Posted By
Musawwir Spiegel
Apr 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop CS2

In order to print labels for CDs, I created a template file which is tailored to the size of the label stock I use. I also created a work path that matches the outer circle of the CD and the inner circle of the hole. Then I activate the work path so that I can type in any label data in the appropriate places.

Recently, I have sometimes found that when I choose the Text tool and click it on the surface of the label image, a bounding box appears around the outer circle. In the Paths palette, a new entry appears marked "Layer 2 Type Path" and I am unable to type text into the document or get rid of the bounding box unless I de-select the path that I created as a guide..

I can’t figure out how to get rid of the bounding box in a manner that will allow me to type text.

What do I do to fix this problem?

Musawwir Spiegel

Musawwir Spiegel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Rob
Apr 30, 2009
Musawwir Spiegel wrote:
I use Photoshop CS2

I can’t figure out how to get rid of the bounding box in a manner that will allow me to type text.

Select > deselect?

or

ctl+D
MS
Musawwir Spiegel
Apr 30, 2009
Thank you for your advice, Rob.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. In fact, when the bounding box is on the screen, all of the choices on the Select menu are grayed out.

Musawwir

Rob wrote:

Musawwir Spiegel wrote:
I use Photoshop CS2

Select > deselect?

or

ctl+D
Musawwir Spiegel
R
Rob
May 1, 2009
Musawwir Spiegel wrote:
Thank you for your advice, Rob.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. In fact, when the bounding box is on the screen, all of the choices on the Select menu are grayed out.
Musawwir

Is the bounding box in a layer which it should be when adding text as such.

Rob wrote:

Musawwir Spiegel wrote:
I use Photoshop CS2

Select > deselect?

or

ctl+D
Musawwir Spiegel
MR
Mike Russell
May 1, 2009
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:16:12 -0700, Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

….
In order to print labels for CDs, I created a template file which is tailored to the size of the label stock I use. I also created a work path that matches the outer circle of the CD and the inner circle of the hole. Then I activate the work path so that I can type in any label data in the appropriate places.

Activating a saved path should allow you to type material with a circular area bounded by the path. IOW, type always flows from the top of the circle to the bottom, and each line expands to match the horizontal width of the circle.

Recently, I have sometimes found that when I choose the Text tool and click it on the surface of the label image, a bounding box appears around the outer circle. In the Paths palette, a new entry appears marked "Layer 2 Type Path" and

This is what happens on my system. The bounding box indicates that the type tool is active, and you can use the handles on the box to change the shape of the path. The "Layer 2 Type Path" will be there during while initially creating the type layer, and whenever the type layer is active.

I am unable to type text into the
document or get rid of the bounding box unless I de-select the path that I created as a guide..

In what way are you unable to type the text? I don’t have CS2 installed right now, so I can’t verify this, but is it possible that you have the type tool set to Type Mask mode? Or that your text color is set to white

The bounding box is normal on my system.

Please describe what happens when you type – does the type simply not show up? Someone here will come up with an answer.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
MS
Musawwir Spiegel
May 2, 2009
Until recently this phenomenon (automatic creation of a bounding box when I engaged the type tool at a place inside of a closed circular path) was not occurring.

I have the path visible merely as a guide that enables me to see that I limit my typing to a place within the bounds of that circ ular path. I used to use a separate layer that showed the inner and outer circles to use as a guide, but I often forgot to make that layer invisible before I printed the CD label. The beauty of using the circular path was that it would not appear in the printout.

Nowadays, once that bounding box appears, I am unable to enter any type within that circular path.. Something has changed in the way CS2 is acting. This is not like a situation in which I might be trying to change the shape (width, curvature, etc.) of some text.

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong that results in this unwanted bounding box appearing whenever I place the type tool cursor within the circular path?

Musawwir Spiegel

Mike Russell wrote:
This is what happens on my system. The bounding box indicates that the type tool is active, and you can use the handles on the box to change the shape of the path. The "Layer 2 Type Path" will be there during while initially creating the type layer, and whenever the type layer is active.
MR
Mike Russell
May 2, 2009
On Sat, 02 May 2009 13:24:49 -0700, Musawwir Spiegel wrote:

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong that results in this unwanted bounding box appearing whenever I place the type tool cursor within the circular path?

Try this:

1) load your current circular path as a selection
2) invert the selection (ctrl-shift-I)
3) create another work path

The new path behaves as you describe. It will allow you to type text normally within the circle, without the bounding box appearing. For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winding_number

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections