PC
Posted By
Paul_Costa
Nov 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to learn Photoshop 7.0. I am using "Adobe Photoshop 7.0 – Classroom in a Book" as my learning tool. I have read and followed the steps in "Lesson 12 – Creating Special Effects". I have executed the steps on pages 356 through 363 a dozen times and still the images are not coming out the EXACT SAME SIZE. The steps under "Playing an action on an individual file" on page 362 do not result in the Sand.jpg file being the same size as the Dandelion.jpg file. The steps under "Batch-playing an action" on page 363 do not result in the Pears.jpg & Leaves.jpg files being the exact same size as the Dandelion.jpg file.

Either I am doing something wrong, or the book is wrong. I have started Lesson 12 over from scratch many times, restoring preferences (as described on page 6) each time. I get the same results — the files not being the same exact size as the Dandelion.jpg file.

Please ——— CAN SOMEONE HELP ME HERE ———- Thanks, Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
d._wade_thompson
Nov 15, 2003
Paul,
for those of us who do not have that book, it would help if you would describe what steps you are taking to try and help you. if you could let us know those steps, and what size the files are to start with we might be able to help.

wade
HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 15, 2003
When you say Size, do you mean File Size? Or X and Y dimensions?
PC
Paul_Costa
Nov 16, 2003
I am sorry gentlemen, with my 30 years plus experience as a Mainframe Systems Programmer I should have known you would need more information, so here it is:

I Opened PICTURE1.jpg, PICTURE2.jpg, and PICTURE3.jpg I right-clicked on the Title Bar of the window Picture3.jpg was displayed in, then clicked Image Size… The IMAGE SIZE window came up.

I did the above for all 3 .jpg’s.

Picture3.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 200K
Width: 202 Pixels
Height: 338 Pixels
Document Size:
Width: 2.806 Inches
Height: 4.694 Inches
Resolution: 72 Pixels/Inch
Constrain Proportions is CHECKED
Resample Image is CHECKED and in BICUBIC

Picture2.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 130K
Height: 220 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 3.056 Inches

Picture1.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 172K
Width: 280 Pixels
Height: 210 Pixels
Document Size:
Width: 3.889 Inches
Height: 2.917 Inches

Then I did the following steps while Picture1.jpg was the Active File:

1. Brought up the ACTIONS Palette (clicked WINDOW>ACTIONS)
2. Clicked the CREATE NEW SET button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette.
3. I left the NAME as SET 1, and clicked OK.
4. Clicked the CREATE NEW ACTION button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette.
5. I Left the NAME as ACTION 1, the SET as SET 1, the FUNCTION KEY as NONE, and the COLOR as NONE, then I ckicked RECORD.
6. I then clicked IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE (Picture1.jpg was still the Active File) from the top of Photoshops window. It shows the exact same values for Picture1.jpg as I listed above.
7. Then I changed the WIDTH under Pixel Dimensions to 200, at which point Pixel Dimension’s HEIGHT automatically changed to 150 Pixels, Document Size’s WIDTH & Height automatically changed to 2.778 & 2.083 Inches, respectively. All else remained the same as I listed above.
8. Then I clicked OK. Picture1.jpg was resized. Then I called up the Image Size of Picture1.jpg just to confirm that the values still were the same as in step 7, there were.
9. I then clicked the STOP PLAYING/RECORDING button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette. 10. I then CLOSED Picture1.jpg.
11. I then clicked FILE>AUTOMATE>BATCH from the top of Photoshops window. 12. I left SET as Set 1, ACTION as Action 1 under the Play section. I set SOURCE to OPEN FILES (Picture2 & Picture3 jpg’s were still Open). I left DESTINATION as NONE. I ckicked OK.
13. Picture2 and Picture3 were both resized, but each had different sizes from their original sizes. Each had different sizes than Picture1.jpg.

Picture2.jpg new Image Size values:

Pixel Demensions: 128K
Width: 200 Pixels
Height: 218 Pixels
Document Size:
Width: 2.778 Inches
Height: 3.028 Inches

Picture3.jpg new Image Size values:

Pixel Demensions: 196K
Height: 335 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 4.653 Inches

They both should have ended up with the EXACT SAME Image Size values as those for Picture1.jpg, RIGHT? Or WRONG?

Please try to help me out, as this is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks, Paul.
MH
Mark_Hiers
Nov 16, 2003
Picture2 and Picture3 were both resized, but each had different sizes from their original sizes. Each had different sizes than Picture1.jpg.

But they both ended up with a width of 200px, just like you specified in the action. The height are different because the height of the originals are different
PC
Paul_Costa
Nov 17, 2003
I Opened PICTURE1.jpg, PICTURE2.jpg, and PICTURE3.jpg I right-clicked on the Title Bar of the window Picture3.jpg was displayed in, then clicked Image Size… The IMAGE SIZE window came up.

I did the above for all 3 .jpg’s.

Picture3.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 200K
Height: 338 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 4.694 Inches

Picture2.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 130K
Height: 220 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 3.056 Inches

Picture1.jpg has the following IMAGE SIZE values:

Pixel Demensions: 172K
Width: 280 Pixels
Height: 210 Pixels
Document Size:
Width: 3.889 Inches
Height: 2.917 Inches

Then I did the following steps while Picture1.jpg was the Active File:

1. Brought up the ACTIONS Palette (clicked WINDOW>ACTIONS)
2. Clicked the CREATE NEW SET button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette.
3. I left the NAME as SET 1, and clicked OK.
4. Clicked the CREATE NEW ACTION button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette.
5. I Left the NAME as ACTION 1, the SET as SET 1, the FUNCTION KEY as NONE, and the COLOR as NONE, then I ckicked RECORD.
6. I then clicked IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE (Picture1.jpg was still the Active File) from the top of Photoshops window. It shows the exact same values for Picture1.jpg as I listed above.
7. Then I changed the WIDTH under Pixel Dimensions to 200, at which point Pixel Dimension’s HEIGHT automatically changed to 150 Pixels, Document Size’s WIDTH & Height automatically changed to 2.778 & 2.083 Inches, respectively. All else remained the same as I listed above.
8. Then I clicked OK. Picture1.jpg was resized. Then I called up the Image Size of Picture1.jpg just to confirm that the values still were the same as in step 7, there were.
9. I then clicked the STOP PLAYING/RECORDING button at the bottom of the ACTIONS palette. 10. I then CLOSED Picture1.jpg.
11. I then clicked FILE>AUTOMATE>BATCH from the top of Photoshops window. 12. I left SET as Set 1, ACTION as Action 1 under the Play section. I set SOURCE to OPEN FILES (Picture2 & Picture3 jpg’s were still Open). I left DESTINATION as NONE. I ckicked OK.
13. Picture2 and Picture3 were both resized, but each had different sizes from their original sizes. Each had different sizes than Picture1.jpg.

Picture2.jpg new Image Size values:

Pixel Demensions: 128K
Height: 218 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 3.028 Inches

Picture3.jpg new Image Size values:

Pixel Demensions: 196K
Height: 335 Pixels
Document Size:
Height: 4.653 Inches

They both should have ended up with the EXACT SAME Image Size values as those for Picture1.jpg, RIGHT? Or WRONG?

Please try to help me out, as this is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks, Paul.
KV
Klaas_Visser
Nov 18, 2003
All your original images are of different sizes (202 by 338, 202 by 220, and 280 by 210). Because you have Constrain Proportions checked, the horizontal by vertical ratio of each picture will be maintained. The only way to get different sized originals to the same size, is to uncheck Contrain Proportions, and lize with the subsequent distortions.
D
d._wade_thompson
Nov 19, 2003
Paul,

what mark and klaas both said is correct. i checked out the classroom in a book, and one of the first steps is to crop all the images to a square. then when you chage the dimensions of one side all the sides will be that same dimensions. as you are doing it now it is cahnging the width as you have recorded in your action and constraining the proportion to the height.

wade

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections