MS
Posted By
Musawwir Spiegel
Jul 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Photoshop CS2 to print labels for CDs. There are times when I would like to type text that would wrap while contained by the curvature of a portion of the round label. However, the only way I know of to control the wrapping of text is by use of a bounding box, which appears only to be usable as a rectangle or a skewed rectangle that skews the type.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Musawwir Spiegel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Tacit
Jul 23, 2008
In article ,
Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

I have been using Photoshop CS2 to print labels for CDs. There are times when I would like to type text that would wrap while contained by the curvature of a portion of the round label. However, the only way I know of to control the wrapping of text is by use of a bounding box, which appears only to be usable as a rectangle or a skewed rectangle that skews the type.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Not in Photoshop. Wrong tool for the job; you’re using a screwdriver to drive nails. It’s easy in Illustrator or InDesign.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
JJ
John J
Jul 24, 2008
Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

If you do not have Illustrator, then in Photoshop there are a couple ways, depending upon what form you want the type to take.

If you want the type to be horizontal, but breaking within the bounds of the label, then create an elipse shape (shape palette). Select circle. Draw the circle. Then place your type tool inside the circle and type away. Text will wrap inside the circle. When done, wink-out or delete the layer of the shape and you are good to go.

If you wish the text to curve in a ratio with the boundary, then select the text tool, then at the top of the window, select the option to create warped text. It’s the icon of the slanted letter T with a curved arrow below it. Select Arc. If you press Enter, and continue typing the type will fill down as you want it to.

A second way to do the above with a little more control is to just type the text, then select it and take Edit – Transform – Warp, choose the arc or shape you wish and play with the settings that appear in the top menu bar.
MS
Musawwir Spiegel
Jul 24, 2008
Dear John,

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my question..

However, I am not interested in typing in curved or warped text. I wish to type horizon characters but restrained for the purposes of word wrapping by a curved perimeter.

Musawwir

John wrote:

Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

If you do not have Illustrator, then in Photoshop there are a couple ways, depending upon what form you want the type to take.
If you want the type to be horizontal, but breaking within the bounds of the label, then create an elipse shape (shape palette). Select circle. Draw the circle. Then place your type tool inside the circle and type away. Text will wrap inside the circle. When done, wink-out or delete the layer of the shape and you are good to go.

If you wish the text to curve in a ratio with the boundary, then select the text tool, then at the top of the window, select the option to create warped text. It’s the icon of the slanted letter T with a curved arrow below it. Select Arc. If you press Enter, and continue typing the type will fill down as you want it to.

A second way to do the above with a little more control is to just type the text, then select it and take Edit – Transform – Warp, choose the arc or shape you wish and play with the settings that appear in the top menu bar.

Musawwir Spiegel
JJ
John J
Jul 24, 2008
Musawwir Spiegel wrote:
Dear John,

However, I am not interested in typing in curved or warped text. I wish to type horizon characters but restrained for the purposes of word wrapping by a curved perimeter.

Musawwir

The first part of my response describes how to do that. You can wrap text in any shape.

Example: http://www.digoliardi.net/txt_in_circle.jpg

Top shows circle constraint (it could be an entire circle) plus another shape filled the same way.
K
KatWoman
Jul 24, 2008
John wrote:

Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

Musawwir Spiegel
"Musawwir Spiegel" wrote in message
Dear John,

Musawwir

even easier

make shape with any tool
change to a path
type in it

Most CD DVD programs do this more easily but do not have great image options

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections