MM
Posted By
matthew_mcdonald
Feb 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’m trying to add text to a photo and all i get is a small dot when i click on it with the text tool, no blinking cursor. when i try to type nothing happens.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 27, 2004
What’s the resolution of your file (ppi)? What is the point size of the type you’re inputting?

Chances are you’re working on an image with a very high ppi and/or a small type size.
PS
Phil_Schirmer
Feb 28, 2004
I think Scott’s advice is on the mark. My problem is, when I try to make changes to the text, I get artifacts left behind (pieces of the letters) which only go away if I change view (i.e. zoom in or out). It’s a pain in the youknowwhat.
Any suggestions?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 28, 2004
I think it’s because you are working with a very LOW resolution. Try between 300-600 ppi.
JW
Jim_Warthman
Feb 29, 2004
I just want to add that this thread was very helpful for me. I recently upgraded from PS 7 to PS CS, and my action to place a copyright notice on my images has consistently failed – the text seemed to be "invisible". I’ve spent a fair amount of time trying various things – all to no avail. Turned out that the image resolution was inconsistent with the font size.

Heaven knows how long it would’ve taken me to figure this out on my own. I’m thankful that we have such a great community here!

Best Regards,

Jim
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Try specifying your type in points rather than pixels. That way, regardless of ppi (pixel per inch resolution), your type will be a consistent size. Try 10 or 12 point in a clean sans serif for starters.

Neil
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 1, 2004
Neil,

If you have a very low resolution, the type will be tiny or not display at all, even if it’s specified in points. Try it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Just did, Ed.

I typed some Verdana at 6, 8, and 12 point on a 72 ppi document and on a 36 ppi document. The type is there at 100%, 50%, and at 25%, as both live (vector) type, and as pixels. But, readability is, well, something else.

But I was wrong in that the apparent screen size of the type is dependent upon image resolution at 100%

Neil
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 1, 2004
The problem that I’ve seen from several posters here is that they take a file, usually from a disk or something and try to add type, not realizing that the resolution is coming in at 1 pp1. At that resolution of course the type size can be below one pixel so it doesn’t display or is super tiny until you get way up there around 1000 points.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections