TS
Posted By
Todd_Stewart
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a slightly different problem with PE2 Help in WinXP. When I try to access the tutorials and online help, nothing happens. I don’t get any error messages and my system doesn’t hang, but IE6 never opens with the help files. If I set PE2 to run in Win98 compatibility mode, it works OK (but I’d rather not have to run in compatibility mode). Any ideas on when a patch will be available to fix this bug?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 8, 2004
Todd,

This question has been addressed many times on the forum. Do you, by any chance use AOL as your ISP? If so that can affect your ability to see the help files.

If that’s not the case, try using Windows Explorer to get to the help files in Adobe>Photoshop Elements2>help. Double click on any help file in that folder. If IE opens with the help file then it may be a file association problem.

At any rate make sure that your file associations are set to open IE when you click on an .html file.

Dick
TS
Todd_Stewart
Apr 16, 2004
No, I am not using AOL. Additionally, there are no file association problems with my system. This appears to be a PE2 bug plain and simple. All I wanted to know is when Adobe plans to fix it. I also use Photoshop Album 2 and do not have any problems with the html help files in native WinXP mode. I have many programs on my system and the only one I have problems with is PE2.
JL
Jim Lloyd
Apr 16, 2004
Another way to access the tutorials is to go to the Adobe\help\ folder on your hard drive and double click on the file named: 1_20_0_0.html

This will open the tutorials in your default browser.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 16, 2004
The chances of Adobe correcting this in PSE 2 aren’t good, since it’s been out for almost two years; a new version is undoubtedly on the drawing board somewhere. There are a few people who just cannot get this to work properly in XP, so Nancy, one of our other forum regulars, has offered this workaround:

"I am one of the many users running XP who had trouble accessing the help files. So I just set up a workaround which works splendidly. Use Explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Help. Choose any one on the list and create a shortcut to that file down on the Quick Launch area, at the bottom of your screen. When you want to view a help file, just click on that icon. Each page has access to the search and index features, so any page will allow easy access to all info. in the files."

By the way, AOL users aren’t the only ones who have a problem that’s related to the customized browser; users of CompuServe and Yahoo also have the same problem.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections