SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Apr 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS on OS 10.3.3. I was working on an image that had about 20-30 layers, about 10 of those where verious color correction layers. Curves, hue & saturation (I used the blend if option to restrict this layer to just the shadow), etc. Some of these layers may have had different blending modes. I have beed using Photoshop since 2.0. I seem to rember this happening to me once before several years ago, but I can not recall what was causing this. Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mark McIntyre
Apr 10, 2004
Try doing a "Duplicate Image" with merge layers selected.
SP
steve_peters
Apr 10, 2004
I tried that, and it still changes color. The change is slight, but noticable.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 10, 2004
the facts of life.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 10, 2004
Two other options:

1. Make a new layer > option-Merge visible (from the flyout menu). It’ll fill your blank layer with a composite of your layers. Is the color preserved?

2. Duplicate the layered document > one at a time, select pixel layers that have adjustment layers altering them and command-E to merge them one by one > after all are merged, flatten the file. Any better?
SP
steve_peters
Apr 17, 2004
Ok. So I tried what Doug suggested and I still am having some color change. I did go ahead and just start merging down one layer at a time, and I found that it was just or normal curves adjustment layers that would cause the slight color change. There was no special blending mode or anything. I found that merging one layer at a time I still ended up with the same color. I also noticed that if I zoomed into %66.7 you could not see the color change, but I just assumed that this was because I was looking at a much smaller part of the image. The image is of a car shot on a road that is covered by trees. So there is alot of variation of color an luminosity in the leaves.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 17, 2004
Are you looking at this at 100% (View/Actual Pixels) and do you have a true Background Layer?

Do you see changes if you "Merge-up" into an empty layer while viewing at 100%?
SP
steve_peters
Apr 18, 2004
I do not see the color change at %100. But I feel that this is do to the fact that I am only seeing a very small portion of my image. As I said above, this is a shot of a car in some trees. I am only seeing the color change in the leaves, and a little on the trunks of the trees, but not on the car. I notice slightly less yellow over all and small decrease in saturation. This image is roughly 8.5×11 at 480dpi. So when I zoom in at %100 I am only seeing a very small portion of the image. I have tried merging up and still see the change when I am zoomed out. It has been suggested that it is just the way that Photoshop handles images that are at anything but %100. I can believe that, but I have been using Photoshop since 2.0,, and I can only remember this happening 1 other time back in 6.0. I do not recall the circumstances of that image though.
I just did a test and placed some eyedropper points in the area’s that I saw the change, and the numbers did not change. So then the color change is being caused by the preview. But why this image? I am working in 16bit, so that is something new for me. Has anyone else experienced this?
R
Ram
Apr 18, 2004
Steve,

When you are looking at an image at 100% you are looking at the actual pixels. At any other resolution Photoshop and any other application will have to interpolate or average neighboring pixels. The color change is inevitable, expected and natural. That’s why 100% is there.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 19, 2004
Since this only seems to be a display issue, what this implies to me is that the Merging-up, or stamping, provides no real advantage over simply flattening.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
Merging-up has several advantages:

It lets me have a number of such layers (with different content) that I can make visible at will so that I can "Place" (and embed) any one of the variations in different Illustrator files.

I can also USM the stamped layer without affecting any of the underlying layers.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 20, 2004
John isn’t doubting the convenience of merging; he’s questioning whether it preserves the appearance of color, tone, blend modes, opacity, and so forth any better than image flattening does.

JS, I’m not smart enough to understand WHY under certain circumstances merging preserves something that flattening disfigures – and, worse, I can’t recreate the specific image conditions under which merge and flatten produce different results. But I’m quite sure I have seen (even at 100% mag) certain blending effects and layer style appearances altered by flattening (sometimes because there isn’t a true background layer in the image, sometimes for more mysterious reasons, more often with grayscale tones than color for some reason). In these situations, I’ve been able to protect appearances by either merging into a new layer, merging individual pairs of layers at a time, or even duplicating the image with "merged" selected (which is especially strange since this action is suspiciously like flattening… but I don’t think it actually flattens the duplicate to a true Background layer).

You’re entitled to specific examples. I wish I or someone else who believes what I’m saying could supply them. I’ll keep my eyes open.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 20, 2004
Doug,

when you compile massive amounts of color edits, things are going to break from an engineering standpoint. It is truly amazing that the stuff works as well as it does, but the simple fact that a flat file "should" look like a layered document is a real concern.

Let me just say that……… "there aware of it"
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 20, 2004
Got it, Mikey. I actually am not really concerned about this issue… mostly ’cause I’ve found the workarounds that I mentioned above. I was just trying to convince John that merging really does protect certain appearances under certain conditions that wholesale flattening doesn’t. Problem is, I can’t be real persuasive ’cause I don’t understand the technicalities enough to reproduce the circumstances for him.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 20, 2004
It’s a real issue for me Doug due to the type of work I do.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 20, 2004
Understand that completely, Mike.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 20, 2004
I imagine that this phenomenon has something to do with the order in which the mathematical equations for the different adjustments and layer-modes are compiled — depending on whether you are merging up or down.

I have definitely noticed the difference in the past so I adopted the merging-up technique and now I always "merge-up".
JS
John_Slate
Apr 20, 2004
Well that’s good enough for me.

Even though I have never seen the problem, I can accept that it exists.

As a printer, I guess I don’t really do that much work on complex layered files, so it’s not surprising that I don’t bump up against this.

Then again there is the flattening that ID does to consider…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 21, 2004
hmm..
JS
John_Slate
Apr 21, 2004
Oh geez, I’ve been "hmm…ed"
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 21, 2004
<< Then again there is the flattening that ID does to consider… >>

I normally use my merged-up layer to duplicate to a new flattened file; mode-change that file to CMYK; and place it in Indesign.

Where you may run into complications with InDesign’s flattening is if you have vector objects in your Photoshop file.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 21, 2004
I’m going to take a closer look at merging up solutions Ann.

thanks.
SP
steve_peters
Apr 22, 2004
I think I may be confused by what you mean when you say merge up. Could you please explain?
JS
John_Slate
Apr 22, 2004
steve:

you put a blank layer at the very top then shift-option-cmd-E, or hold down option while selecting merge visible from either the layer pull-down or the layer palette flyout.

The top layer then is a flattened version of all below it, which you can then move to its own document.

It’s also called stamping.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 22, 2004
And – again – if your objective is solely to move a composite version of the layered file to a new document (as opposed to, for example, Ann’s multi-purposes), then Image>Duplicate>Merged layers seems to do the same thing in one step.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections