R
Posted By
Rob
Feb 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
By default, my copy of Photoshop CS opens with Times New Roman PS MT selected as the font. When I use any other font, the program hangs and I have to force-quit it.

I’ve tried deleting the preferences file and re-installing the application but neither approach solved the problem.

I’m running XP SP2 on a new PC (two months old) and have not installed any additional fonts. In fact, this is a pretty lean machine – very few applications were loaded in the hope of avoiding exactly this kind of problem!

I’ve looked on various online forums but to no avail. Any advice or tips gratefully received!

Thanks,

Rob.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Marcel
Feb 28, 2005
I would uninstall SP2
I had all types of problems with it.
Marcel

"Rob" wrote in message
By default, my copy of Photoshop CS opens with Times New Roman PS MT selected as the font. When I use any other font, the program hangs and I have to force-quit it.

I’ve tried deleting the preferences file and re-installing the application but neither approach solved the problem.

I’m running XP SP2 on a new PC (two months old) and have not installed any additional fonts. In fact, this is a pretty lean machine – very few applications were loaded in the hope of avoiding exactly this kind of problem!

I’ve looked on various online forums but to no avail. Any advice or tips gratefully received!

Thanks,

Rob.
R
RSD99
Feb 28, 2005
Windows XP, and then the SP2 "upgrade," have caused many font related problems. You might try asking this question in a font-related group. While this specific problem has not been mentioned (to my knowledge), problems with Windows XP and the SP2 "Upgrade" have been frequent subjects in

news:alt.binaries.fonts

HTH

"Rob" wrote in message

Thanks,

Rob.
G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Mar 2, 2005
"Rob" wrote in message
: By default, my copy of Photoshop CS opens with Times New Roman PS MT : selected as the font. When I use any other font, the program hangs and : I have to force-quit it.
:
: I’ve tried deleting the preferences file and re-installing the : application but neither approach solved the problem.
:
: I’m running XP SP2 on a new PC (two months old) and have not installed : any additional fonts. In fact, this is a pretty lean machine – very : few applications were loaded in the hope of avoiding exactly this kind : of problem!
:
: I’ve looked on various online forums but to no avail. Any advice or : tips gratefully received!
:
: Thanks,
:
: Rob.

Maybe one or more of the fonts is incompatible with SP2
or maybe just corrupted coincidentally with the installation of SP2. I don’t doubt there is a problem with SP2 and fonts as other have posted, but haven’t experienced it myself.

It may be just one font that is causing a problem, especially if you have different kinds of fonts. I’d uninstall all of the fonts and reinstall two common fonts, like Times and Courier and see if switching fonts causes a problem.

If there isn’t a problem then install half the fonts and see if you have a prob, then the other half and when you get a
problem isolate the group of fonts that has the incompatible font…. well you know what I’m saying. I’ve had to do this a few time over the years. Good luck : -)
R
Rob
Mar 2, 2005
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:51:56 -0800, "cat herder" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
: By default, my copy of Photoshop CS opens with Times New Roman PS MT : selected as the font. When I use any other font, the program hangs and : I have to force-quit it.
:
: I’ve tried deleting the preferences file and re-installing the : application but neither approach solved the problem.
:
: I’m running XP SP2 on a new PC (two months old) and have not installed : any additional fonts. In fact, this is a pretty lean machine – very : few applications were loaded in the hope of avoiding exactly this kind : of problem!
:
: I’ve looked on various online forums but to no avail. Any advice or : tips gratefully received!
:
: Thanks,
:
: Rob.

Maybe one or more of the fonts is incompatible with SP2
or maybe just corrupted coincidentally with the installation of SP2. I don’t doubt there is a problem with SP2 and fonts as other have posted, but haven’t experienced it myself.
It may be just one font that is causing a problem, especially if you have different kinds of fonts. I’d uninstall all of the fonts and reinstall two common fonts, like Times and Courier and see if switching fonts causes a problem.

If there isn’t a problem then install half the fonts and see if you have a prob, then the other half and when you get a
problem isolate the group of fonts that has the incompatible font…. well you know what I’m saying. I’ve had to do this a few time over the years. Good luck : -)

Thanks, that sounds pretty sensible advice and I’ll give it a go! Actually, my thanks to everyone who responded. This new PC of mine had SP2 pre-installed so I (rather naively) didn’t expect it to cause any problems!

Cheers,

Rob.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections