Will more Ram help slowdown with 15 megapixel RAW files?

AS
Posted By
Anthony_Siciliano
Oct 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Duel Core Intel Xeon with 7GB of RAM. I recently upgraded my camera from a 10 megapixel to a 15 megapixel and shoot exclusively RAW. The larger files have caused a noticible slowdown and more spinning wheels in Photoshop CS3, especially when working with larger tools like photomerge and HDR. I plan to upgrade to CS4 soon.

Will more RAM significantly boost my speed, or is my computer reaching it’s max performance with the new technolobgy? Thanks!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 14, 2008
Do you have a separate HD for Scratch?

If not, installing one would make a huge difference to performance.
AS
Anthony_Siciliano
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, I do have a separate disk for scratch. Thanks for the thought.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 14, 2008
Yes RAM will likely help, especially in matched sets of 4 DIMMs properly installed. OWC <http://www.owcomputing.com/> has RAM and installation instructions.

Also note that hard drives should be kept underfilled (~50% for speed) and SATA connected.
P
progress
Oct 15, 2008
Ram wont make a difference unless your using all you have. Opening a 15mp 16 bit raw wont chew 7gb, even playing with HDR.

If not, it’s the processor straining under the load. Mine did it when I moved from 12mp to 22mp…plenty of ram, but it makes no odds… and it doesn’t chew 7gb either.

Perhaps your PS memory isn’t set right?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections