G
Posted By
garystanley
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason my photoshop Cs, doesnt not let me use a carriage return in a text box. ie. I cant type a line of text and then hit enter, to make it go to the next line. I cant find anything that has caused this or anything to make it do this.

any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
glen_deman
Aug 11, 2004
I don’t have PSCS, but in PS7 it will end the text tool if you hit the enter key on the numeric key pad, but will do a carriage return if you hit the enter key next to the " key.
G
garystanley
Aug 11, 2004
Thanks for your reply, but that is not the problem.

either return key simply closes the text box.

dont know if this is a bug or something I have changed by mistake.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 11, 2004
"Shift + Enter" gives a line break.

Cheers – John
L
LenHewitt
Aug 11, 2004
Gary,

It should be working as Glen indicated.

Have you tried deleting your preference file? Details in the FAQ at the top of this forum’s Topic List
B
BobLevine
Aug 11, 2004
What happens when you do hit enter? Have you created a text box by dragging with the text tool before typing or just a simple click and type?

And what is your leading set to?

Bob
G
garystanley
Aug 11, 2004
OK… Johns’ suggestion did the trick.

I had tried as many key comboes as I could think of.

This has fixed the problem and I tried to repeat the problem to see what the cause was but im damned if i can figure out what I did.
It was fine before, but the only thing I can think of is creating some text along a path and the next time i used PS it was this way.

In either case. Thanks tons… saves me a lot of trouble.
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 11, 2004
The problem with John’s suggestion is that it makes a newline, not a new paragraph. If you try things with the paragraph palette, they might not work correctly.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 12, 2004
The problem with John’s suggestion is that it makes a newline, not a new paragraph

True, but in fact most times a new line is all that is required.

We were taught that, unless you specifically want a new para, it’s best to use Shift + Enter. It can avoid unexpected behaviour when pasting from one application to another.

Cheers – John
H
helispot99
Feb 13, 2005
wrote:
For some reason my photoshop Cs, doesnt not let me use a carriage
return in a text box. ie. I cant type a line of text and then hit enter, to make it go to the next line. I cant find anything that has caused this or anything to make it do this.
any suggestions?

Ok, found it…

– hit the icon for "Toggle the Character and Paragraph palettes"

– select the "character" tab

– set the leading to "auto"

Otherwise, it sets the leader to a really small amount and all the characters end up showing over each other.

See ya!

AC

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections