D
Posted By
D._Salk
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 1 Help & Tutorial do not display after upgrading from Win 98 to Win XP. There is no error msg. when clicking on these items on Menu bar. Per Adobe techdoc 2f07a.htm, PSE 1 uninstalled & reinstalled in Safe mode. Tried Compatibility mode. Reset Preferences file. These steps did not correct problem. System has 384 mb ram. There is about 1 gb of free space where temp files are written.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
After your upgrade, did you go into your Control Panels, internet settings, and choose Internet Explorer 5.0 or above as your default web browser?

Or, do you use an ISP like AOL, CompuServe, or Yahoo as your browser? If you use anything that comes with its own custom browser, you have to set your default to a plain vanilla version of IE, like mentioned above.
D
D._Salk
Jan 10, 2004
Hi, Beth, thanks for the response. After posting my msg. I found a similar problem you, and others, responded to on Nov. 23,’03 that, at least, provided a work around by creating short cuts to the Help & Tutorial files. This worked, but it doesn’t answer the question why the failure to display problem occurs.

I do not use AOL, Compuserve, or Yahoo. I am stumped on the advise to set the default browser to IE 6, which is what I use. I could not find any place in the Internet Options or Network Connections to select any browser as the default. Any other ideas?

Do you have any idea if the display problem occurs with PSE 2?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
Here’s the path I use on Win XP Pro:

Start>Control Panel

Network & Internet Connections – at this point, depending on your monitor res, you may have to scroll down a little to

"Pick a Control Panel Option", choose Internet Options

Select the tab for Programs. There’s a box at the bottom of the window that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser." Make sure there’s a checkmark in that box. Even if there is, you might want to delete the checkmark, click OK, and then work your way back through and reinsert the checkmark. This should serve to reset it.

And, yes, the same problem has been known to occur while using PSE 2.
D
D._Salk
Jan 12, 2004
Again, Thanks, Beth. Based on your last msg. it is apparent there is a slight difference between XP Home and XP Pro Control Panels. I use the Home version. There is no "Network & Internet connection" icon on the Home version. There is a "Network Connection" which, in my case, just lists my dial-up connection. There is another icon titled "Internet Options" which does have a check box under the "Program" tab to have Internet Explorer check to see if it is the default browser. This box was checked.

Thanks for the heads-up on PSE 2. I was considering purchasing it to see if that would correct the problem. It appears that Adobe programers need to do some work to correct this problem.
PB
Pat_Blend
Jan 15, 2004
PSE ver 1:Printing 0n a HP Deskjet 895CSE. Old tea colored photos enhanced by PSE1. Trial photos on inkjet paper color is fine. When changing to premium photo paper they have a very pronounced blue cast. How do I correct for it?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections