JS
Posted By
Jon_Sobels-Craven
Jul 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are running CS3 on intel Macs (10.5.4) If you open a file saved by this on a G5 (10.4.11) using CS3 Extended, the font size is now incorrect. eg Arial 12pt in CS3 opens as Arial 12.04pt in extended.
Both CS3 and CS3 extended are 10.0.1
Has anyone else seen this if so how is it prevented.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 21, 2008
the application CS3 and CS3 extended are the same application. the only difference is the serial number.

I would be more inclined to believe the differences are the OS and or the hardware.
T
TrialAndError
Jul 23, 2008
As far as I know Extended offers several more functions than CS3 and so is a different application. Or is it only addional plug ins ?

please see:
<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/>

because of the font issue:

Which filetype do you use, PSD ?
are you saving to a network drive ? if so, please save to an internal HD, then transfer files manully (over the file explorer) to its final place (so, no direct saving to network drives).

Could you check if its actually bigger really ? Maybe its just a display thing, I mean, maybe PS CS3 inernaly has it stored as 12.04 but just shows in the dialog "12". Maybe extended is more exact in that point. So Effictively maybe both are same size actually ?
JS
Jon_Sobels-Craven
Jul 23, 2008
We are using .psd files. The file is on a Network drive. We can open the file with multiple Macs using CS3 correctly. When opened on Extended the font size is wrong. It was noticed when it was published (apparently) it was then noted that the font is .04 pts bigger in Extended.
I think they are basically the same program as there is only one updater. I think I will try to find a CS3 machine running on 10.4.x to see if it OS related next.
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2008
the application CS3 and CS3 extended are the same application. the only difference is the serial number. the extended serial unlocks the extra features.
T
TrialAndError
Jul 24, 2008
@Buko, thx for the info, thats the kidn of hints i am always looking for here 🙂

@Jon

Do you think it might help to check what happens, if you save the file with the bigger font in PS EXT and then open it up again back in PS CS3 ? Is the font then still bigger ?

Have you PSD orgianlly been created on a 10.5.3 ? I ask because there were some know issues with saving PSD to 10.5.4 and PSD file saving to network (which had been then resolved in 10.5.4).
T
TrialAndError
Jul 24, 2008
oops, type mistake:

meant "know issues with saving PSD to 10.5.3" (three!)

sry
JS
Jon_Sobels-Craven
Jul 28, 2008
These issues are between Intel 10.5.4 CS3 and G5 10.4.11 CS3 Extended
JP
jean_p
Jul 28, 2008
Do you by any chance have Photoshop set to use traditional measure points on one machine, but Postscript measure points on the other?

Check your Units Preferences.
JS
Jon_Sobels-Craven
Jul 29, 2008
Jean P you are a LEGEND
That was it, the CS3 Extended machine was set to traditional not postscript. Thanks heaps

Thank you all

Best Regards

Jon…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections