S
Posted By
shirley65
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I Import images using the Import command the Scanner-plugIn opens the scanner in a separate window (in my case it is an Epson scanner).
From this location I was able (with the previous version CS) to flick through my photosops images sitting on the background . Now this is not possible. For example you cannot anymore flick through and or move the images you have just scanned. So if I want to check how many pages or what pages I have already scanned I have to exit the Epson/Scanner page. And if I want to resume scanning I have to relaunch the page via the import command!
This slows down the entire production process.
Why this is happening? Why such a handy feature had been removed? Is this a mere oversight?
This new feature (a reverse feature indeed) can potentially cause undesired troubles. When you are in scanner mode if the "setting pane" will end behind the "preview pane" you will be left with no chances but the one of switching off your machine!!! and start it on again! (by then all your unsaved scanning will have been lost)

Shirley

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
May 25, 2005
if I want to check how many pages or what pages I have already scanned I have to exit the Epson/Scanner page.

That’s the way it’s always worked for me with my Epson scanners and photoshop 6 & 7 (haven’t gone to CS yet).
PM
Peter_McNeill
May 25, 2005
Use an epson 4870 at work and with CS we have to shut down the scanner interface to see whats’ been scanned.
S
shirley65
May 26, 2005
That is the always worked with GT 15000 Epson scanner and photoshop 6 & 7 … this is correct. But CS gave you the very handy chance to flick through the imported images. And now CS2 has removed this feature!!!
Shirley
S
SpaceGirl
May 26, 2005
wrote:
When I Import images using the Import command the Scanner-plugIn opens the scanner in a separate window (in my case it is an Epson scanner).
From this location I was able (with the previous version CS) to flick through my photosops images sitting on the background . Now this is not possible. For example you cannot anymore flick through and or move the images you have just scanned. So if I want to check how many pages or what pages I have already scanned I have to exit the Epson/Scanner page. And if I want to resume scanning I have to relaunch the page via the import command!
This slows down the entire production process.
Why this is happening? Why such a handy feature had been removed? Is this a mere oversight?
This new feature (a reverse feature indeed) can potentially cause undesired troubles. When you are in scanner mode if the "setting pane" will end behind the "preview pane" you will be left with no chances but the one of switching off your machine!!! and start it on again! (by then all your unsaved scanning will have been lost)

Shirley

Aren’t the scanner tools written by the scanner manufacturers? I know the one with my scanner is. When I click the Import > Scanner options, I get an Epson diagloue, which does the scanning for me. It then pastes the image into PhotoShop when it’s done. The features you talk about sound like they are part of your scanner software, not PhotoShop, so you need to ask your manufacturer.
S
shirley65
May 27, 2005
This is very serious problem now. As I mentioned before when you are using the scanner (I am using GT 15000 Epson) the "setting pane" ends very easily behind the "preview pane". This let you with no any other chances but the one of switching off your machine!!! and start it on again! (by then all your unsaved work will have been lost).
Shirley
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2005
You’ll have to contact Epson about fixing their scanner software.

Photoshop didn’t change any of this — the changes you’re describing are just bugs in the Epson software showing up differently.
S
shirley65
May 28, 2005
Dear Chris
Thanks for your reply.
As I accept your considerations, I find your suggested resolution a bit bizzare. Do you mean that Epson, whose GT 15000 Epson scanner was working properly with the CS version should release a new more compatible software every time a new Photosop version (in this case CS2) is released?
Will Adobe and Epson meet and discuss together this very very important topic? Many thanks
Shirley
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 28, 2005
Sounds like one example of one scanner software that is acting differently than it did in CS. I have always had to close the scanner window to see the captured image with any Epson scanner with any version of Photoshop.

I doubt that a lot of R&D will go into the issue, but you never know!
PB
Paul_Budzik
May 29, 2005
I’m using an Epson Expression 1680 and the scanning window’s present differntly here as well. I’m not fond of the way things are now ( seems cheesie ), but I can live with it.

Paul
PB
Pradeep_Bansal
Jun 2, 2005
I find it very painful to scan images into photoshop directly via the import command. Instead, what I have been doing (with CS2 also) is to open photoshop separately, including the bridge, and then launch the epson scan utility (I am using the 3170). Now, from within the epson scan software, I scan photos in batches i.e. multiple photos on the platen at the same time – using automated naming schemes etc. I keep the scanned folder open in bridge so I can see the images as they come in. I then open my images (the composite with multiple photos scanned together)into PS, run File>Automate>crop and straighten photos on the composite image and viola, my individual photos are now nicely cropped and straightened out for me to save as I like.

Only problems with the above flow is that often bridge will not show the thumbnail until I open and resave the image, or move it into a different folder and then back into the scan folder. Also, for some reason, if I create a keyboard shortcut for the ‘crop and straighten’ command, it doesn’t work – the filter runs but does not do its job. Cannot understand why.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections