DS
Posted By
Dan_Skott
Dec 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running Photoshop CS4 on Vista with 4G RAM. Even when working on a relatively small picture (34M/69M), I get an error when trying to use Quick Select. The message says "could not complete your request because there is not enough memory". I am not running any other applications and I am allowing Photoshop to use 80% of my RAM. I have a 700G scratch disk. What gives?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RS
Roger_Sinsheimer
Jan 16, 2009
FWIW, I can second your sense of being mystified by this behavior, which (at least for me) is new to CS4. I’ve got 4 GB of RAM (running on Vista), I’ve assigned a separate internal disk (with 200 GB of empty space) as a scratch disk, yet when I try to use the Quick Selection tool on not terribly large files (I’m looking at the bottom of my screen where it says Doc: 95.1M/261.9M) I consistently get the "could not complete your request because there is not enough memory" error when I use the Quick Select tool.

I’ve got CS4 set at the default 70% memory allocation, so that really should not be the problem? Adobe, are you out there listenting???
DS
Dan_Skott
Jan 16, 2009
Roger,

I received this message from Adobe Tech Support. It actually worked for me. Give it a try…

===
Many factors can cause conflict between applications. For example, corrupt user preferences can cause conflicts. Try resetting them. You can do this by following solution three of the below document. If the above solution does not resolve the issue, try following solutions four, five, eight and 10 of the same document. Copy and paste the web address below into your browser.

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404897>
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 16, 2009
That Adobe TechNote should be referenced in the FAQs!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections