PB
Posted By
Paul_Bullen
Oct 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received a promotion for this scanner. It comes bundled with Photoshop Elements 2.0. Is there anything better at that price, or worth paying a bit more for?

The details can be found here:

<http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specification.asp?ITEM_ID=31642>

Both my Dad and I are interested in getting our first scanners (in separate countries). He has a lot of old photos to scan. I would be interested in using mine for a variety of purposes (copying text for courses, photos, negatives). I assume this will not do slides, and that if a person is serious about scanning negatives and/or slides he should get the more expensive dedicated scanners, but that this sort of thing might do a passable job of the occasional negative.

I also gather that buying a scanner will not allow me to scan text as text. For that I would have to spend a few hundred dollars on Optical Character Recognition software.

Am I right in all these assumptions? Would this scanner be a good choice? (I have an iMac running OS X, and a Canon S750 printer–and a Canon Rebel S SLR camera, by the way.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

–Paul (Bullen)
<http://paul.bullen.com>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy_S
Oct 5, 2003
Paul,

I don’t know about that scanner, but an Epson which I bought a few years ago had OCR capability right out of the box. This feature was made available through the "Epson Smart Panel" application on the CD.

Nancy
PD
Pete_D
Oct 5, 2003
I think most manufacturers are providing some level of OCR. Not sure about current models but my HP 5300 has OCR that is good scans that have NO lines or graphics. Anything on the page will overwhelm the OCR and not be able to read it correctly.

Good thing (in a way) is that upgrade to full version for the OCR is $59. But although I have thought about it many times I have not purchased the upgrade.

Pete

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections