MM
Posted By
Mitchell_Mathes
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can i create a arched solid line to a specified curvature. basically i want to create a rectanglar box but curved or arched. The ends of box should be approx. 2 inches below the top centeror middle of box. Thanks, Mitchell

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 17, 2004
Mitchell,
1. Open new, blank layer
2. Go to Rectangular marquee too, set feather 50px, style normal
3. Go to Image>transform>free transform. Now adjust the box to your requirement.
Hope that this will do it for you.
Ken
MM
Mitchell_Mathes
Jun 17, 2004
Ken, this only moves the rectangle around it does not seem to create a curve to the lines. thanks for your time though.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 17, 2004
Don’t know if this is what you want but have you tried using the rounded rectangle shape tool? You can set options for it in the options bar.

Terri
MM
Mitchell_Mathes
Jun 17, 2004
Terri, thanks but that only produces a straight line with curved edges, i need a curved line, like a rainbow.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 17, 2004
Mitchell,
I understand it better now. The only curved "ready made" thing that I can think of is in the type tool,where one can select ( See upper right) various warp text tools, which can be adjusted in many ways.
Ken
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 17, 2004
Have you tried working with the elements shapes. There is a half round shape. Hold in the shift key to constrain shape so you don’t distort it and drag it out. If you just want a line curved instead of a solid half round, then select subtract from the shape options bar and drag a second half round shape holding in the shift key,and the spacebar (using the space bar while dragging allows you to move the second shape around so you can put your subtraction in the correct place.) The advantage is that the shape will still be vector which means you’ll be able to scale it without messing it up. If I am misunderstanding, also look at the shape options bar. You can add, subtract, intersect, any shape. (Don’t worry about those line paths when you add or subtract from the shape. They go away when you don’t have the shape layer selected anymore.)

The other methods I can think of off hand involve simplification which means changing the size of the arch will degrade the pixels. But here they are anyway.

2. Drag out line. Drag marquee tool around. Filter,Distort, Polar Coordinates. Just delete the excess curvature.

3. Drag out line. Rotate 90 degrees. Drag marquee tool around. Filter, Distort, Sheer.

I don’t off hand know of a way to specified a specific curvature in PSE but who knows maybe someone will have the answer. There are just so many ways to do a task! I’m not even absolutely sure this is what you want to do but hope it at least gives you a few ideas.

Terri
RC
Robert_Camacho
Jun 17, 2004
Hi

Not sure if this is what you are trying to achieve but maybe another idea can be created from this. Seems like I am always interpreting things differently 😉

1) Click on the shape tool and use the Custom Shape Picker then click on the little arrow head to the right – Choose Shapes, Semicircle
2) Draw your semicircle
3) Click on Menu Item Image, Rotate, Vertical
4) Create duplicate layer of shape
5) Click on Move Tool and move image a little bit downwards
6) Click on Magic Wand Tool and dark area of the image you just moved
7) Click OK to simplify layer
8) Click on the delete button (not layer delete)
9) Selection shape should still be there so using Layer palette click on lower layer and press the delete button again and choose OK to simplify. Then press delete button again (not layer delete)
10) You should have a curved line now so click on Magic Wand Tool again and click on dark area to select that shape.
11) Click on Menu Item Image, Transform, Free transform. Holding down either your Ctrl or Alt keys while moving the handles will change perspective and size
12) Add Rectangular shape below that if that’s what you wish to accomplish

Robert
MM
Mitchell_Mathes
Jun 18, 2004
Thanks to all for the info. Ken’s idea seem to work the best I was able to achieve what i wanted by 90% which was suffient. thanks to all and especially Ken.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 18, 2004
Thanks, Mitchell. I learned from this as well.
Ken

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections