JG
Posted By
Jack Goldstein
Jul 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The Help Contents and the Tutorial Button do not work in Windows XP. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it with windows 98se and it works. So that problem is with windows xp. Does anyone know how to solve it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 12, 2003
it’s possible you are logged into the computer as a ‘user’ without administrator privleges.
JG
Jack Goldstein
Jul 13, 2003
I am logged into the computer with administrator rights with windows xp.I would like to hear from anybody who has windows xp installed and how they fixed the problem.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 13, 2003
Jack,

Are you using AOL ? If so, you need to set your default browser to Internet Explorer.

Have you tried to open the help manually, to see if it’s workiing ? Providing you’re using Photoshop Elements 2.0, the help file main page is here : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Help\help.html

Ray
JG
Jack Goldstein
Jul 13, 2003
I am using Photoelements 1 and yes can open the help.html file manually. I even updated windows xp with service pack 1.
NS
Nancy S
Jul 13, 2003
Jack,

Seems to be one of life’s mysteries why so many people with XP can’t access the help files from within the program, myself included.

Nancy
B
BobHill
Jul 14, 2003
Be sure to have at least MSIE 5 as your default browser and be sure that it’s the program/utility that’s associated with HTML files.

Bob
NS
Nancy S
Jul 14, 2003
Bob H,

thanks for the reply, but I meet all requirements and it is a no-go.

Nancy
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 14, 2003
JACK,
For sure, I am not the one to help.
I do have Windows XP and use Elements 2.
I have no problem getting to the HELP or Tutorials. Wish I could tell how but evidently it is possible if a lowly one like me can get it.
Stick around this bunch a few days. Bet you’ll get your answer. Marty
RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 14, 2003
Nancy,

Couple of questions. Is IE6 your default browser, not AOL or MSN? Do you have Norton products running and did you have Norton products running during install?

Rich
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 15, 2003
Just to add a note. I am using XP and Help and Tutorials both load in my default browser, Netxcape 7.1.

Dick
JG
Jack Goldstein
Jul 15, 2003
Marty, the problem is with Photoelements 1 and windows xp. The program works fine in windows 98se. The only solution is to fine the help.htm and access it from the web browser Internet Explorer or Netscape.
NS
Nancy S
Jul 16, 2003
Rich,

I have a brand new Dell;
WinXP Pro
1 G DDR Ram
120 G HD
2.8 Pentium 4
128 ATI 9800
IE6
nothing Norton
not using any ISP software (I made a DSL connection manually myself)

My old computer ran WIN98 and help files were available from within PSE with many Norton programs installed (disabled when installing PSE)

It is a mystery to me 🙂

Nancy
NS
Nancy S
Jul 16, 2003
Rich,

I use PSE version 1.

Nancy
RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 16, 2003
Hi Nancy,

It is most likely some kind of software conflict, but I haven’t used elements 1 in a while, so I’m a bit rusty on trouble shooting it. Have you tried running in W98 compatibility mode? Have you looked at the faq at the top of this forum or searched the adobe knowledgebase? There were some known issues and fixes with this issue and Elements 1, but I can’t remember them all off hand.

Worscase scenario, you can create a shortcut to the Help index file and place it in you tray.

Rich
NS
Nancy S
Jul 17, 2003
Rich,

Thank you for your contribution on this subject…especially since we ARE referencing Adobe’s "obsolete" version 1 <g>

I think dueling banjos behind the scenes are to blame but elusive. Will create the shortcut you suggest, that will work just fine, good idea, thanks.

Nancy
JG
Jack Goldstein
Jul 18, 2003
Richard and Nancy by creating that shortcut on the desktop "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Help\Help.htm" ,it works great!
The compatibility modes won’t solve the problem. I tried all of them and you could not access the help in Photoelements 1 with windows xp. Sorry I didn’t get back sooner, just got back from vacation in Niagara Falls.
DE
diana eastlake
Jul 22, 2003
I have just installed Photoshop 7 and am running Win.XP ican not access help either as it tells me I have no default browser.I use Aol but am not sure how to set my default browser differently.Help?
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
Diana, this is the Elements forum, not full PS 7.0, but since you’re on XP, I’ll make a stab at it. If this doesn’t work, I suggest a post on the Photoshop forum.

Go to Control Panels>Internet Options>Web. Down at the bottom of the page there should be a box that lets you set a default browser. If I don’t have the terms down exactly, look for something extremely close. I’ve done this on my XP Pro computer, but I’m currently on my Mac so can’t verify what I just said. Sorry. I know I’m not far off, though! Just make sure you aren’t using the AOL browser. A plain vanilla version of IE is probably already loaded on your computer. If not, it’s a free download from Microsoft.
NS
Nancy S
Jul 23, 2003
Jack,

I gave up on finding a solution to access the help files from within the program (using Windows XP Pro). Rarely do I consult the files anyway. Rich C.’s suggested workaround (I put a shortcut in my Quick Launch toolbar) works just fine for me! Since the pages are all linked, one only needs access to a single page. Sounds like you are also satisfied with our modified method. Cheers to Rich!

Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections