Automatically aligning a series of almost-identical images??

T
Posted By
TerryKing
Aug 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am doing one of those ‘same shot taken many times over a year’ things with a view of our school here in China. I recently moved here and am living in a high-rise (A LONG way from rural Vermont!). We can see the school building across the Skekou harbor, with a huge construction site next to us. Over the next year I expect a building will rise and eventually block out view of the school. I am taking a series of shots from the same location, widest zoom, careful alignment.

An example frame:
http://www.terryking.us/photoalbum/main.php?g2_itemId=2856

BUT of course the frames are not perfectly aligned, and a quick-cut slide show is jerky.

I wish I could use some automatic alignment, similar to the Photomerge stuff in making Panos. I’d need to pick one ‘master’ image and have all the rest cropped and realigned.

Anyone seen an automated way to do this? Any suggestions on semi- automation using PhotoShop CS2 etc?

Somebody else must be doing this, but some searching didn’t find it…

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LL
Lewis Lorton
Sep 5, 2007
wrote:
I am doing one of those ‘same shot taken many times over a year’ things with a view of our school here in China. I recently moved here and am living in a high-rise (A LONG way from rural Vermont!). We can see the school building across the Skekou harbor, with a huge construction site next to us. Over the next year I expect a building will rise and eventually block out view of the school. I am taking a series of shots from the same location, widest zoom, careful alignment.

An example frame:
http://www.terryking.us/photoalbum/main.php?g2_itemId=2856
BUT of course the frames are not perfectly aligned, and a quick-cut slide show is jerky.

I wish I could use some automatic alignment, similar to the Photomerge stuff in making Panos. I’d need to pick one ‘master’ image and have all the rest cropped and realigned.

Anyone seen an automated way to do this? Any suggestions on semi- automation using PhotoShop CS2 etc?

Somebody else must be doing this, but some searching didn’t find it…
Thanks!
If there are not too many shots, you could copy one as a new layer, reduce opacity and move it into best alignment then increase opacity to 100 and repeat.

This could be done as you gather the images and thus minimize work.
T
TerryKing
Sep 5, 2007
On Sep 5, 8:57 am, Lewis Lorton wrote:
If there are not too many shots, you could copy one as a new layer, reduce opacity and move it into best alignment then increase opacity to 100 and repeat.
…snip…

Lewis, thanks.. This is a good way to do it manually… I will give it try.. No other solutions seem to have popped up…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections