Could not open a BMP file… …Please HELP!!!!!

DC
Posted By
David Crampton
Sep 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been happily used Photshop 5.5 for the last few years and consider myself a reasonably experienced user (use it nearly everyday for work)… However! …for about the last 6 or so months every so often my Photoshop decides that it will NOT open BMP (Bitmap) files any more!!!

In addition to this and at the same time as this problem occurs, it also decides to NOT let me create (or save a copy of) a file as a GIF!!!??? I have always been able to perform these simple functions for the last few years without a hitch….?????

No the only way I can fix this problem is by completely uninstalling and then re-installing Photoshop 5.5 on my PC – this will fix the problem for about 6 to 8 weeks and then ***BANG*** it happens again!!

Could anyone please provide me with a solution??? …It becomes a real pain having to dig out my Photoshop disc and going through the uninstall re-install ritual everytime…

PC Specs: PC, Pentium 4, 2Ghz, Windows 98 OS, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram, …etc, etc….

PLEASE HELP!!! :o(

Regards,
David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Sounds like you’re missing some (or all) of your plugins.
DC
David Crampton
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks Chris,

I suspected that it could have something to do with the plug-ins, HOWEVER… It doesn’t explain why they just "disappear" of the face of my hard-drive??? …Re-installing obviously fixes the problem but I don’t want to have to keep re-installing PS5.5 every 6-8 weeks or so…

….is there a bug such as this that anyone has heard of? and if so is the a bug fix for it???

Also – as I mentioned when I posted this problem, how come I had no problem with PS5.5 at all for the first couple of years, and now it happens every 6-8 weeks??? …granted I have upgraded my PC in the meantime, hardware only though, have been using the same Operating system (Win98) and other software loaded on this PC for just as long as I have had PS5.5 (since new)….

PLEASE HELP – if anyone knows how to fix this problem… it’s a CHALLENGE!!!

Thank you all… …eagerly awaiting your responses!

🙂

David
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
They don’t just disappear.

Either you move them, delete them, move the app, run a utility that messes up your machine, etc. It _might_ be corrupt preferences, but I doubt it.

No, there is no such bug.
It’s something that someone is doing on your machine.
DC
David Crampton
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks again Chris…

However, I certainly haven’t moved, deleted or made any such mods to the plug-ins or any other part of the program – the application it’s self has never been moved and there has been no messing around with registry keys or any associated dll files – no additional utilities have been running on this machine and no one else touches this machine either as…

….the only likely scenario is some sort of corruption or a bug of some sort – still doesn’t explain why after uninstalling & re-installing it works for 6 or so weeks and then reverts back to the same problem…

….thanks for your thoughts and for your prompt replies – if you hear of anything that may help or if anyone else noes anything about this problem… PLEASE HELP!!! ….

Thanks..
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 19, 2004
Logical question: can you open them in anything else?

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections