legally and politically. And I offer no other solution. But it only raises the level of frustration.

VL
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 5, 2004
Than pick yourself off the floor, got to the store, and buy the update to PS8, and whipe your problem out.
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Venicia,

From the original thread,

I believe PS came installed on my computer when i got it,

it was my understanding that it was Jeff’s computer. That would be a different scenario from the one you paint.

In his last post he amends that to read "family computer".
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 5, 2004
Ok,

He’s a pirate. He’s stealing software. He’s just a no-goodnik and a general sociopath. He probably says, "cool" and "awesome" as his most articulate expressions, and that at some sophmoric, anime graphic intended for the web only. Tar and feather him!

The general problem still is real and happens all the time.

VL
M
MarkATS
Jun 6, 2004
The general problem still is real and happens all the time.

And most people would reinstall the app post haste. It’s ten times faster than trying to decipher a myriad of error messages.
B
Buko
Jun 6, 2004
Many people come in here with problems. Some admit to owning pirate software in one form or another. Why should these people benefit from my knowledge, and the many others who help here when we gained it using software we paid for using our hard earned money.

I don’t mind helping Jeff I just need to know that he’s legal. You must admit that the original way he explained his problem it sounded like he bought a computer with photoshop on it. this would constitute a pirate copy. unless a transfer of ownership was included with the sale.

Now we find out that its really the family computer. I’ve got no problem with that. Now its time to ask dad where the disks are and reinstall, or go and buy the newest version upgrade ($169). hopefully dad registered the copy of photoshop.
C
CygnusX1
Jun 7, 2004
Jeff,
It’s simple, just update to OSX 10.2.8 and buy Photoshop CS ( You may need the original CD Disc if you just get the upgrade, I’m stiil using 7 so not sure what changes have been made when installing from upgrade discs i.e requiring original CD’s).

Load up the G4 with maximum ram too.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 7, 2004
Buko,

Sorry if my attempt at humor didn’t work. I don’t know that he’s a pirate. Neither do you.

If he IS a pirate he knows what he needs to do. And one way or another, he will.

VL
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
But he will need to know the real serial number of his legal copy of Photoshop before he can install his newly purchased CS Upgrade.
[And it is NOT the one shown in Photoshop’s start-up flash screen!]
L
Larryr544
Jun 8, 2004
If it’s a legal registered copy with Adobe then you can call customer support and get replacement disks I believe.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections