Changing background color — erase tool (PS, CS4)

GW
Posted By
Gloria West
Jun 27, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use the Erase tool, what remains is checkerboard pattern.

How can I change this checkerboard to match the solid pattern/color of the surrounding pixels?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
Jonz
Jun 27, 2011
In PS CS5,
Edit|Preferences|Transparency&Gamut|Transparency Settings

Should be similar in PS CS4

On 6/26/2011 7:50 PM, Gloria West wrote:
How can I change this checkerboard to match the solid pattern/color of the surrounding pixels?

Thanks.
C
Carrie
Jun 27, 2011
"Jonz" wrote in message
In PS CS5,

I’ve wondered that, too.

On 6/26/2011 7:50 PM, Gloria West wrote:
How can I change this checkerboard to match the solid pattern/color of the
surrounding pixels?

Thanks.
V
Voivod
Jun 27, 2011
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:50:25 -0700, Gloria West
scribbled:

That’s because you’ve ERASED the image and there’s nothing there.
GW
Gloria West
Jun 27, 2011
In PS CS5,
[Jonz]

The Transparency Settings allow you to set the size & color of the checks, or make the transparent color a solid (not checked) color. But the background is still transparent.

I don’t see how to make it opaque (not transparent)…

G.
DJ
david johnson
Jun 27, 2011
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:50:25 -0700, Gloria West
wrote:

Thanks.

that would be a bad idea , as you would not be able to see the object clearly to edit.

a better idea would be to put the colour background you require underneath it on a layer of its own, or indeed fill in the transparency with the colour.

no offence i assume you are new to photoshop and simply want to replace the background with one of your own. If that is the case, then all the answers given will not actually realistically help you, for example a jpg will not hold a transparent layer. So should you save it as so, no matter what you saved the ransparency layer colour too it will end up as white.

there are lots of youtube videos to help you replace a background, and if you havent figured it out already there is never one answer.

you could even choose the colour you want and instead of erase tool just choose brush, if the colour is solid you could simply choose the magic wand to select the background then choos the colour and then fill in the marching ants.

perhaps i am way off the mark here and apologise so if i am, but i see no reason at all to have the transparent layer match the edge of the object.The idea of that feature is to allow you to see through it. Granted some ppl do not like the chequer effect and use the solid gray.
GW
Gloria West
Jun 27, 2011
no offence i assume you are new to photoshop and simply want to replace the background with one of your own. If that is the case, then all the answers given will not actually realistically help you, for example a jpg will not hold a transparent layer. So should you save it as so, no matter what you saved the ransparency layer colour too it will end up as white.
[gray]

I think you misunderstand me.

I simply want places I erase to not look checkerboard. I’m not replacing the entire background. I’m just erasing small parts.

The term "background color" has several meanings and can confuse folks.

The term "background" as I am using it is not the dominant color in my image that underlies my graphic elements. I mean the color of the background that is behind the image, that which shows through when I erase parts of my image. I want this to be opaque white, not checkerboard.

The instructions I posted by Jonz showed me how to change the transparent settings from checkerboard to opaque. But not how to choose transparent or not.

g.
B
Bigguy2010
Jun 27, 2011
On 27/06/2011 03:50, Gloria West wrote:

Thanks.
Make a new layer…
Flood fill it with your colour of choice…

Move the layer you are erasing so it is above the new coloured layer.

The coloured layer will now show throught the erased
(transparent/checker board) parts.

(You may have to convert background to a layer to move it).

G
V
Voivod
Jun 27, 2011
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:44:25 -0700, Gloria West
scribbled:

I think you’re an idiot.
U
Ulysses
Jun 27, 2011
"Gloria West" wrote in message

Thanks.
Problem solved
go to your toolbox. left click eraser tool. wait until options appear you will see 3 options
1 eraser tool
2 background eraser tool
3 magic eraser
then highlight eraser tool
have fun
V
Voivod
Jun 27, 2011
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:29:44 -0400, "Ulysses" scribbled:

Thanks.
Problem solved

Your mom’s looked into retroactive abortion?

go to your toolbox. left click eraser tool. wait until options appear you will see 3 options
1 eraser tool
2 background eraser tool
3 magic eraser
then highlight eraser tool
have fun

Drink bleach.
C
Carrie
Jun 27, 2011
In PS CS5,
[Jonz]

The Transparency Settings allow you to set the size & color of the checks, or
make the transparent color a solid (not checked) color. But the background is
still transparent.

I don’t see how to make it opaque (not transparent)…

I know, I haven’t figured out the erasers and what they do (totalally) either. I try the magic eraser and it wipes everything out in big chunks so I haven’t used it. I haven’t tried this yet (after reading your quesiton) but think if I wanted the background different and lighter I’d select it (like magic wand) and fade/change it that way (the selection) I’m sure the people here who know more about it can give better answers. I just noticed the question because it’s one I’ve had, too, but mainly in passing.

G.
C
Carrie
Jun 27, 2011
[gray]

I simply want places I erase to not look checkerboard. I’m not replacing the
entire background. I’m just erasing small parts.

The term "background color" has several meanings and can confuse folks.
The term "background" as I am using it is not the dominant color in my image
that underlies my graphic elements. I mean the color of the background that
is behind the image, that which shows through when I erase parts of my image.
I want this to be opaque white, not checkerboard.

The instructions I posted by Jonz showed me how to change the transparent settings from checkerboard to opaque. But not how to choose transparent or not.

g.

I understand what you’re saying but have the same question, myself.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections