PC
Posted By
Phyllis_Caputo
Dec 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I like the feature where I can import images from the scanner. It gives me the ability to preview and select exactly what I want. Plus, the images are automatically in the .psd format.

50% of the time when I do this, after the physical scan, the scanned image appears, but PE never is given back control. I can’t save it, or do anything with it because it’s like PE is locked up. If I do a control-alt-delete, I can see that scan gear is still running. If I kill the scan process, PE shuts down also.

I have a Canon LIDE30 with the latest driver updates, and PE 2. I am running on XP Home with the latest updates from MS. I have 512MB of memory on a P4 running at 2.8 GHz. Has anyone seen this problem?
Thanks- Phyllis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 7, 2003
Phyllis,

What are the typical file sizes of the images when PSE appears to lock up? What resolution are you scanning at for what physical size photos?

Are you closing other programs you have open when you scan?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 7, 2003
Yes, I have the lide30 as well but using PE1 and have never encountered this problem.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 7, 2003
Phyllis,

There are some people with certain brands of scanners that just can’t get the Import>Twain (or whatever is your listing for the scanner) to function properly. They just scan in their scanning software, save to HD and open in PSE. But, what are your choices under Import?
PC
Phyllis_Caputo
Dec 7, 2003
Thanks for all the responses- after using them for investigation, I think I found my problem. After the scan, if I don’t explicitly close the scanner, and I click on the Elements window, the scanner window is hidden. I don’t have the application panel on the bottow of my screen showing, so I didn’t realize it was still up. I think my problem was I wasn’t closing the scan window.
Kind of stupid, I know. Thanks for the help- Phyllis
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 7, 2003
hmmm,

if that is the solution, great! When I use the Import to go to my scanner… after the scan, the image is transfered to PSE as the scanning software closes itself. Perhaps yours does not work the same way.
PC
Phyllis_Caputo
Dec 8, 2003
I agree with you- it should work the way you say. That’s why I got confused. I will keep my fingers crossed! Phyllis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections