NG
Posted By
Nivair_Gabriel
Dec 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with Adobe Photoshop CS2 on Mac OS 10.3.9 with 1 GB of RAM (a PowerBook G4). I’ve had this program for over a year and never experienced a problem like this before.

Yesterday I started to make small 100×100 images out of photos I had, only to find that instead of about 40K like I expected, these image file sizes (when I saved them as .JPGs or .PNGs) were 80K or 100K on disk! I tried playing with the .JPG compression options, but while that brought it down somewhat, it didn’t take it to 40K like I expected. I even opened a simple 100×100 square with Photoshop’s default settings (resolution 2 pixels/inch, RGB 8-bit) and colored it black. Though Photoshop reported on save that it was only 29.3K, the image appeared on my computer as a 50K .JPG. What is going on here? Why is the file size showing up so inflated, and what prompted this?

Thanks very much for your help. Let me know if you need any other information.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 28, 2006
How did you save? For smaller sizes use Save for Web.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 28, 2006
There’s few things to look out for.

Saving image previews, metadata, and ICC profiles will make images larger on disk. You can set you file handling preferences to never save previews. You can save without embedding the color profile. Or, since you’re using jpegs, save though Save for Web which excludes previews and metadata and the ICC profile option is off by default.

Another issue is that the final size of jpegs depends on the content of the image. A flat color will compress smaller than a busy image.

Carl.
B
Bernie
Dec 28, 2006
Also, look at the file->info box for the accurate file size (in bytes).

Finder windows only report filesize in block increments.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections