RP
Posted By
Randy_P._Allen
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to scan some wedding negatives and burn them on to a disk for a friend. How do I determine what size and clarity they’ll be when he opens them on his computer/monitor?
Thank you!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PL
Paul_L_UK
Oct 28, 2003
Randy

What I would do is have two folders, one for ‘negatives’ and one for ‘display’. Copy the untouched images into the negatives folder, and for the display folder, resize them to 800 by 600-ish (keeping the aspect ratio) at 72dpi. No matter what resolution his monitor is at, he should be able to see the full image, and he has the full size image for printing.

Paul
RP
Randy_P._Allen
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks for the info Paul. Do you know if there’s an "easy" formula to figure out image size vs. dpi/ppi? For instance a 600x800dpi file = a ____x____ inch image size on screen ?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 28, 2003
Randy, there’s no such number. The actual size will depend entirely on the monitor of the the person viewing the file. For example, you might have a 12" laptop and a 17" CRT monitor that both have a resolution of 1024 x 768.

The photo will take up the same percentage of the screen in both cases, but will be much bigger on the 17" monitor because each pixel on that screen is larger.

Does that make sense?
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 28, 2003
Often when I have pictures that I just want people to be able to see, and not necessarily print, I will post them to an online service such as MSN Photo or Ophoto, there are a number of these types of services that are available. One of the advantages of these services is that if anyone happens to want a print of one of the pictures, they are able to order the prints online.

Another idea you might consider is creating a PDF file of all the pictures. When your recipient opens the file, the pictures will be maximized according to whatever resolution his monitored is set at. Just a couple of thoughts, nothing profound.
RP
Randy_P._Allen
Oct 28, 2003
Thank you all . Keep the ideas coming. I’m still a film dinosaur and doing the digital conversion seems overwhelming. I’m sure I’ll get it, but like Veruka, "I want it NOWWWW" Sincere thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections