J
Posted By
JIMFLOCKS
May 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m scanning paper rolls of images (32 inches wide by 50+ feet long) to 200 dpi tiff files. These images can be well over 50,000 pixels long (the largest scan so far is 204,000 pixels long). Photoshop and Illustrator can read a maximum of 30,000 pixels in one direction. Does anyone know of a utility out there that can open large B&W tiff images (using LZW compression would be nice) and allow me to crop/cut/trim/save selection/split -whatever it takes- so that I can get these files into Photoshop? Mac OSX preferred, but I’ll work with Windows or UNIX if I have to.

Graphic Converter will let you look at a 60K pixel image, but will only allow you to edit the first 30K. And it’s ‘split file’ option in "Save As" doesn’t work.

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
In Photoshop CS the maximum dimension is 300,000 pixels.

If you have a real need for going over 300,000 pixels – I need to know about it (because it’s already a pain to test at 300,000 😉
R
Ram
May 6, 2004
Upgrade.
J
JIMFLOCKS
May 6, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply, CS here I come…

Jim
HC
Henri_Clement
May 9, 2004
But mind in Photoshop CS, you will have the possibility to work on a 300 000 pixel-sided picture allright … but you will still be limited to 30 000 pixels if ever you need to print this – at least if you try printing directly from Photoshop. What a pity ..
JS
John_Slate
May 9, 2004
….not to mention that he did not say how these big files were generated and what their current format is…

Sure, CS can create, save and open over 30,000 pixels in its own PSB format, but as far as importing/opening such a big file from some foreign format… that would be a cause for worry, or at least a question.

Good point about the PSB files… it’s cool that you can make them, just not so cool that there is not a whole lot you can DO with them, except revel in their existence.
T
Todie
May 9, 2004
PSB can be used to organize future tiles (cropped) for printing or assembling in layout programs. Anyone using PosterWorks?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2004
Henri – I wish there was a solution, but the OS printing APIs are limited to 30,000 pixels. We don’t have a choice.

John – Photoshop will happily read TIFF images that large.
HC
Henri_Clement
May 11, 2004
Chris – Thank you for your answer. For those interested, there is a way out : I regularly print pictures that over 30 000 pixels sided – by using a third party RIP. Rather a hastle, more complicated than simply command-P from Photoshop, but it works perfectly, and so you can get really high-res BIG prints.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections