JM
Posted By
James_McCormick
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
These files (there are two of them created when I start photoshop cs) make my computer run very slow. Not just photoshop, but the entire computer. It drives me crazy so I toss them. The problem is that without them running, photoshop will close itself down after a period of time, tell my that the license activation is missing. The files must be associated with the license, but why in the world does it make photoshop run so slow? A friend of mine told me that he has stopped using cs, and gone back to ps 7 due to the same issue.
Any help would be appreciate. This is obviously a flaw. Try throwing out the same files (ctrl+alt+del) and see how much faster it runs.
James

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
Those are part of the activation, and should not be messed with. Also, they shouldn’t slow down anything – they run quickly and then do essentially nothing.

It sounds like you have something wrong with your system, or some other software causing conflicts.
JM
James_McCormick
Aug 6, 2004
Those are the only files that cause this to happen. If I don’t discard them, I would never get any work done. As soon as they are discarded, the entire machine goes back to normal speed. My computer is a P4 2.8 with an Intel board running in hyper-threading mode with an 800mhz fsb and 2 gigs of certified 3300 ddr ram. I don’t have any other issues with the machine.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
The files don’t cause anything to happen.
And discarding them WILL prevent you from getting work done because Photoshop will exit.

You need to figure out what is really causing the slowdown on your computer. Right now you’re fighting with a red herring.
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Aug 7, 2004
Hi James,

Those are the files which crashed PSCS on my system. Something in my computer didn’t agree with them, and I never found out exactly what it was. Most people have had no problem with them, but they are the same activation files as are included in some other software as well, and quite a few people who used those other programs had the same problems as I did.
(So far, I seem to be the only person in the world who had the problem with Photoshop CS).

My problems sounded different than yours, and were identical to what some people were experiencing with other programs, with the programs refusing to run at all. (Same error messages as I got).

There were companies which managed to correct the problem, but since I didn’t have any of those programs, I never found out what the solution was. I merely found out about it by doing extensive searches on those files.

Anyway, it isn’t a Photoshop CS bug, it’s something in the Macrovision code, and since it isn’t unknown as causing problems with other software that uses the same activation files, I am quite upset about the fact Macrovision provides no support to people who have difficulty with that file. If they are going to peddle it to good software companies like Adobe, then they should find out what the problem is with certain computers and fix it.

I keep wondering what will happen if someone has two or more programs on their machines that use the same files for activation. Aren’t these going to start conflicting at some point? The ~e5d141.tmp files all go into the same places as far as I could find out, no matter which program you are running. How do the different programs know which file is their’s and which belongs to another program, especially if you happen to be using more than one of those programs at the same time???

(I don’t know a lot about computers, so I may be way off base on that one, but I keep wondering about it).

Kathi
J
jason
Aug 7, 2004
I find that sometimes I can’t even run two Adobe applications together when Photoshop is running.

I used to be able to run Photoshop 7, Indesign 2, Illustrator 10, AND have Acrobat 6 running all on the same machine.

Now, I run out of resources if I have 3 Adobe apps open.

I’m not complaining though. Just pointing out, it’s a little annoying, and a bit silly, considering it’s the Creative Suite which was supposed to improve workflow between the applications.

I mention this here, because I had several problems with the activation getting ‘lost’ several times (including one time when Adobe UK’s activation telephone line was closed, resulting in my having to call Adobe US to get it re-activated!).

I also find that having Macromedia Dreamweaver 2004 MX open at the same time as Photoshop causing MANY display problems, and slows the system down to a crawl. Both products use the Macrovision (safecast?) protection.

J.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Jason – on Win2K and WinXP, there are no resource limits.

And unless you’ve got a TINY amount of RAM and a really TINY OS paging file, you should be able to open all of those apps at one time.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
Hello,What are the two activation files?
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
Hello, What are the two activation files stored on the computer: I Know ~e5d141.tmp is one of them, how do I Find them,I Think it is hidden
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
It is hidden. There is no reason for you to ever see or touch that file.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
Hello,The reason I Need to know is for backup perposes incase I Need to do a install, how do I Find the ~e5d141.tmp file and what is the name of the second file please
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
You don’t back it up – it’s created on the fly.

All the files you need to backup are visible and obvious.

But if you want to restore and not reactivate, you also have to backup the boot disk boot sectors.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
Hello, Thank You for your prompt reply, I’ll explain what I Want to do, I Use A Restore Program for imaging, sometimes It does not restore the two activation files properly so I Am asked to activate photoshop cs even though it has already been activated but when I Try to activate, I Am denied because I Have already activated the allowed amount of times, So I Have found a way around this, By copying the two activation files on disk and when I Do a system restore, I Copy these 2 files to there original location and when I Start photoshop cs, a dialog comes up this time but for reactivation which I Have no problem getting it re-activated, so this is why I Need the 2 files to copy, I Only need the name of the second file so if you could tell me the name of the other file?
J
jason
Aug 10, 2004
How often do you really need to restore??

Adobe won’t have any problem activating via telephone if you have a legitimate reason for it. You’re on a wild goose chase if you think they’re going to give you information to bypass activation.

J.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Again, there is no need to backup or restore those files.

The only invisible thing you need to backup and restore is the boot sectors.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
thank you for the answer, but all i need is the name of the second file, i had it in the past to do a restore and worked fine, plus I Do not know how to backup and restore the boot sectors so the second file that I Do not have the name of will work fine if you can tell me the name
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Somthing’s wrong here, I think.

You’re saying that when you do a system restore, via whatever means, that you get a prompt for activation, and when you connect to the internet you are denied activation? Further, are you calling tech support on this – they will grant your activation if this is the case.

Or is it more that you’re looking for a way to avoid having to connect to the internet for activation verification or otherwise contact Adobe?
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Actually, if he restores the boot sectors he probably won’t even have to reactivate.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
how do you make a backup of the boot sectors?
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
That depends on the software you are using to make the backup. It should be in the help or instruction manual.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Thanks Chris, I thought that I had read that in the past when CS first came out.
J
jason
Aug 10, 2004
and ‘off the record’… I wouldn’t advise restoring boot sectors to the drive of another machine……

Regards,

J.
J
jbmoar
Aug 10, 2004
It is the same machine that I Want to make a backup for the boot sectors.. can you tell me how to make a backup of the boot sectors for windows xp – home or what are the 2 activation file names for adobe photoshop cs .. both options will do
J
jason
Aug 10, 2004
Norton Ghost.

That’s pretty much all you need, and it only costs around $50 (or around £30-£50 in the UK.

J.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
You know, I get the impression that he isn’t reading what I write….
J
jason
Aug 10, 2004
It’s probably a satellite delay Chris.

J.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
<nodding>.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Aug 10, 2004
jbmoar,

There aren’t any specific activation filenames for anyone to give to you – if you want to be able to restore without re-activating, you need to image/restore your boot sector as well as the drive.

Each imaging application does it (images/restores the boot sector) differently, not all support it. You’ll need to refer to your software’s user docs or online help to determine if this functionality is avaialble, and how to use it.

–Stephanie
W
wdpeck
Aug 14, 2004
<<(So far, I seem to be the only person in the world who had the problem with Photoshop CS).>>

You’re not alone now — congratulations. 😉 All of a sudden last night both the laptop and desktop started having problems with the ~e5d141.tmp file. I consulted the support site, and then walked through all the scripted "solutions" with a couple of Adobe tech reps (no, it’s not installed on a RAID array; no, the disk doesn’t need to be de-fragged; and so on), but still no fix.

Per one of the techies, the ~e5d file is created on the fly, actually runs as a process (you can see it in Windows task manager), and cleans up several other temp files the activation routine creates when PSCS starts up. Both machines began having problems within a couple hours, and I’m positive there’s no simulatneous hardware failure, no virus, etc. Almost like the activation routine "phoned home," got some bad data of some sort, and started crashing the application at startup.

But, of course, this had to happen very early Friday morning, so nobody will be working on it over the weekend. Ahhh, lost productivity . . .
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 14, 2004
What problems?

No, the activation routines do not "phone home" unless it prompts you for a reactivation.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 14, 2004
Chris,

Take a day off will ya? It’s Saturday for crissake.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 15, 2004
It’s Saturday

Is it?

Darn! it is!!!

That’s why the office was so deserted!

Rob
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 15, 2004
That’s why the office was so deserted!

Not my office. Damn slave driver my boss is… (Mrs. YrbkMgr)
W
wdpeck
Aug 15, 2004
<<< What problems?

No, the activation routines do not "phone home" unless it prompts you for a reactivation. >>>

That would be the problem of the "~e5d141.tmp" pop-up window, followed by the "you must reinstall the application" pop-up window, after which the app closes. Reinstallation and reactivation does not fix it. Both installations were uneventful, and both machines activated and ran the app just fine. The laptop had the app installed about two weeks after the desktop, so it couldn’t be that the activation routine "forgot" it had activated, ran the app the 30-day grace period, and then stopped running, because I had used the app on both machines the day before, but they both stopped working the same day (i.e., the laptop should’ve worked another two weeks if it thought it was running unactivated in the grace period).

I’m speculating that some outside cause is responsible for this, because I find it extremely hard to believe that two independent systems would run the app successfully for weeks, but then both experience internal issues, hardware or software, causing the identical problem on both machines, within an hour of each other. And because the two machines don’t fall into any of the "suspect" categories listed on the activation support communication on the support site. And because the tech support rep said so. 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 15, 2004
my biggest problem with activation is if they don’t "call home" then WHY THE HECK DO YOU NEED TO LEAVE 3 (THREE!!!) PROCESSES HANGING AROUND OPEN AND SNOOPING AROUND MY SYSTEM!!!

It should be a simple thing that runs when PS opens, does it’s checks then EXITS! GOODBYE!

<harumph!>
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 15, 2004
<golf clap>

Agreed.
DN
DS_Nelson
Aug 16, 2004
I don’t see no golfers around here.

<Winter Olympic downhill race cheering, complete with clanging cowbells>
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
These tmp files don’t bother me as much as the randomly named services that the activation apparently creates. If I run services.msc (especially when PS is running) I see stuff like
‘Pupsysarim’ ‘Tlnom0t’ and ‘Ahaaapumic’. Weird services right?

I figured early-on these are from PS because if I disable them I have to reactivate. When I do; more gibberish services are created. This wouldn’t be so bad if the old ones went away. These services are configured to log on with a special account. I now have 6 of these (3 I disabled). When I get up my nerve I will delete them from the registry.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
I see stuff like ‘Pupsysarim’ ‘Tlnom0t’ and ‘Ahaaapumic’. Weird services right?

sounds like viruses or trojans to me. i’ve never seen services like that and they have a hack0Rz look to them…
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
google shows no record of them…
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
I am reasonably certain my system is clean. (I’m behind hardware and software firewalls and am always running NAV, AA, SBot, and BHO Daemon) On my other computer when PS starts a similar gibberish service is created, but it disappears from the listing when PS closes.
On this one it doesn’t.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
I don’t know, i’ve never seen anything like that. I get the ALM service and the 2 ~ed5141 files and nothing more.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 16, 2004
Might be worthwhile to check startup processes in the registry and verify legitimacy (MSCONFIG or equivalent).
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 16, 2004
Although I’d think it unlikely, another culprit to consider might be certain plug-ins, particularly if they differ between the PCs where the "gibberish services" are seen versus not. I don’t know of any plug-ins that would do this, but I don’t have that many myself.

Regards,

Daryl
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
I’ve checked everything. These are ‘Services’ not processes like the ~*.tmps. They can be seen by running ‘services.msc’ or the services tab of ‘msconfig’. Or, through regedit, ‘current control set\services’ key

I am 99% sure these come from ALM. Around December I called Adobe with a reactivation issue and asked about this and was told "Yes, we also have services running" So unless she thought I was talking about processes too, I guess they’re ‘legit.’

So, I forgot about it for some months. Checked recently before attempting winSP2. Now, this has once again gotten my goat.

This afternoon I checked the computer of a client and he’s got them.

Pure speculation: I think these have something to do with tracking the hardware state of the computer. Maybe on some systems they’re
invisible.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
"Yes, we also have services running"

if they’re services, they’ll be listed in the services control panel applet under administrative tools. (start> settings> control panel> administrative tools> services) look in there and see if you see them. Adobe Licence Manager is the only one I have. I also just checked task manager when ps is open and there’s nothing weird like that there.

chris? are you around? can these be legit and related to PS?
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
They can be seen by running ‘services.msc’ or the services tab of ‘msconfig’.

just tried both these things and nothing found. IMO, you’ve got something funky going on.
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah, extremely funky. I just want to know what this stuff is. This much is true:

If I disable them I will have to reactivate PSCS. I guess this is good in the general scheme of things?

There must be something in my config that is causing these to be listed. You know if you look at services in the registry there are about 4 times as many as show-up in services.msc or msconfig.

So, since I can see them easily, they annoy the heck out of me.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
where are you looking exactly (key name)?
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
Thanks for your interest in this

I see them here
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services

BTW searched google for ‘strange services on xp’

took me to experts-exchange, someone had same question, but he was just asking how to get rid of them, since I already know the answer to that I’m reluctant to pay the $10 to find their reply. I want to know what they are and where they come from. (safecast??)
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
Oh yeah, almost forgot, these ‘services’ never have the same name. If you see anything gibberishy– those are they.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 16, 2004
If you see anything gibberishy

no gibberish that i didn’t put there! 🙂
EH
Ed_Hansen
Aug 16, 2004
I’ll just live with this for the time being. I suppose I’d better catch-up on my retouching before everyone starts yelling at me.
Afterall, that’s what I bought CS for (not to plumb the inner depths of activation).

Gee, I still have 2.5 on floppies. I’ve been using PS for a long time without any problems. In fact until activation arrived, –nevermind.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections