Help! I want to automate over 100 images to LOWER THE IMAGE QUALITY but it doesnt allow me

S
Posted By
siddodson
Apr 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I wanted to make a few BMP files into LOW LOW quality JPEGS so I can use it in my flash animation Im currently making.

however, everytime I "record" the action of "saving as a low quality jpeg" it’ll obviously only try to save the "sample" of the low quality jpeg that I actually recorded.

in other words, when recording the ‘process of saving in lesser quality’, that action is SPECIFIC to the JPEG, and therefore can’t be applied to the 100 other image files I want to decrease in size and Quality.

how can I make a 100 file sinto lesser quality? or am I doomed to "save as" everything and manually make a 100~200 images in low quality…..? Any help will be really appreciate as it would save me a lot of work (and its not like animation gets any easier even without the worry of a 100 images!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 5, 2004
Don’t open a file as part of the action. Just record the Save as JPEG bit on any file and then use Automate – Batch on a folder with the files you want to change.
S
siddodson
Apr 5, 2004
actually I dont use the "open" as part of the action, just the save as.

say if I "save as test.jpg" (low quality jpeg named TEST.JPG) then every image that comes after that has a warning that says "TEST.JPG already exists! replace or cancel?
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 5, 2004
It’s because you are changing the file name. If you just save as jpeg it will work.
S
siddodson
Apr 5, 2004
ok, i’ll try it out.
thanks for the kind replies, this has been on my head for quite some time actually. I’ll tell you how it goes (hopefully well!)
L
LenHewitt
Apr 6, 2004
Siddson,

If you use Save for Web in your action, the quality setting will stick, (but so will the destination folder regardless of any override you select in Batch)
GG
gary_ghertner
Apr 6, 2004
If you are using Photoshop CS, take a look at ‘Dr Brown’s Image Processor’ script available from Adobe exchange. No muss, no fuss mass changes without requiring the use of actions.

It can resize, apply color corrections en masse and make a JPG,TIF & PSD file from selected images.

< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=84 29&back=http%3A%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBr owseSubmit%2Easp%3Ft%3D74>

PS I don’t think he’s a real doctor.
S
siddodson
Apr 6, 2004
Im using adobe photoshop 7 🙂 can I still use that Dr guide?
L
LenHewitt
Apr 6, 2004
Gary,

I don’t think he’s a real doctor.<<

He is, but not a dr. of medicine!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections