AK
Posted By
ashley_karyl
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
With Photoshop 7, I am able to import the scanner with no problems while working in 48Bit mode. The first time I do this a message comes up warning me that some applications have a problem with 48Bit images, however, I can choose not to see this message again. In Photoshop CS,however, that same message comes up each and every time no matter how often I try to stop it and with the scanning of multiple images this becomes a real pain and sometimes results in images not being scanned at all.

Does anybody know if this is an Epson or a Photoshop bug and can anything be done to fix it? Its the same 1.28A Epson driver in both cases. Epson tech support just shrugged their shoulders when I asked them.

Thanks
Ashley

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
I’m pretty sure that message comes from the Epson software.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 14, 2004
It’s annoying perhaps hey will fix it in the next version of Epson Scan Drivers.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 14, 2004
I know from other users that the same problem occurs with the 4870, but again only with Photoshop CS. With Photoshop 7 its smooth sailing using the latest drivers, so wouldn’t that indicate that the problem may lie with CS? I think the driver may have been out for longer than CS.

The real problem comes with batch scanning because we are forced to deal with the same error message on each image. For some strange reason, this often leads to one of the images coming out totally black making it necessary to go back and scan that one image separately. I can get around all of this by scanning in Photoshop 7 before saving and opening in CS, but obviously it would be great if a solution could be found for this.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 14, 2004
Ashley that does not indicate that the problem lies with PS CS as the drivers have to be made compatible with the application that use them. Therefore it is probably something that Epson has to update to accommodate the difference between earlier versions of PS and the CS version.

Photoshop CS cannot be designed to work with ever scanner driver the drivers have to be designed to work with PS CS.

Now if this happened with all scanner derivers maybe the problem was PS CS maybe and that would be a long shot as well.

BTW what have you heard of the 4870?
AK
ashley_karyl
May 14, 2004
The 3200 works perfectly in every other respect with CS. Its just this stupid error message that won’t go away and since the driver is the same as was being used under Photoshop 7, it strikes me that something must have changed in CS to be causing this problem. No doubt Epson needs to update the driver, but I’ve seen from past experience that Epson are very slow at addressing driver issues with OS X and since the 3200 is no longer made I wondered if an update will ever be released even though this scanner was being sold until about two months ago.

Regarding the 4870, everything I have heard so far is very positive. It may not be in the same class as a top end drum scanner, but its great value for money and more than adequate for many commercial applications. I have seen many of the images I scanned using the 3200 in magazines and they look at least as good in print as the images which were scanned for me by pro labs using an Imacon or drum scanner. I am not claiming that the 3200 is better, but I am careful over the way I work and in print a lot of the small differences disappear. I actually find the 3200 good for beauty work because it has very little noise, so skin looks smooth and the limited D-Max is rarely a problem because the lighting is often quite soft.
MK
michael_kulpa
May 14, 2004
I just bought the 4870 pro. Great scans. Digital Ice is slow but does a nice job. Can’t get Image Capture to see the scannert but it works with PS cs and Acrobat pro. I’m getting the 48 bit message as well and it’s a PITA.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
Ashley – nothing changed in CS that could explain the error message, only Epson’s software could explain it.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
I’ll try calling Epson on Monday to see if anything will be done about this. Since it is clearly happening with the 4970 too, I hope they’ll update the driver which is an alpha anyway.

On a totally different subject, but since you seem to be following this thread Chris, I have two Apple keyboards for my G4. The English one works perfectly with Photoshop, but the Italian Pro keyboard fails to work with some key combinations that should function in Photoshop such as using the [ ] keys to make brushes bigger or smaller and a few other short cuts too. I don’t know why this is the case, but it does make working in Photoshop with that keyboard a little slower and less flexible. Its probably not your area, but I thought I should mention in case somebody responsible is listening.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Ashley,

When I switch into any of my Cyrillic keyboard layouts I lose practically all keyboard shortcuts. That’s because the characters are no longer mapped to the physical keys on the keyboard and it’s absolutely normal. If that’s what’s happening in your case, it explains why you only notice it with certain key combinations, presumably mostly those involving keys other than letters from A to Z.

In my case, the Cyrillic keyboards remap just about every single key, including all the letters, so I just have to kiss keyboard shortcuts in all applications good-bye when working in Russian.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
No its different Ramon, I have two physical keyboards. One is English QWERTY and the other is called an Italian Pro which is also QWERTY layout, but has all the various accents etc at close hand.

When I use the Italian keyboard and select the appropriate setting in the input menu I lose access to various short cuts which are normally present in Photoshop. In practice it means that anybody using that keyboard as standard which is what you get if you buy a Mac in Italy does not have access to various normal functions in Photoshop, even though they are standard menu items. The only way to change brush size for example is either to use the control key or go through the menu bar, but I find both methods more awkward than using the bracket keys.

I had no idea you spoke Russian, I have learned some basics because my wife is Russian/Ukrainian and originally from Kiev but we have nearly always spoken in Italian.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Ashley,

Somehow I still believe it’s the same principle. If you connected the same Italian keyboard to a Mac using an Italian version of Mac OS X and an Italian version of Photoshop, I’d bet you’d have the functionality back, albeit –perhaps– mapped to different key combinations.

When software is "localized" (industry jargon for translated into a different language) very often the key combinations get changed too, just so they make some kind of sense in the other language as well. (Command S may get changed to Command G [guardar; grabar] in Spanish, etc.). Additionally, the keyboards have different layouts in different countries, which you know very well and that’s why you have your Italian keyboard.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Yes, I do quite a bit of work in Russian. The bulk of my work involves several languages. That’s how I pay for my photography vice. 🙂
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
But surely having an Italian keyboard which is correctly selected via the input menu shouldn’t mean you lose access to various commands. Its up to the system to translate that and understand that if you are pressing the same key combinations you expect the same result. I haven’t come across problems of this nature with MS Office for example which I purchased from the States but used on the same British English version of OS X with the same Italian keyboard.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
My favourite film is Dr Zhivago, but I think seeing a young Julie Christie had something to do with that.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Didn’t see Zhivago. I used to be an avid moviegoer until I went to live in Germany in the very early 1960’s and other parts of Europe later. All of that was long before Dr. Zhivago came out. The dubbing of films turned me off to such a degree that I just quit going to the cinema.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
Its great fun watching The Godfather in Italian and then not understanding more than 1 word in 5 when they start speaking Sicilian dialect.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
You should try watching a Clint Eastwood or Frank Sinatra film dubbed into German. The mouth has closed, the lips are not moving any more and the words just keep coming … and coming …
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
And no doubt with the verb at the end of the sentence after the action has already happened.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Ashley,

I had just been waiting for rush hour traffic to subside before driving home this evening, but isn’t it 2:00 or 3:00 AM in your part of the world?
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
Its 2.23am here and I was still busy retouching until a few minutes ago. No doubt I should get to bed now because tomorrow will be another hard day.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 15, 2004
I’m giving you Ashley Saturday off, you don’t have to thank me now!
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
This is why I need a faster computer Wade. So that I can get to bed earlier!
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
By any chance, is anybody else seeing that with Photoshop CS selecting cmd + alt + D causes the dock to appear and disappear rather than feathering a selection? It seems to be using the system short cut in this case rather than the Photoshop one as shown in the menu whereas it works correctly with PS 7.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
You can nix that behaviour in 10.3.3 by going into System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts
and, at the bottom of the menu, UNchecking "Automatically hide and show the Dock".
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
Thank’s Ann! that worked a perfectly. Its strange though that it was only effecting CS and not version 7. I’m from Cornwall, so there is no chance I would have found that solution!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
Ah — the mighty Tamar is such an unsurpassable barrier?
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
Well they do say that the definition of a Cornishman is a Scotsman with all the generosity screwed out of him. They make you pay one pound now when crossing the bridge to leave Cornwall (no idea why anybody would want to) and that has proven very effective at keeping most of us here.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
But how much do they charge the West-bound cars?

I thought that the idea was to keep "them Furriners from London" out — rather than keeping the Natives in?
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
Its free to enter Cornwall!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
I am glad to hear that something still is in England and I will definitely remember to take advantage of this amazing Freebie next time I am over there.

(Will I also have to pay 17% VAT on the one-pound Exit charge when I leave Cornwall? )
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
No doubt the one pound charge includes VAT at 17.5%.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
And we grumble about a 7% Sales Tax!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 15, 2004
You gotta love the VAT, they are crazy.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
Try dealing with the book-keeping that having a registered VAT account involvesÂ…Â…!

Perhaps that is another reason that some of us fled.
AK
ashley_karyl
May 15, 2004
ThatÂ’s something I have to deal with.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections