Posted By
Gethin_Coles
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I about to get a new system (pc) I would like to be able to run ps and illustrator at the same time. I also fewquently have BIG layered files – A2 size 48 bit for example can get up to 1.5gb (but typically 200-500MB). Anyone got an opinion on whether 1 GB ram is enough, or do I need to go the whole hog and get 2?

Getho

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobLevine
Jul 15, 2004
With files that size, I’d max out the machine.

Bob
J
Jim
Jul 15, 2004
PS will work lots better with 2 GB. Don’t allocate all of the physical RAM to PS though.
Jim
wrote in message
Hi,
I about to get a new system (pc) I would like to be able to run ps and illustrator at the same time. I also fewquently have BIG layered files –
A2
size 48 bit for example can get up to 1.5gb (but typically 200-500MB). Anyone got an opinion on whether 1 GB ram is enough, or do I need to go
the
whole hog and get 2?

Getho

D
Dee
Jul 15, 2004
Just curious … how DO you allow PS Photoshop physical RAM?

Dee

"Jim" wrote in message
PS will work lots better with 2 GB. Don’t allocate all of the physical
RAM
to PS though.
Jim
wrote in message
Hi,
I about to get a new system (pc) I would like to be able to run ps and illustrator at the same time. I also fewquently have BIG layered
files –
A2
size 48 bit for example can get up to 1.5gb (but typically 200-500MB). Anyone got an opinion on whether 1 GB ram is enough, or do I need to go
the
whole hog and get 2?

Getho

JF
Jerry_Farnsworth
Jul 15, 2004

1.5GB file size x 5 ram required = more than any current computer can use
(and much more than Photoshop can use). 3GB minimum (2gb = max of Photoshop, 1GB extra for other software, including Windows.)
J
Jim
Jul 15, 2004
"Dee" wrote in message
Just curious … how DO you allow PS Photoshop physical RAM?
Dee
This value is listed in the "Memory and Physical Cache" tab under the "Preferences" tab. Remember, no process can allocate more than 4GB in a 32bit system. Windows slices out 2GB for itself (the system must be mapped into the process space). That leaves 2GB of virtual address space. What the tab does is determine how much of the 2GB must be permanently mapped to physical memory.

You should leave a certain amount of the physical memory for Windows, else it will start paging. Paging of the operating system results in serious performance loss.

Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections