K
Posted By
KatWoman
Apr 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PC users has this happened to any of you??

I normally leave my comp on all the time.
Came into room and noticed that comp had shut down and restarted showing me the blue log-on page. Click my name>Comp restarts>start PS> Tried to open an image I had opened less than 10 minutes previous. Activation screen!! error message >>trial is up blah blah (this is on version CS 8.0, WIN XP PRO SP2)

call for new activation number
Tried to enter the number to re-activate >>failed? WTH

went to add remove programs> uninstalled CS (advanced> remove all) restart comp
attempt to re-install>error says>>cannot install because Image ready is part of CS and must be removed before re-install. So I think "OK I got to uninstall IM separately."
go to uninstall it and weirdly the CS suite I thought I removed is still there?? (PS, Illy, Acrobat)

so I click on PS shortcut, it was not uninstalled!!
BUT activation screen comes up with a different number!!!! call for new number
WORKED!! ??

now this morning got some new security updates> log on screen was on> entered and no problems.
very strange.

The activation features of PS are so weird>>it seems to fail for no discernable reason or if you use system restore and now if you use Windows update. It seems to make more problems for the legit users and I find it fails at the most inopportune times, like when I am in a hurry!!! And it has not stopped anyone from hacking it.
I hope they change this method of activation in future.
I guess CS3 perpetuates the same idiocy??

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
Dave
Apr 12, 2007
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:02:08 -0400, "KatWoman"
WORKED!! ??

now this morning got some new security updates> log on screen was on> entered and no problems.
very strange.

I’m glad all is well. Listen KatWoman, *if all is well on your PC now* get hold of Norton Ghost (or any other image creating program – Ghost being my favourite) and make an image of your hard drive (or at least your C Drive/main drive) without any delay.

People here who knows it as well as I do, will agree when I say it is one of the most important programs on my computers. When experiencing strange effects I simply install an Image and so turn to (an old but) new page. Every now and then when NOD 32 or whatever germ killer you are using are updated, the Image get renewed.

Dave
K
KatWoman
Apr 13, 2007
"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:02:08 -0400, "KatWoman"
WORKED!! ??

very strange.

I’m glad all is well. Listen KatWoman, *if all is well on your PC now* get hold of Norton Ghost (or any other image creating program – Ghost being my favourite) and make an image of your hard drive (or at least your C Drive/main drive) without any delay.

People here who knows it as well as I do, will agree when I say it is one of the most important programs on my computers. When experiencing strange effects I simply install an Image and so turn to (an old but) new page. Every now and then when NOD 32 or whatever germ killer you are using are updated, the Image get renewed.

Dave

yeah maybe it was NOD- I use that one
I have a copy of my system on my removable drive. I am using Acronis software.
did not think of using it to restore PS
R
ronviers
Apr 13, 2007
On Apr 12, 1:02 pm, "KatWoman"
wrote:

update. It seems to make more problems for the legit users and I find it fails at the most inopportune times, like when I am in a hurry!!! And it has not stopped anyone from hacking it.

Status as an end-user sucks; no agency, no leverage, no getting wined and dined, no volume discount negotiations, no tier one support group numbers…it’s tough being a little fish.

Hang in there baby
MR
Mike Russell
Apr 14, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote in message
….
The activation features of PS are so weird>>it seems to fail for no discernable reason or if you use system restore and now if you use Windows update. It seems to make more problems for the legit users and I find it fails at the most inopportune times, like when I am in a hurry!!! And it has not stopped anyone from hacking it.

Sorry to hear you had to go through this, KW. I keep a copy of trusty old PS6 on my system, in case of problems when I’m not able to reactivate for any reason.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
K
KatWoman
Apr 14, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
"KatWoman" wrote in message

Sorry to hear you had to go through this, KW. I keep a copy of trusty old PS6 on my system, in case of problems when I’m not able to reactivate for any reason.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

must have been the anti virus made changes to the registry is all I can figure.
Because now it lost the thumbnails for all the psd images like a new CS install would.

My psicon and aiicon files were still showing in the proper shell folder. But the registry must have been modified as it won’t recognize them. I re-installed psicon.dll tweak I had, it makes the proper change to the registry.

now everything is BACK!!!

FYI if you are using Windows and want to use Explorer you can use this workaround to see thumbnails (or keep an old PS install on your drive) http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2005/12/13/adobe-cs2-and-the- case-of-the-disappearing-thumbnails/
1.. Download this file to a temporary folder.
2.. Shut down all Adobe programs.
3.. Set a

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections