How do I alot more memory to PS 7 running on 0S X.3?

RP
Posted By
Rob_Pike
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS 7 is running very grumpily on my new X.3 operating system. I am using an iBook maxed out with 640megs of RAM. Apple tells me PS 7 is the last application I can alot more memory to on OSX. I did a get info. and saw boxes showing the alloted memory as: Min 30727 KB, Preferred 37888. The Suggested size is 37888.

I tried to simply change the numbers to alot more memory, but it would not let me do so. The boxes in question did not look grayed out, they looked as though I should be able to alot more memory.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
May 12, 2004
Allocate memory in preferences. I wouln’t allocate more than 60% -75%. not having a separate scratch disk will slow you down too.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 12, 2004
You are applying OS9 techniques to OSX. The "Get Info" regarding memory on the desktop after selecting the PS app is the wrong place to go. I suspect that only applies to OS 9 PS use.

Using OSX, from within PS go to Preferences/Memory and select 65% or perhaps 70%, no more than that. With only 640 MB of RAM you may find an even lower setting (55%, 60%) is needed to optimize PS throughput in your workflow. Note it is NOT a simple calculation, but rather trial and error.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections