why is it automatically optimizing my images?

MM
Posted By
Mac McDougald
Jul 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What do you mean by "optimized"?
Any GIF save involves certain options regarding indexed color mode.

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 20, 2003
How do you know they are being optimized? One doesn’t seem related to the other.
DJ
Dena Joan
Jul 20, 2003
I know they are being optimized because it looks different. It changes the quality of the picture.
T
TB
Jul 20, 2003
Sorry if this sounds a bit silly… but are you saving the files as PSD, Photoshop, files? or saving them right off as gifs? If you do the former, all your work is there with no optimization. If you do the latter, you’ll get optimization no matter what.

TB

"Dena Joan" wrote in
news::

I have PhotoShop version 6.0 & recentrly I downloaded another program & all my .gif files started opening in that program. So I deleted it. Now I set up my folder properties so that the .gif files open in Photoshop again, which is great. But ever since all this happened, when I save my .gif files they are being automatically optimized! I do not want them to be optimized, I am saving them as the originals not as the optimized versions but yet when I go to upload or open these files they are optimized. Can anyone help me make this stop? If so, please e-mail me at or post a reply, I will
try & figure out how to view my replies here. Thank you so much for your time!
DM
dave milbut
Jul 20, 2003
are you viewing them from within aol or IE with the compress images option turned on in the prefrences?
DJ
dennis johnson
Jul 20, 2003
If you open a GIF file in Photoshop, and make no changes to it, why then are you "saving" the GIF file? All you need to do is close the file, not save it.

If you choose to "save" the file, Photoshop will of course show you file saving options, but it will not "automatically" change the properties of a GIF – and it will certainly not "optimize" it automatically, whatever that means.

Something here doesn’t make sense.

Can you explain, step by step, what you are doing, and what options you are selecting in Photoshop?

Dave makes a good point – if you are viewing your images in the AOL browser, that may be the source of the problem. In AOL preferences, choose the WWW tab and find the option that allows you to select or deselect "optimize web graphics". Un-check the option. (It’s turned on by default by AOL.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections