PNG changing colors using save for web (CS2)

JM
Posted By
Jesper_M
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks ballard …

Ill keep trying to get to work, but im very pussel …
I simply cant get it to work as it shud

I have check and dobbelt chek my profiles, and try many difren ways to make it work with save as, but with no luck.

Until i get it to work ill have to use the save as funktion insted.

(Maby other have have an ideer to how i can make it work)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 18, 2008
In a color managed browser, I can see the difference in the png8 and png24 images.

In a browser without color management, I can see less of a difference in those swatches (still visible though) but the last column now displays a visible difference.

Google for ‘PNG color match’ for others in the same situation < http://warpedvisions.org/2008/08/07/fixing-png-color-matchin g-for-safari-and-ie/>. Why is PNG necessary if GIF/JPG work? Some claim jumping to Fireworks or GIMP may give better results.

Here’s a nifty article:
<http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma/>
JM
Jesper_M
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks Jim .. Ill take a god look at those link …

In a browser without color management, I can see less of a difference in those swatches (still visible though) but the last column now displays a visible difference.

Strange .. it the same diffrence in all the browsers i have seen it in, also on a PC. gif jpg and the last png match up .. but not the 8 and 24
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 19, 2008
The issue is gamma, which is never the same on any two monitors. One can adjust gamma in the OS/display control and also with the buttons on the display. These two settings can argue with each other. This is why an external display calibration device is often used by professional graphic artists… but the general web audience will not do this type of calibration so we design for the lowest common denominator (gif/jpg).
NR
Nathan_Rice
Dec 11, 2008
Now I’ve read up on it, it seems the issue is indeed gamma.

(I really appreciate the "that’s impossible, you must be doing something wrong" comments, by the way. Not "hmm, I don’t know," but actually "what you’ve described in detail isn’t happening; you’re imagining things." Super helpful.)

Anyway the real question is: is there a way to stop Photoshop from including gamma data? It’s apparently an optional portion of the PNG spec.

The whole gamma thing is unfortunate, but the *really* unfortunate bit is that Photoshop includes this information at all, particularly in a Save for Web context.

Most importantly, it seems this has been an issue for some time (Google "PNG Photoshop gamma"), and PNG is usually used for web, so why on Earth hasn’t Adobe addressed this? Let’s not forget that Photoshop is the industry-leading tool, and the Extended version costs $1000 by itself. The only options I’ve seen for saving as PNG in PS so far is sRGB conversion, bit depth, transparency, and interlacing. This whole gamma thing seems pretty unacceptable behavior, even by default.

I’m looking into pngcrush; does anyone have a simpler solution to strip the gamma information? Of course, if there’s a way to do this in Photoshop itself, please please let me know.

Thanks.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 11, 2008
For reference, this thread is mingling with another. <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b73c1f>

Anyway the real question is: is there a way to stop Photoshop from including gamma data?

See the ‘opting out’ section in one of the links above <http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma/>. Stripping out the gamma info may not help because of the different way that browsers handle PNG.

The safest way to deal with this is to re-engineer your design. If you are relying on the transparency of PNG, re-think how you might update your design with flattened art.

Or consider layering one PNG file over another. If both PNG files are produced on the same system and with the same app, they should have consistent gamma data and no color difference will be visible.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections