MB
Posted By
Maurice_Brais
Oct 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop Elements 1.0. My system is Windows XP Pr Ed. I use Netscape 7.1. Help, F1 and tutorials used to work anytime I would click F1, go to Help or open Tutorials. A few weeks ago they all stopped. Absolutely nothing happens when I click, or open Help or F1. I have not made any change to my system that I know, maybe some updates to Windows XP.

Would anyone have any suggestion as to what has happened and how I can correct the problem? Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Hi Maurice,

I’m not usually a Windows user (Mac kind of guy) but it sounds as if the Association of html files to your browser has become disconnected.

Using the Explorer, find an *.html file somewhere on your hard drive, any one should do, but if you want to be sure of PSE’s Help or Tutorial files, select one of them. (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 1.0\Help — I think) Right click on the *.html file and make sure that the Open With… default is your browser of choice.

Hopefully I’ve got it right, maybe one of our other Windows users will step in and correct my mistakes. 😉

HTH
Kyle
MB
Maurice_Brais
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks Kyle. I have checked the file association and it works normally. If I double-click any .htm file under Photoshop Elements/Help, Nestscape opens and displays the file. But if I work within PE and I try to open Help contents, press F1 or any Help button in a dialog box, I get a hourglass for one or two seconds. Then nothing more happens. The problem seems to be inside PE.

Any more bright ideas?
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 25, 2003
Maurice,

Hmm, – – – nope. The only thing I can think of off-hand is to make sure you’ve got Netscape associated with both *.htm and *.html files.

You may have to try the "Reset Preferences" operation with PSE. I believe (but may be out-to-lunch) that the Ctrl-Alt-Shift combination immediately after double clicking the PSE icon will bring up a pop-up window with some options. You want to reset the preference there. From what I’ve heard it may take 2 or 3 tries before it "takes".

HTH
Kyle
TW
Tony_Weisse
Oct 26, 2003
Maurice,

I had a problem a while back with the help feature in MS Money (it’s also html-based help). I was told by a Microsoft technician that this can happen when a cached file becomes corrupt. The browser won’t reload from the source because it sees that there’s no change so it will always try to use the cached version.

I use Internet Explorer as my default browser and Netscape may vary, but here’s what I did. Go into Control Panel -> Internet Options and look for where you can manage temporary Internet files. Go ahead and delete them all and make sure that you select the choice to delete all offline content. I recall it took quite a while for mine to do this so patience is in order if it seems like you’re locked up.

Good luck!
MB
Maurice_Brais
Oct 26, 2003
Thanks Tony

Tried your suggestion, but it didn’t help. Still stuck!

Any other idea?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections