LO
Posted By
Lee_Olson
May 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am about to get a Mac and have three years worth of images (I’m a photographer) on my hard drive. I’ve worked very hard on these and am concerned about how they will look on a Mac computer. Has anyone been through this? If so, how did everything look and what adjustments, if any, am I going to have to make?

Thanks in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
May 14, 2005
The files are completely crossplatform compatible. If you have color management set up properly they’ll like exactly the same.

Bob
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 14, 2005
Lee,

…concerned about how they will look on a Mac computer.

Do you mean within Photoshop or in general? If the former, then, assuming you’ve had a color-managed workflow (calibrated monitor, known workspaces, embedded profiles), using the same color settings in Mac Photoshop will ensure things look the same.

Has anyone been through this?

I go back and forth between the two platforms on an almost daily basis, not only with Photoshop images but also with other Adobe app documents. Other than occasional font issues, this is a completely transparent process. I wouldn’t worry about it.

=-= Harron =-=

{Bumped by Bob… more proof that we were separated at birth.}
LO
Lee_Olson
May 14, 2005
Thanks, guys. To clarify, I meant viewing in and out of PS. I am a hobbyist, not a professional photographer, and therefore did not set up any calibration or color management. Now, in hindsight, I see that may have been a mistake. Not having done that am I going to see drastically different images after the switch?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 14, 2005
I meant viewing in and out of PS.

Outside of color-managed applications, all bets are off.

…did not set up any calibration or color management… Not having done that am I going to see drastically different images after the switch?

Probably not drastically different, Lee… unless you did something totally off-the wall with your monitor controls. Consider what you’re asking here. You never calibrated your monitor nor otherwise set up a color-managed workflow. Your question, therefore, might as well be about migrating from one Windows PC to another. Under the circumstances, whether your new platform is a Win or Mac OS machine, it would be difficult to precisely predict the results.

Like I said, I wouldn’t worry about it. Take the leap… have fun.

For what it’s worth, the Mac OS by its nature will make you pay more attention to things like color management. Better late than never.

=-= Harron =-=
LO
Lee_Olson
May 14, 2005
Thanks, Harron. I see what your talking about now. I was going to make the switch no matter what happens with the images so I’ll just cross that bridge when it come to it………………..and calibrate the new system, of course. 😉
BH
Bobby_Henderson
May 14, 2005
Windows PCs and Macs will display color differently if you don’t have ICC and/or ColorSync profiles developed for your system.

I see this issue more commonly in how web page graphics are displayed. In general, when displaying a specific color the Windows machine will typically show the color a tad darker and the Mac will show it brighter. This factor is at the heart of why any company doing web development should always proof their projects on a Windows PC. It doesn’t matter at all how great a Mac may be. If 95% of the users out there are viewing the finished project on a Windows machine, you need to see how things are going to look on a Windows machine. Simple as that.

There are some workarounds, such as Photoshop simulating the differences in Mac and PC gamma.
BG
barry_gray
May 14, 2005
The simple solution is to calibrate your Mac monitor to a 2.2 gamma (Mac’s is set to 1.8) In fact many proffessional Mac users do this. Saves a lot of head aches. Things will be just dandy from then on.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections