JZ
Posted By
james_Zellers
Oct 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have installed Photo Elements and everything seems in place except for File/Export. It is there as a pale image and not available.

I have several other photo programs and they are all able to send or export to e-mail using Outlook Express.

How do I engage export in photo elements?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TN
Tony Nazar
Oct 22, 2003
In article ,
wrote:

I have several other photo programs and they are all able to send or export to e-mail using Outlook Express.

How do I engage export in photo elements?

Use the Attach to E-Mail feature
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 22, 2003
James, I’ve never tried Export either, and I see that it’s grayed out in mine also. However, you can use File>Attach to E-Mail to send a single image. For sending multiple images, I find the best way is to go into my e-mail program (Outlook Express) and use the Attach feature there.
JZ
james_Zellers
Oct 22, 2003
Chuck,

Thanks for the response.

I checked the Adobe Elements Program – File options (as well as the others), but I don’t have a File>Attach to E-Mail option under File(not even as a grayed out option?).

I would like to send photo(s)directly from Adobe Elements, in some reduced size (rather than an attachment)for E-Mail.

Jim
EA
Earl_Alexander
Oct 22, 2003
On my PE 2, the attach to email option remains grayed out until there is a image open in the work space.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 22, 2003
James,
I run Outlook Express. I prepare my picture files in Elements, and if I want to send them by e-mail I go to File>save for web, and size the file appropriately so that the transmission and receipt proceed in a timely manner. We have had details delineated for us on this forum on just how to do this, and you can search for the work flow quite readily. After that has been accomplished and the file is saved on my hard drive, I attach it in Outlook Express in the conventional manner.
Ken
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
James, are you sure you’ve got Elements version 2? The Attach to E-mail option wasn’t available in version 1.

I’m also a little confused about what you mean when you say you’d like to send files from Elements, but not as attachments. What do you have in mind? Imbedding it in the body of a message? If so, that would require a different sequence and would be done from the e-mail application.

Maybe you could give us an example of what you want to do so we can be of more help.
JZ
james_Zellers
Oct 22, 2003
Thank You All,

I do have Version 1,which explains the absence of "attach to email".

And,sorry,I do send photo as an attachment (I was confused by viewing a received (inbox) message photo in the preview pane of Outlook Express appearing as if it’s in the body of the message).

I believe that the grayed out Export option on Version 1 is the source of my problem. No matter what I do to the photo image the Export Option stays grayed out.

I can use either MS Picture It, or Ulead PhotoImpact 8. Both provide me with the Export Option,i.e. File>Export>Send to E-mail>(select either)Image File (not compressed) or Compressed for sending via E-Mail. And then after my selections Outlook Express opens with the photo as an attachment ready to send.

So back to my original problem, I cannot access the Export Option.

Absent any solution for this problem, I did try the save for web suggestion which gives me plenty of opportunity to resize for email. Although my interest throughout has been to avoid saving a new or resized photo to my hard drive, closing my photo program, then manually opening Outlook Express and going back into my hard drive to attach.

I guess the next suggestion is to look at an upgrade to Version 2???
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 22, 2003
I’ve never paid any attention to File/Export, before, but now I’ve noticed that it’s always grayed-out on my PSE2.

Perusing Help, I suspect that it becomes active when it has a particular plug-in with which to work.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
James, you could update to version 2, but if you’ve made it this long, I think I’d hold off. Version 3 must be coming down the pike relatively soon, since a new version of full Photoshop was released within the last month or so. Even though Elements v 2 has the attach to e-mail option, you can only attach one image per message, so people haven’t been too impressed with that. It sure isn’t worth the cost of the upgrade all by itself!

What I do is resize an image I want to e-mail, save it as a copy on my desktop, minimize Elements, send the e-mail, and then dump the jpg in the trash. If you’re accustomed to having another app to the whole thing, I can see why that process seems like more trouble, but it’s really not bad.

Also, just for sport, I opened up my copy of PSE 1, and I couldn’t figure out any combination that would enable the Export function either! And I didn’t find one word about it in the Help files. Strange. 🙂

Edit: And furthermore, I just looked in PSE 2; it has Export in the list, too, but I don’t know how it would be used. Does anybody know? We have a "teachable moment" opening up here!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 22, 2003
Beth, re Export: it appears to be a full Photoshop capability involving Illustrator and perhaps some other programs. It’s not meant to be an e-mailer, as far as I can tell. Looks like the workaround for PE1 is to save, open up the e-mail program and attach the files as usual.

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
Can you think of any reason why it’s in Elements? I can’t find anything about it in Help, or I’m search challenged, which is always a likely reason why I can’t find stuff.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 22, 2003
It looks like some sort of plug-ins could be added to make use of it; otherwise, it’s just an artifact from full Photoshop….
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 22, 2003
Harrump. There’s no need to clog our menus with useless items! 🙂
RC
Richard_Coencas
Oct 23, 2003
The reason there is an empty export menu is that we don’t include any of the old export plug-ins with Elements, since you don’t need Gif89a anymore because of Save for Web, and other export functions were more specific to pro uses. But the menu need to remain for the eventuality that a user might purchase 3rd party plug-ins that install to the export menu.

Rich
JZ
james_Zellers
Oct 23, 2003
Then you do not have an Export or Send to E-Mail function?

If not, is there any way to modify Elements to Export or Send to E-Mail?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 23, 2003
Yes, there is no way at all to Export to e-mail in Elements version 1, and there is an Attach to e-mail only in Elements version 2. The Export command was left in the File menu for a different purpose. You’ll either have to use a different program or do it the more traditional way, which is through Attach in your e-mail program. And, no, there is no modification that I’m aware of, and if there was one I’m sure somebody would have mentioned it by now – especially Rich. You’re the first person I can remember asking about this, so you might have to plow new ground and figure it out! 🙂
JZ
james_Zellers
Oct 24, 2003
Thank You
R
resthome
Nov 3, 2003
While not an answer to the PSE question of exporting to E-mail. If you have MS XP as your operating system and want to send a photo by e-mail you could try the following.

While in Windows Explorer, right click on the jpg file name you want to send.
Select Send To then Mail Recipient
If you then click on Show More Options you will get a selection of sizes to choose
JZ
james_Zellers
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks, but I have Windows 98 Second Edition.

I can e-mail out of Explore – but I can’t resize. It’s easier to use either my Ulead Photo Program or my Microsoft Picture It, both export and give me the option to let them resize (reduce KB size and photo dimensions) automatically as they attach to e-mail.

And some one earlier suggested to post to Web where it gives you the opportunity to reduce the KB size, which is handy, but not the photo dimensions.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 4, 2003
James, you can use Save for Web and change the dimensions of the photo. The box in which to do that is located toward the bottom of the window on the left. I just changed one from 2300 pixels to 600.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections