M
Posted By
Maryo
Dec 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for a way to automatize a very timewasting manual operation.

I’ve a set of 16 8192x4096px seamless images that I need to convert into a single layer 32768x16384px image.

To do this, I need to load each file and drag it in the large image (with the grid + snap help and the flatten it.

Easy operation, but very timewasting due heavy disk swap.

There is some way to automatize the entire image stitching process ?

Thanks for any help

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Dec 14, 2003
Maryo,

Unless you are using Photoshop CS, you won’t be able to create an image that large.

Previous vesrions have a pixel limit of 30,000 in either direction and a maximum file size of 2 gig.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 14, 2003
Greetings Maryo:

Depending on your requirements, I believe this could be automated using one or more actions (as long as we can get past the limitations Len noted).

If my math is correct it looks like the final image size (flattened) would be about 537 million pixels, which is under the 2gb threshold.

Although the total time to process each section x 16 sections would still be lengthy, at least it would be "hands off" = you could be doing something else (but not in Phothshop) while the computer chugs along opening and placing tiles.

Send e-mail to dannyraphael at yahoo dot com and we’ll take this offline for the time being. If we’re ultimately successful (or not), I’ll post a summary of the results when we’ve got this wrapped up.

Just to confirm…
* You’re doing this process successfully now, correct?
* Which version of Phothshop are you using?
* The tiles are arranged 8-across and 2-down (or vice versa)?

~Danny~
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 14, 2003
Umm… My question is … do you need an image that large? What is the final output going to be. I’ve heard of people wanting to have an image that size to start, but then they slice it up for output. I can’t imagine a device that can handle the output of such a file.
M
Maryo
Dec 14, 2003
Thank all for the reply, I add some more detail to help everyone want help me.

I’m using CS (the new .psb file format is one of the feature I like most).

I mainly work with very large size spatial imagery/planeraty maps, this is the reason of the very large size (usually 32K)images.

I’ve a set of tileable seamless image that I need to assembly into a unique 32x16K image. The tile are organized as follow

line0, column0
line0, column1
line0, column2
line0, column3

etc etc until the last tile…

line3,column3

Today I’ve made the following.
– Made a 32x16K empty image]
– Start recording an action
– Load the first tile
– Select all, then copy in the clipboard
– Close the Tile image
– Paste the clipboard into the big empty image
– Positioning the tile in the right place

The above procedure was repeated for all the remaining 15 tiles and end with a flatten layers.

I’ve then stopped and saved the action.

It work, probably is not optimized, but it work and help me saving precious time and avoid repetitive frustrating task (and errors).

The only thing I need to rework is the capability to load different filenames… Actually it try to load the same filename in the same folder as the first time.

Any way to further optimize it and have the possibility to load different images set ?

Greetings
DR
Danny_Raphael
Dec 14, 2003
Based on your further description, I have tested an action and outlined a method that would enable you to fully automate the process (hands off) AND allow you to use different files each time w/o modifying the action.

There is some one time setup work, but when it’s finished, you will be able to work more productively.

Are the file names the same for each set of tiles, for example:

tile 0,0.psd
tile 0,1.psd
etc.?

See above for my e-mail address.

Danny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections