SC
Posted By
Seb_Chen
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help. I realize my workflow process may be different that the typical user but I’ve encountered a problem that has slowed my flow terribly.

I just upgraded to CS2 from 7.0 and run Windows XP SP2 Home. The way I work, I have multiple folders open in my taskbar (sometimes up to ten). Each folder is a particular project or subdivision of one. The view is set to thumbnails so that I can see every photo. If I need a more detailed view I double-click which is set to launch it into ‘Windows Picture and Fax Viewer’. This makes it very easy for me to scroll through the folder with larger views too. If I decide I want to edit, I right click on the larger view (or the thumbnail, depending on wether I’m in Windows Viewer or just the Windows Explorer folder) and select ‘Open With’ and choose Photoshop. This then launches the file directly into Photoshop.

I’ve never had any problem doing this with PS 7.0 but now that I’ve installed CS2, I can no longer launch picture files into Photoshop from the Windows Explorer folder OR Windows P&F Viewer! PS CS2 does not show up in the list of programs available (though ImageReady does) and if I choose ‘browse’ and manually ‘choose program’ by finding and selecting ‘Photoshop.exe’ and double click, it still doesn’t show up as program that can open the file. BTW, most files are typically TIFF or JPEG.

Please, if anybody has any idea how to fix this, please let me know! Bridge doesn’t work for me because it doesn’t allow me to have multiple folders open. Also, I like using the Widows P&F Viewer to look at larger views of files. It makes it very easy to scroll through a folder and then launch a photo right into PS when I want to edit. BTW, my Windows Explorer will launch ANY file into any program I choose (as long as it is capable of opening the file type). Right now Photoshop CS2 is the ONLY program that I can’t launch directly into. Thanks so much for your time.

Seb

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WN
Wesley_Norman
May 12, 2005
Seb, I don’t have an answer to your question but I am using CS2 and the Open With>Photoshop is available. There must be a way. I just checked the Windows Help file, typed open file list and came up with a "How to delete a file from the open file list". If you aren’t afraid of making changes to the registry, then check that article out. At least you can add Photoshop.exe to the list there, even though the title is to delete.
I have all of my image files open up with PS so I guess that is why it is listed. You mentioned that you have yours set up to open another viewer. I still think you can correct the problem by making the registry change.
T
troyhark
May 12, 2005
Two ways that may help sort this out off top of head.
On image file Right click, then Open With/Choose Program and then in dialogue box choose PS and tick always open with this programme. Though I have had files that refuse to change association using this method!?! You may have that problem. Cannot remember how I sorted problem [if I ever did].
Alternatively Right Click/Properties and click on change in the ‘opens with dialogue’ and do same as above.
Alternatively reinstall and when you get to file associations dialogue, make sure you click the option you want for all the listed files. Not tried CS2, but if those methods don’t work there’s may be a gremlin in your machine.
Though if these are files you don’t want to open in PS by default then change them back afterwards and see if the open with PS option appears when right clicking in Explorer and viewer.
SC
Seb_Chen
May 13, 2005
Thanks for the response guys.

Wesley: I could not find the article you’re talking about. Also I don’t really know how to make Windows registry changes. Perhaps you could be more specific. Your idea might work.

troyhark: The problem I’m having is that Photoshop CS2 does not show up as an option in the ‘opens with dialogue’. It’s just not there! And if I manually browse through ‘Program Files’ and locate ‘Photoshop.exe’ and select it, nothing happens. It shoot back to the previous dialogue and PS is still not an option.

BTW, photoshop native files (PSD) and RAW files DO open into PS. Does anyone know if there is a way in Photoshop to change the files it associates with? Thanks.

Seb
C
chrisjbirchall
May 13, 2005
Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling PS. You’ll be presented with a file association dialogue during the install.
JJ
John Joslin
May 13, 2005
Wait!

Since you can open multiple intances of Bridge (just like you currently do with Explorer) you don’t need to mess with the file associations. Just have each of your image folders open in its own instance of Bridge – you can also use the Slide Show view, which is the (better) equivalent of Picture and Fax Viewer.
WN
Wesley_Norman
May 13, 2005
Here is what I found in the Help file Seb.
How to Remove Programs from the "Open With" List View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 258860
Last Review : September 28, 2004
Revision : 2.1
This article was previously published under Q258860
On this page
SUMMARY
MORE INFORMATION
APPLIES TO

SUMMARY
When you right-click a registered file type, you can use the Open With command to select a program to open the file. Each program you use is added to the Open With list for that file type, even if the program you are using is unable to open the selected file type. For example, if you select Microsoft Paint (SPaint.exe) in the Open With dialog box when you open a text document (a file with a .txt extension), the Paint program is listed in the Open With list for all text documents, even though Paint is unable to open text documents. This article describes how to remove programs from the Open With list.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

The programs on the Open With list for each file type are independent of that file’s registered program(s). To remove items from this list, locate the following registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.extension\OpenWithList
NOTE: The above registry key is one path, it has been wrapped for readability.

where extension is the file extension for the file type whose Open With list you want to modify. Delete the value in this key that represents the program to be removed from the Open With list.
Back to the top

———————————————————— ——————–

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Back to the top

Keywords: kbhowto kbenv kbui kbfaq KB258860

Back to the top
C
chrisjbirchall
May 13, 2005
What John said is true, I don’t I’ve used Windows Explorer more than a few times since discovering the Bridge.

Chris
SC
Seb_Chen
May 15, 2005
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

For anyone else who has this problem, I fudged around a bit and found a solution (I didn’t try your method Wesley because I already used this one). Since PSDs were already launching PS, I went into ‘control panel’ and selected ‘folder options’ and then ‘file types’. I then scrolled down and clicked on ‘PSD’, ‘advanced’, and ‘edit’ and under ‘application used to open file’ it listed { "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe" "%1" } I copied the location and then backtracked and went to JPG, JPE, JPEG and TIF, TIFF and pasted the line into those file types under the action ‘edit’. Now a right click and choosing ‘edit’ would launch PS. A double click still launches Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Also, now when I right click and ‘open with’ Photoshop IS listed there!!!

To John and Chris: I’ve tried using bridge, even opening new instances for every folder. The way I work, this is still much, much slower. I have it down to a science with Windows Explorer. Client folders are in quick launch. Those folders in turn have projects listed by name and date. Double click… double click… everything is ‘bing, bang, boom’ and within seconds I’ve found the photo I want. Explorer folders bring everything on screen much quicker than in Bridge. One more double click and the chosen photo is full screen. Scrolling forward and backward is a pinch. Right click ‘edit’ or ‘open with photoshop’ and I’m right in PS. I work very fast and this system is by far the best I’ve found. I never feel like I’m waiting on the computer (except for launching PS CS2 if it’s not already open. That takes a good 12 seconds, much slower than PS 7.0).

Thanks again everyone!
Seb
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
May 15, 2005
If a program doesn’t show up on the "open with" dialogue, there’s an option to Browse for the executable that opens the program you want. Combined witn checking "always use this program to open this file type" or some such drivel, you can set your file preferences pretty easily. No need to dredge in the sludge of the Registry.
JJ
John Joslin
May 15, 2005
Just on the subject of "Open with" – a tip for all Windows Explorer users.

You can always force an "Open with…" in the context menu by holding Shift and Right Clicking on any file.

It seems to work across the board.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections