JS
Posted By
john smtih
Jul 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, i have a logo, and i want to insert a picture of a guitar. The guitar i have has a white background. So how would i crop everything but the guitar. It’s obviously round and has curves, so how would i trace the guitar out?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
Jul 25, 2003
Depends a lot on the image. Theer are whole books on this topic …

For starters, try clicking on the white background with the magic wand. May need to follow this up with the Select Similar command. Then invert the selection [SHFT-CTRL-I] and copy to a new layer [CTRL-J].
JC
Josh Conley
Jul 25, 2003
if that doesnt work go into Edit>Extract
C
Cheesefood
Jul 25, 2003
CTRL P to paste onto the logo graphic.

CTRL V to Paste. CTRL P to print.
V
viol8ion
Jul 25, 2003
CTRL V to Paste. CTRL P to print.

Opps! I know that! Read what I meant, not what I typed!!! :-p
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 25, 2003
If the guitar is on a plain white background, try this…

Duplicate the layer. Click the "F" at the bottom of the layers pallet and choose blending options, the Blending options dialog appears.

About in the middle of the dialog is a dropdown called Knockout – choose shallow.

Now the slider that says "this layer", look at the pointer on the right. Use Alt-Click to split that apart and drag it to the left. Look at the image – white is gone.

Stamp that by creating a new layer and while keeping the Alt key held down, choose Layers|Merge Visible. Your guitar will be on a transparent background.

Amazing but true…

Peace,
Tony
MH
Mike Hide
Aug 31, 2003
I changed operating systems from ME to XP home version.

I am pleased with the upgrade but have one complaint , with ME double clicking on an image film displayed the image in photoshop, now, double clicking on the image file results in opening photoshop but no image displayed .

Any help would be appreciated ….mjh

mike hide
PB
Paul Burdett
Dec 13, 2003
Hello,
For some reason my "Liquify" filter is playing up! When I open an image in Photoshop7 and select the Liquify filter, I am unable to ‘distort’ the parts of the image I want. Instead, clicking the brush over a part of the image results in a square at the point (acting like the clone tool). Holding the mouse in one position has no effect.
Hopefully this is just a setting issue.
Paul
PB
Paul Burdett
Dec 13, 2003
"Paul Burdett" wrote in message
Hello,
For some reason my "Liquify" filter is playing up! When I open an image in Photoshop7 and select the Liquify filter, I am unable to ‘distort’ the
parts
of the image I want. Instead, clicking the brush over a part of the image results in a square at the point (acting like the clone tool). Holding the mouse in one position has no effect.
Hopefully this is just a setting issue.
Paul

Edit: please ignore: It is now working. I had the "thaw" button depressed in the left menu. All is ok now.
Paul
PB
Paul Burdett
Dec 20, 2003
Hi all,
My question relates to the Imageready programme. I can open an avi (video) into Imageready. Is it possible to apply a filter (eg watercolour) to all the frames of the avi without having to apply it to each frame individually? If so, how?
Cheers,
Paul
WS
Warren Sarle
Dec 21, 2003
Hi all,
My question relates to the Imageready programme. I can open an avi (video) into Imageready. Is it possible to apply a filter (eg watercolour) to all the frames of the avi without having to apply it to each frame
individually?
If so, how?

Look for a post from Dec 20 with subject, "Droplets are cool".
PB
Paul Burdett
Dec 22, 2003
Thank you…but I’ll reply to that thread as I’m still confused. Paul

"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
Hi all,
My question relates to the Imageready programme. I can open an avi
(video)
into Imageready. Is it possible to apply a filter (eg watercolour) to
all
the frames of the avi without having to apply it to each frame
individually?
If so, how?

Look for a post from Dec 20 with subject, "Droplets are cool".
D
deacon1984
Jan 17, 2004
I recently installed PSE2 on my computer, having used PSE for over a year. When I open photos is PSE2, the photo is immediately darkened from the original image. If I have a thumbnail of available photos up on the screen in PSE2, the thumbnail pictures are normal, but as soon as they are opened, they are darkened. (The thumbnail is then darkened, as well, although the original picture still appears fine in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer). I never had this problem with PSE. I have calibrated my monitor (LCD, with the same result. My OS is Windows XP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 17, 2004
Deacon,

You are pretty much describing how PSE2 acted for me until I installed the IgnoreEXIF utility, which is available for download from Adobe’s Support site.

Byron
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 17, 2004
It sounds to me like your monitor profile is bad . Ian Lyons Image Flow < http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gi f>

shows that that profile is what interprets your image to the screen in Elements/Photoshop . Is it possible that you have a factory profile available for the display ? And , that you could load that factory profile into Adobe Gamma, and then immediately save it under another name, to be used as the default. That’s what I get from the Adobe techdoc <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm> .

🙂

Brent
D
deacon1984
Jan 17, 2004
Byron and Brent,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I calibrated my monitor with the software that came with it, rather than the Adobe Gamma. I didn’t really understand that the purpose of the calibration was to create the profile that PSE2 would use to read the picture. Using Adobe Gamma fixed the problem. I’m still too much of a neophyte to all this.

In any event, it works now. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

John
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 17, 2004
Deacon,

Just out of curiosity.
I wonder why the darkening all of a sudden appeared since you use PSE as you were already a user of PS?

Robert
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jan 18, 2004
HELP !!

After using Elements 1 for two years, I purchased an Epson 3200 scanner; Elements 2came with the scanner so I installed it. Now I cannot find a way to put a border around my photos, was a simple job in Elements 1, any suggestions?

Thanks all, you have helped many times in the past.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 18, 2004
People seem to define "border" differently. Do you mean like a plain colored strip all around the outside edges? If so, select the entire image and then go to Edit>Stroke. You can choose the width (in pixels) for your border and the color, and choose if you want the border inside the edges of the image, outside, or centered.

If this isn’t what you want to do, could you try and describe it a bit more clearly, please?
C
CampBarbara
Jan 29, 2004
I have drawn an image in Phtoshop on a transparent background and I want to save it toa jpeg. To do this I have to flatten the image, when I do this it puts a white background on it!!! How do I save the image as a jpeg but with a transparent background?
Please email me direct. Thankyou
Frankie

http://www.campbarbara.co.uk
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 29, 2004
CampBarbara wrote:
I have drawn an image in Phtoshop on a transparent background and I want to save it toa jpeg. To do this I have to flatten the image, when I do this it puts a white background on it!!! How do I save the image as a jpeg but with a transparent background?
Frankie

Jpeg does not support transparency. Although you can save an additional "alpha" channel containing this information, it will not necessarily be interpreted by the software that will be viewing it.

You may find PNG a more satisfactory image format, since it is now supported by most web browsers.

Otherwise your only alternative for web work is Compuserve GIF, which has problems with fringing – i.e. the matte color must match the background against which the image will be viewed.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
H
Hecate
Jan 30, 2004
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:31:22 +0000 (UTC), CampBarbara
wrote:

Frankie
If you want email, don’t ask questions on a newsgroup.

You can’t save a jpg with a transparent bac=kground because jpg’s don’t support transparency.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
LH
Les Holder
Feb 2, 2004
Hi

A photographer friend is having a problem starting Photoshop, he rang this morning.

When he attempts to start the program it goes through the splash screen shapes fonts loading etc, then just when it should start it disappears!!!

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

Les
S
Stewy
Feb 2, 2004
"Les Holder" wrote in message
Hi

A photographer friend is having a problem starting Photoshop, he rang
this
morning.

When he attempts to start the program it goes through the splash screen shapes fonts loading etc, then just when it should start it disappears!!!
The program could be corrupted.
Try an uninstall and re-install.
P
Paun
Dec 6, 2004
is there any plug-in for rendering snow on photografs or good advice how to do that in photoshop

thanks

Paun Drazen
+385802009
N
noone
Dec 7, 2004
In article <cp1maa$f78$ says…
is there any plug-in for rendering snow on photografs or good advice how to do that in photoshop

thanks

Paun Drazen
+385802009

Paun,

Probably the best method is to find scenes with snow with lighting similar to your existing scene and then place pieces of it, as necessary, on Layers with Layer Masks. You can also do a Googles.Groups search for this, and teh alt… photoshop NG, as there was recent discussion on "building" snow and some of those tips might help you.

Hunt
BS
Bryan_S_Boyce
Jun 13, 2005
Hello, I used a 30 day free trial of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and it expired. I was wondering if there was a way to download it again and get another 30 days? Please help.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jun 13, 2005
Byan,

Once a trial has expired, that’s it…no more trial period. Plus, as PS7 is now 2 versions old, it is unlikely you’d find it available through Adobe for download any more. At best, you’d probably want to try the current PS CS2 demo, also with a 30-day limit.

Regards,

Daryl
BS
Bryan_S_Boyce
Jun 13, 2005
thanks…um where would i download that?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 13, 2005
Bryan. Please don’t double post.
PB
Paul Burdett
Sep 25, 2006
Hi,
This is a new one for me. I’ve been using Photoshop CS2 for quite a while, but decided to do some panoramas in Panorama Factory. For some reason i can’t open the resulting panorama jpg image in photoshop. I get the message: cannot complete your request because of a problem parsing the jpeg data. Any help appreciated. The file is around 6Mb in size.
Cheers,
Paul

P.S. if I try to open it in IPhoto (my other editor)…it doesn’t open, and says it is more than 32,000 pixels wide.
D
dido22
Nov 24, 2007
Hello,

I have PE5. I want to edit a photograph to make it look more like a cartoon. Can anyone point me to the best filters or enhancements please ?

Thanks

KK
JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 24, 2007
Try Filter/Artistic/PosterEdges.

"dido22" wrote in message
Hello,

I have PE5. I want to edit a photograph to make it look more like a cartoon. Can anyone point me to the best filters or enhancements please ?
Thanks

KK

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit
MJ
Michael J Davis
Nov 28, 2007
dido22 opined
Hello,

I have PE5. I want to edit a photograph to make it look more like a cartoon. Can anyone point me to the best filters or enhancements please

Just a thought.

I was playing with the Shadows / Highlights settings, to get ‘flat colours’

Unfortunately, I ended up with ‘haloing’ – I don’t know why.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/1418946399/

However it could be a good starting place before going to an artistic transformation.

The other way is to ‘posterize’, combined with the above.

HIH

Mike

[The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting] —
Michael J Davis

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
For this is what the Lord has said to me,
"Go and post a Watchman and let
him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
<><

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections