Posted By
blackxacto
May 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
G4/450/dual/OSX33/1gigRAM/45gigHD/Photoshop CS

Does anyone know why Photoshop CS quit suddenly in the middle of making Action sets, saying I had "too many windows open"? Only thing in the Dock running, was CS at the time. Had taken awhile to create and load these stupid Action sets. Now they are gone.

MORE IMPORTANT: Does someone know where all the Sets info is stored? It’s not in the Actions preset folder. There is no way to SAVE Action sets once I make them is there? I hope.

jr

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
May 2, 2004
How much available disk space do you have on that 45GB drive? With 1GB of RAM Photoshop is sure to be making very intensive and extensive use of the scratch disk. Or do you have the scratch disk on a separate drive?
B
blackxacto
May 2, 2004
22 gigs available. I don’t understand what you are talking about because 1 gig RAM is plenty to keep CS from physically writing to the HD, 1 gig would keep the computation in memory. There is no document open. There are no other applications running except for a few processes in the startup menu. I am only trying to build Action Sets from all the actions I have. It’s like reorganizing, not processing, I thought.

jr
R
Ram
May 2, 2004
The scratch disks remain until you quit Photoshop.

1 gig RAM is plenty to keep CS from physically writing to the HD

Not really. Photoshop establishes the scratch disk practically at the very beginning. Figure on about 30 times the size of your image. Remember history states, layers, etc. Depending on the size of your images and what you were doing with all those actions before closing the images, the scratch disks sizes could get pretty large indeed.

Some users who have a lot more physical memory than 1GB still have dedicated 30GB-and-more volumes for scratch disk on separate drives. It speeds things up substantially.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections