Posted By
drmrbrewer
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Do I really gather from this other thread here:

brent bertram, "sRGB and Adobe RGB in Elements 3.0" #1, 22 Apr 2005 8:26 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

that PSE3 is completely useless when it comes to colour management?

I would find the File > Export facility quite useful for a quick way of selecting images from across my catalog and e.g. saving them in small versions for sending by email or for putting on my palm.

But 98% of my images are in the aRGB colour space.

And 98% of software out there assumes a file is in the sRGB colour space.

So what gives? Are most of these PSE3 utilities completely useless to me, or is there a way I can get PSE3 to honour the colour space and convert to sRGB as the output space when Exporting in this way?

I wouldn’t expect PSE3 to have all the abilities of its big brother version, but surely it should get the absolute basics (i.e. having a sensible colour management policy) right?

Thanks,

Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roy
May 4, 2005
wrote in message
Do I really gather from this other thread here:

brent bertram, "sRGB and Adobe RGB in Elements 3.0" #1, 22 Apr 2005 8:26 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

that PSE3 is completely useless when it comes to colour management?
I would find the File > Export facility quite useful for a quick way of selecting images from across my catalog and e.g. saving them in small versions for sending by email or for putting on my palm.
But 98% of my images are in the aRGB colour space.

And 98% of software out there assumes a file is in the sRGB colour space.
So what gives? Are most of these PSE3 utilities completely useless to me, or is there a way I can get PSE3 to honour the colour space and convert to sRGB as the output space when Exporting in this way?

I wouldn’t expect PSE3 to have all the abilities of its big brother version, but surely it should get the absolute basics (i.e. having a sensible colour management policy) right?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi there.

I think you are shooting at the wrong people. Elements is designed for Photo Manipulation, and Adobe RGB is reckoned to be one of the best Working Space Profiles for Quality Photos, and printing them.

Most other ordinary programs are not capable of Color Management, and can’t read taggged profiles, some of them just drop any tagged profiles anyway.

The difference between looking at an Adobe RGB image and an sRGB will not be noticed by 99.99 % of the General Public, because their Monitors will never have been any where near Calibrated, and will mostly be running at 9500 Kelvin instead of the standard 6500 K used by photographers.

Do you want to get on your big White Horse and tell "them out there" to get themselves organised. They won’t begin to know what you are talking about, so let’s us clever people just keep it a secret all to ourselves.

Roy G

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections