How do I adjust color balance to make one image look like another?

C
Posted By
cjtwantstoknow
Nov 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to copy the lighting and color balance from one image to the next. Both photos were taken within a couple seconds of each other but the lighting (flash) and color balance are different.

Is there a way to compare the color balance of a particular background item on the two images and then apply the difference to make one image look closer to the other?

I’m using Photoshop 7

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Roberto
Nov 26, 2003
If you had Photoshop CS you could use Match Color to do it in a just a couple of seconds. With 7 you have to use the color and exposure tools to do which is going to be time consuming, that is depending how much of a difference there is.

Jerry

"Chris" wrote in message
I am trying to copy the lighting and color balance from one image to the next. Both photos were taken within a couple seconds of each other but the lighting (flash) and color balance are different.
Is there a way to compare the color balance of a particular background item on the two images and then apply the difference to make one image look closer to the other?

I’m using Photoshop 7
JH
John Houghton
Nov 27, 2003
"Chris" wrote in message
Try the free Metrix plugin from http://www.panix.com/~jnr . In my own limited tests, it worked somewhat better than the new Match Color feature in PS CS. It’s inclined to give posterization effects if the difference between the images is big, but it can work well for minor balance problems. 8bit images only, though.

John
C
cjtwantstoknow
Nov 28, 2003
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I tried the Metrix plugin and posterization effects begin to appear. My sense is that there is a lack of correlation between colors within the images. The color balance doesn’t appear to be linear/correlated evenly.

I also tried a method of balancing RGB channels separately – but I also get posterization. Scott Kelby’s – the Photoshop book – has an example on how to do this in the panoramic stitching section. By the way, this is a great book for novices.

I wonder whether the "Match Color" feature in Photoshop CS would yield different, or better, results.

Chris

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections